Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 47 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260299 - 01/24/17 08:39 PM vampire U2  
pavolizard Offline
pavolizard  Offline

I've had 'Trumpet' for 10 yrs plus now. I am her 2nd owner, I believe. (She was formerly a 'breeder'.) She and I have had a lovely and loving relationship up until about a yr ago, when she started 'pinching'. She always did take off any scabs on my (or my boyfriend who she thinks is her mate-he's been here over 5 yrs & while he discourages her getting on him to masterbate, she's pretty insistant on 'protecting' him etc.) arms or legs, but now Trumpet is MAKING small wounds through her pinching (beak) and has become a true blood-thirsty vampire! She is pinching both me and BF and nothing I've tried (distractions with toys, picking her up and moving her to my lap for scratches, yelling NO at her, making her go back inside her cage, etc.) works. Trumpet stays outside in her aviary during the day, then in the evening has full roaming. She has her open-door cage in the living room where we all congregate to watch TV, eat supper, share our day, etc. Her bloodwork and health are great. No changes in the last year, either inside or outside the house. Is it just that she has discovered the taste of blood and really likes it? Is there anything we can do to stop this behavior?

#260300 - 01/24/17 11:21 PM Re: vampire U2 [Re: pavolizard]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Welcome to Mytoos and to the world of living with a mature cockatoo. Please take the time to read the forums. Biting has been discussed over and over and consider yourself lucky if you are only being pinched.

Biting is a learned behavior in birds and is resorted to when the other forms of the birds communication is not being heard (body language). Once they learn that biting works as a form of communicating, of course they will continue to use it. It's not the taste of blood, it's the act of biting that gets your attention. If your BF is triggering hormonal behavior then he needs to have a hands off approach until her season passes...their natural breeding season is in full swing right now. It may require more in-cage time until it passes.

Analyze the situation and observe everything that she is telling you before she feels the need to bite. Yelling at her isn't going to change a thing, except that she might start yelling back. Remember, behavior has function.

Lots if good reading on this site and lots of topics in the behavior forum...read, read, read and read some more!!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny