Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 94 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#222760 - 06/27/10 07:01 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Cidsa]  
wildthing Offline
wildthing  Offline

Virginia,USA
that was....awefull

i was last in one of their stores around a yr ago...they were selling birds and fish that i remember....guessing nothing changed

#222790 - 06/28/10 03:51 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Kyrie]  
pineview01 Offline
pineview01  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Kyrie
The segment shown on The Today Show was edited from a longer video, part of which shows a cockatoo chick dying without medical care over the course of 45 days. The investigator kept asking if he could adopt her, but he was refused.

Click the link below to see the entire video and read the undercover investigator's account of conditions at Rainbow Exotics in Houston, a breeder/supplier which PetSmart buys birds and small animals from. The Video is disturbing. If you don't want to view it you can still read part of the investigators notes, and get involved in a letter writing campaign if you desire.

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/petsmart_investigation
I was looking for the vidio of the chick dying for the DH. I only found the RE vidio

My flock: Stewy-Tiel, Sky-B&G, Newton, Ping & Pong-OWA's,Don Juan-YNA, Cody & Rocky-U2's, Merlin-M2
#222793 - 06/28/10 04:06 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: pineview01]  
pineview01 Offline
pineview01  Offline

MI
Never mind found it. Showed it to DH and he is sick about it says he will never shop there again! (Never mind I told him all about this before. He had to see it.)

My flock: Stewy-Tiel, Sky-B&G, Newton, Ping & Pong-OWA's,Don Juan-YNA, Cody & Rocky-U2's, Merlin-M2
#222808 - 06/28/10 03:35 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: pineview01]  
wildthing Offline
wildthing  Offline

Virginia,USA
good!! they wont listen when they are sent letters so vote with your dollar <or lack of it> since they seem to prize that most of all. maybe the lack of us spending there will get their corporate attention...thats what the reef keeping community did and it helped a little tho they still sell fish at least they arent mass murdering corals and sending home sick corals to kill other peoples tanks too.

#222827 - 06/28/10 06:29 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: wildthing]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

While videos like this are so disturbing to those of us who love our angels, it is important to watch them and share them. Anyone who comes into our home expressing interest in birds, is quickly sat down to watch some of these videos. A picture/video is worth more than words can ever express. It is up to us to do all we can, for the angels who cant speak for themselves. I keep Mytoos cards with me at all times, and pass them out to folks. I do visit our local pet stores constantly, and if I see birds for sale, I start communication with the owners (I never purchase from these stores). The pet stores that dont sell birds, I praise them for not doing so, and explain why. I may not win all the battles, but I will do all I can to help stop the breeding and selling of birds. It is a promise I have made to my flock!

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#222851 - 06/29/10 12:38 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
pineview01 Offline
pineview01  Offline

MI
I think the letters and campaign a while back, about 7/8 ? years ago, did some good. Our Petco and Petsmart used to carry large parrots. After the campain our Petco stopped and about a year later Petsmart stopped. They both still sell the little guys.

#222864 - 06/29/10 04:25 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
I think (this is purely personal and I take total responsibility for my beliefs) that PETA is an extremist group and I try very hard to stay away from all of those organizations.

I am a true believer that doing the right thing is the logical thing and support what Shakespeare advocated, the 'golden mean'. Bottom ine is, we need to do the best with what we have in a socially responsible and cognizant way.

Most of us will all want to have companion animals at some point, but let's make sure that the animals that are chosen are suited to the adopter and that all the information is provided to them.

You all beleve as I do, that animals shoudn't be sythansized ust because by are ino
cinvnetnd

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#222903 - 06/30/10 01:09 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
Hi Lucy's Mom,
Could not make out your last sentence???
I think if the money and lobbying groups protecting industries that regularly are cruel and inhumane in their treatment of animals were not so powerful, extreme tactics would not be needed...
Our society likes to be comfortably numb to what happens to chickens, ducks, cows, pigs, calfs, and animals we keep as "pets", never mind what circus' do....
I hope there is no need someday soon!
That is MHO...
Tania

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#236004 - 08/01/11 01:52 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Cassie's_girl]  
KelvinCluv Offline
KelvinCluv  Offline

Maine
Before I even saw this video I went to Petsmart to buy some toys for g2, and there was this conure there. I stopped and talk to him for a little while, the poor baby was all puffed up and shaking, his feathers didn't look healthy and his eyes were half closed and secreting... Didn't look like this bird was going to make it. When I got out of the store (leaving like $30 behind for a couple of perches and a treat), I was crying. Those people are trying to get big buck for a bird that clearly needs medical attention! It is so unfair... I don't even want to go there anymore. Who is going to stick up for those poor creatures????

#236060 - 08/02/11 03:06 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Cassie's_girl]  
Wally728 Offline
Wally728  Offline

Kingston, PA
We have Pet Supplies Plus here as well. They have a nice variety of unsalted treats (sunflower seeds, peanuts, corn kernels) that you can buy the pound. Very convenient.

I can't believe that guy was doing invasive suturing with no gloves and clorox wipes as his antiseptic. Animal or human, the pathophyiology of infections does not change. How horrible.

#239014 - 11/01/11 01:55 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Most of what my guys eat is either "people food" (veggies, nuts, seeds, whole grains) from whole-food places, or pellets from a store that shares space with the local animal rescue. I make most of their toys. Just a "primitive" at heart, I guess. . .except I can get really chained to the computer sometimes. . .(sigh)

Jody
#246352 - 07/24/12 08:38 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
4Fids3Kids Offline
4Fids3Kids  Offline

Southern California
This is ridiculous. The reporter finally picks up the sick cockatoo on its dying day. She let that baby parrot suffer all for the sake of a story. She had plenty of footage to get her point across, without having to wait for the baby parrot to die. That parrot did not have to be the one to die for the many. I believe the video could have served just as useful, if she had taken action to save Angel.

I don't usually comment on things like this, but that just really made me mad. She was more concerned about providing drama for her story then coming to the aid of the bird. Did she want to see the story through to the bird dying so her point could be made? They are all reprehensible.

#246451 - 07/27/12 08:19 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals ?- VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
If a bird is allowed to die in misery because of somebody's greed, the greedy person killed that bird, by torture. If a "concerned person" uses the bird's death, filming the process of torture, it seems to me that the "concern" is pretty shallow. I hate to be the one to rock the boat, but "cold-blooded" is not a consistent adjective to go with "compassion". It is not possible to "have compassion" on an idea. Compassion means feeling with, and ideas are not feeling entities. If I have to pretend that it's okay to ignore suffering to the point of refusing to make an attempt to stop that suffering, I have become part of the "sacrificing" of that individual. I will not sacrifice any lliving thing to anything smaller than the God Who Is the Creator and owner of that beast, and of me, because if I do, I am guilty of idolatry. I am responsible for the creatures within my reach. I am not able to pretend to know how any action of mine will play out, for blame or good, but I do know that I am commanded not to withhold good to anyone who needs it, if it is in my power to give good.

Jody
#251245 - 03/27/13 02:15 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Crzybrdldy Offline
Crzybrdldy  Offline

I was horrified when I saw the video on pet smart and rainbow. I bought one bird from them. Luckily she is a healthy 2 year old sun conure. I will not purchase anything from pet smart again, not even bird food.

#252734 - 07/25/13 05:54 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
Sunflower Offline
Sunflower  Offline

OMG, I can't even watch something like that. Just hearing about it is enough. We do have a Petsmart here; thankfully they don't sell large birds. I actually haven't been in there in a while. We've been going to PetCo because we buy frozen rats for my brother's python there. It's the only pet store that sells them. I know PetCo sells cockatiels and parakeets (along with small furry animals like mice and ferrets and whatnot) and every time I go in there, I stop to watch them play for a minute. They all look pretty healthy. It seems like all the pet stores here have all stopped selling pets for the most part. You can't go into a pet store here and purchase a parrot at all any more. It's either Petsmart or PetCo, I can't remember which one it is now, but one of them sells conures too but nothing big. Every time I've gone in, they've always had plenty of food and water, the cages have been clean and the birds all look pretty healthy. But that's here. We had three pet stores (four, actually, that I know of but we haven't been to the other one in YEARS) here but I think one of them closed not too long ago. I don't know what the reason was, I just remember hearing something about it going out of business and closing. We don't buy bird food from the pet stores though. We've been getting it through the refuge where we adopted our U2.

There used to be a pet store in the mall (Pet Land) years ago but it closed down because of accusations of animal abuse that put it out of business. It doesn't exist any more. There's still a pet supply store in the mall, but it doesn't sell any animals.

The only way that you can even get a parrot here is either from a breeder (and I refuse to do that), someone who has one and doesn't want it/can't continue taking care of it any more for whatever reason (good luck with that option because I don't know of anyone here who has one) or from a shelter. We adopted ours from a shelter. The only reason we even go to pet stores now is to get flea drops (since the pet store is the only place we can get them) for the cats and dogs and frozen rats for my brother's python. I do look through the bird supplies while we're there, but they don't even sell anything for large birds.

#259265 - 01/20/16 08:30 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
Chantal Offline
Chantal  Offline

Whatever happened with this? I won't watch the video. I know I cannot handle it.

#259277 - 01/22/16 06:24 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
The baby died and Petsmart is still in business. Hopefully the wee cockatoos suffering made at least a few people rethink supporting the bird trade industry. I cried for days after watching the video. I won't watch it again, once was too much.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#260174 - 12/18/16 04:29 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
As far as I know PetSmart in Michigan stopped sellimg large birds yeara ago. hopefully other petsmarts will do the same

#260176 - 12/18/16 02:52 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Petsmart and Petco both signed agreements with PETA to no longer sell birds larger than Sun Conures. They are still selling the small birds unfortunately.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny