Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 35 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260324 - 01/28/17 02:54 AM Hi from Anaheim  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
Hi I am new to the forum I hope I am doing this right. I am a newly retired RN. My darling Mimi a severe macaw died last month after many happy years together. I am now a mom to an M2 I cannot say I rescued him as for 30 years this bird was wonderfully taken care of by a couple who loved him but due to family commitments could no longer care for him. I understand after 30 years bonding may take some time but I would really appreciate any advice on adopting an older bird. He is pretty quiet except for the am and pm chorus. He loves his cooked and raw veggies. He has been with me for 10 days he is not quite sure of me yet but I am sure we will get there. Am taking him to the vet for well bird exam next week. Thanks

#260330 - 01/28/17 08:58 PM Re: Hi from Anaheim [Re: Skippytoo]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Welcome

Seems your doing pretty well so far. Two weeks isn't long enough enough to know his true personality though. There is what is referred to as the"honey moon" period where the bird is on his/her best behavior until they figure out what they can get away with. So his personality may or may not change. As you've had a large parrot before, you likely know how to read their body language and that people teach parrots bad behavior.

He is eating well and the vet exam will be a good thing.

Cockatoos are very intelligent and their abilities to get into trouble should not be underestimated. If you have a specific question feel free to ask.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny