Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260114 - 11/27/16 02:24 AM New owner with questions  
Dewey's Slave Offline
Dewey's Slave  Offline

Colorado
Hello! I am new and hope that this is the right forum for my questions. I rescued Dewey from an unstable situation four weeks ago and am learning volumes from her and this site. She ate pellets for the first time today after I saw someone's suggestion that some birds do better with a warm mash smile. I have several questions regarding behaviors and welfare.

Why does "white noise" from the vacuum or furnace blower cause her to bathe?

Why does she peel fresh willow sticks (about 4" long) then rub them on the bars of her cage?

The past few days she goes into a zone and spends 10 or 15 minutes on the floor in one corner of her cage, scratching, foraging, chewing wood, and pushing her beak around. The floor is full of things meant for her to forage, but she seems frenetic and it's impossible to distract her. Is this neurosis or fun??

She paced neurotically at first but rarely does so now. Her out-of-cage behavior seems relatively normal. She's becoming more comfortable not being velcro.

Is it possible for a Cockatoo to adapt to two homes? I live alone, and a close friend and I have discussed being co-moms so that no matter what happens with one or the other of us, Dewey will always be with someone whom she knows and who understands her needs. The friend does raptor education and is amazing with her. She will also learn the peculiarities and expectations before committing.

Last edited by Dewey's Slave; 11/27/16 05:59 AM.
#260116 - 11/27/16 06:03 AM Re: New owner with questions [Re: Dewey's Slave]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
It's been said that, at least with rain forest birds, that a vacuum sounds like rain falling on the rain forest trees. Not sure about cockatoos as they don't live in rain forest but our M2 does the same thing and she generally hates to get wet.

Some species of birds are known to make tools. Maybe Dewey is doing same or just likes the vibration or something else about dragging stick across bars.

Your third question about Dewey being "in a zone." Sounds like typical mating behavior which should be discouraged if possible. Mating behavior can occur year around but some are limited to 2-3 months of a year. Out M2 typically does this from Nov - Feb but hasn't really started yet for whatever reason.

Your last question about two different houses is interesting. I think many Toos would not accept this but thats not saying you couldn't make it work. Toos generally accept change slowly or not at all. Our Too goes to 2 different houses but with her same people. We have our normal home and a lake property home about 75 miles away. The first year, Chucki was skittish about the new surroundings and cage when we would take her to the lake. Now it's no big deal.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#260117 - 11/27/16 03:19 PM Re: New owner with questions [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
My RB2s appear to adapt to changes and new things. They used to go ballistic over the garbage disposal sound, but now they pay no attention. They like routines, but we vary them occasionally when we can so that they can continue to adapt to new things. I think it is good to balance the routines with new things now and then so they do not go ballistic when something new happens. When you do something new, then praise them and act like it is a good thing and they will pick up on it.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#260120 - 11/27/16 08:29 PM Re: New owner with questions [Re: Dewey's Slave]  
Dewey's Slave Offline
Dewey's Slave  Offline

Colorado
Thank you! I will read more on mating behavior. This morning she was in the "zone" for over an hour, mostly rubbing her newly-peeled willow stick all over the corner-floor of the cage. Now she's asleep on my lap, exhausted.

Because her owner used a spray bottle to punish her when she screamed frown she is afraid of misters so I'm happy to find a way that she'll bathe on her own...I see that there are white-noise generators and natural sounds available so I'll try some and see what works. Then, figure out how to keep her warm enough until she's completely dry. Maybe one of those hair dryers that they use is salons will cover both needs laugh!!

It looks like my friend and I will just have to see how Dewey reacts to change and go from there. It's good to know that at least some do all right.

By the way, the only times that she's screamed to the point of annoyance I was able to find a reason...two big blood feathers coming in (she pulled them), company after dark, too much light after dark, or being awakened. She's reasonably quiet most of the time.

#260121 - 11/30/16 03:21 AM Re: New owner with questions [Re: Dewey's Slave]  
Dewey's Slave Offline
Dewey's Slave  Offline

Colorado
Holy cow! I spent another zillion hours reading and found this link elsewhere on this site that explains so much!

https://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/blogs/news/2383522-problem-sexual-behaviors-of-companion-parrots

This should be required reading. After watching her for a few more days, Dewey's "zone" is definitely hormonal nesting behavior as Chuckie's Dad suggested, and this link helped me to understand its causes and potential harm. The willow sticks that she loves so much to shred may have actually triggered the hormones. That, along with several other things: The corner-floor of the cage she focuses on has an upright split log that I imagined would give her something to climb and chew. I see now that she sees it as a place to nest and is trying to create a cavity there (she tried to do the same in the corner of the couch this morning). And so on, with food and light and oh my gosh, a species specific doctorate in avian biology and behavior should be required before anyone is allowed to even consider taking on such a creature...

But y'all know that. Thanks for being such a great resource.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny