Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 56 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260190 - 12/20/16 07:57 PM Weird behaviour  
Suvone Offline
Suvone  Offline

I've had Kelly for about four month. In the four months things have changed a lot. I'm her third home and I used to work from home so could spend a lot of time with her. Two months ago I started at a new office in another town and had to travel alot. She stayed in my house with my brother and only saw me a few days at a time. A month ago I finally moved and took her with me. We are now in a much smaller apartment and I'm forced to leave her alone during the day to work. All these things could be the problem. So what she does is this...
I leave her outside her cage at all times except to sleep. So when I come home she comes rushing down her cage and runs to me. If I stand still she runs around me in circles a few times, then stops to sits on my foot, then runs around again. She'll do this until I give her attention and if I don't she will attack me. Sometimes she runs to me and bites immediately. She has drawn blood a few times. When I take her to sit with me she is very calm and wants to cuddle under everything. She tried to climb under my dress and when I took her out she bit me. I don't know if she's stressed with all the change or looking for a mate and is frustrated. I read a lot about mating signals so know not to encourage it. I would really like her to be a happy bird and for me to be her last owner. She isn't plucking feathers although she is losing more than usual which is probably molting.

#260205 - 12/23/16 02:19 AM Re: Weird behaviour [Re: Suvone]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Quote:
I've had Kelly for about four month. In the four months things have changed a lot. I'm her third home and I used to work from home so could spend a lot of time with her. Two months ago I started at a new office in another town and had to travel alot. She stayed in my house with my brother and only saw me a few days at a time. A month ago I finally moved and took her with me. We are now in a much smaller apartment and I'm forced to leave her alone during the day to work. All these things could be the problem.

This is the problem. Cockatoos are gregarious flock animals and NEED a flock. You aren't providing it and the best, and most generous, thing you can do now is to take whatever time is needed to find her a real home. It's not too late because she doesn't know you as a reliable home right now.

I hate to sound rude but if you really love Kelly you will, starting right now, find her a safe, loving and reliable home. They do exist and you will feel great as well. It is very stressful living with a cockatoo that is not settled and comfortable. You know, and Kelly deserves a loving home. You also deserve a life!

Can we help you? Do you know where to go for help? Let us know if we can help.

Last edited by Charlie; 12/23/16 02:20 AM.
#260210 - 12/23/16 09:40 AM Re: Weird behaviour [Re: Suvone]  
Suvone Offline
Suvone  Offline

Thank you so much for the advise. That is exactly what I thought as well but needed to hear it from someone who knows. I'm going to go to our local animal rescue and ask if they know of someone. She needs a home where they don't keep her in her cage the whole day. She needs to be free. I hate the idea of keeping a bird in a cage.

#260212 - 12/23/16 02:05 PM Re: Weird behaviour [Re: Suvone]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Before you contacted your local animal rescue try giving your local avian vets office a call. They will be able to tell you the best place to call in your area. Not all animal rescues are able to accommodate large parrots. Quite often they are forced to keep them in the same rooms as other caged animals including cats.
We have members all over the country here and in other countries as well that may know of a good resource in your area. Many of the people working in avian rescues are members here. If you want to post where you are located, best to post what major city is closest to you.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny