Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260352 - 02/05/17 11:29 PM New cockatoo owners  
Mango16 Offline
Mango16  Offline

I have recently gotten a rescue male cockatoo he s about 12 yrs old. When I first brought him home he would come to me and was being hormonal but now that we have stopped all that behavior he has nothing to do with me, at all I walk even close to him and he goes the other direction. He will go to my husband and my daughter but not me. Am I doing something wrong by not letting him be hormonal or will it get better. I've had him about 2 months. Any ideals please help..

#260353 - 02/06/17 01:52 PM Re: New cockatoo owners [Re: Mango16]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Two months is a very short time for a too. Give him time and lots of positive reinforcement and treats and he'll come around. You say you are not letting him be hormonal, exactly what are you doing to limit his behavior?

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260355 - 02/06/17 03:59 PM Re: New cockatoo owners [Re: Mango16]  
Mango16 Offline
Mango16  Offline

ok, i'm glad to hear that, We don't pet under under wings, and don't let him rub us. Also if he gets to frisky we put him up on his play ground or back in his cage. Thanks for responding

#260386 - 02/16/17 12:13 AM Re: New cockatoo owners [Re: Mango16]  
Mango16 Offline
Mango16  Offline

Mango has just totally has nothing to do with me, I can get him to eat from my fingers, but will not step up. when he doesn't step up I just shut the door and walk away and wait and do it again later that day. he has gotten where if i walk next to the door he runs to the back of his cage. I have worked with him on letting him come out on his own.with me being the only one in the room with him, and he goes crazy, I just don't understand why he is doing this,and I have set next to his cage, and talked with him, on daily basses. and still not seeing any change, what could i be doing wrong. He sees my husband and he perks all up and will step up no problems. My husband has not been in contact with him in over a week till today and he came in the room and he puffed up and started talking and stepped right up on him hand. we have had him about almost 3 months. Any ideals.. i just don't understand... Thanks and GOD BLESS

#260387 - 02/16/17 02:30 AM Re: New cockatoo owners [Re: Mango16]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
As Nancy said above 2 months is a short time to a Too. Three months is still a short time to a Too. It could take months or a year or more to change a Too's behavior.

It's hard to say why Mango doesn't appear to like you. Possibly he was mistreated by a female in his former home. They don't forget. Maybe it's something as simple as he doesn't like your hair style, or your glasses if you wear glasses, or your finger nail polish if you use that. It's possible it's something as simple as he just doesn't like you.

It's sad that these guys are so smart and we can only guess as to what they are thinking. Don't take it personally, go slow, and keep trying. Maybe try finding his favorite treat and only you make it available. Keep in mind most Toos don't like things changed but if we are crafty, sometimes we can get them to accept change. Keep trying and lets us know how it's going

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#260913 - 01/17/18 11:51 PM Re: New cockatoo owners [Re: Mango16]  
darby18 Offline
darby18  Offline

Make yourself a valuable person to him. What I mean, is do something that none of the other family members are doing, like giving him a specific treat or toy that he enjoys.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny