Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#245002 - 05/29/12 01:30 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Jeana Offline
Jeana  Offline

Good morning,
This panic thing is a new thing for him, he has been doing it for the last month, when is is brave enough to step onto me, i will sit on the floor now in front of his cage and give his cuddles,(happened yesterday) for some reason he stresses out when he can't see his cage, this has never been the case, he has always been stuck to me, reguarding the screaming, when he starts, i will walk into view, in the living room where he can see me but not actually pay attention to him, i think he just needs to know where i am,
Sam is clipped but mostly grown back in now, when he does get clipped the vet doesn't clip to far back, he glides to the floor then run like crazy, I have stood by his cage to cuddle him, and he is happy, but not away from his cage. this is all new for him, he is usually so outgoing,

#245004 - 05/29/12 01:55 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Freebird1969 Offline
Freebird1969  Offline

Surrey, UK
Sorry I don't understand, you say he panics when he can't see his cage, yet surely he could see his cage if he was on your shoulder and then you began to sit in front of it?

I am trying to gauge why he suddenly paniced when on your shoulder yesterday ;S.

The cage (being his domain) would make him feel secure. I think you definately going to have to go back to the basics with him. When he starts making a noise you might want to try a contact call back rather than show yourself.

I do hope he settles down again soon. He needs lots of reassurance bless him, and confidence building. If you get the time Id love to see a picture of him and his surroundings ;o).

Owed by, Suki (MSC), Coco (Citron), Oliver (U2)& lots of little ones
http://www.parrotcare.org.uk/
#245005 - 05/29/12 03:59 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Jeana Offline
Jeana  Offline

This is just been a recent thing with him, (about a month) I think when i take him from the bird room, perhaps he thinks he is going to the vet again, it would seem all of this started around the time he fractured his beak, and i think he feels safe in his cage, I have no clue though, I was cleaning his cage this morning, and was knelt on the floor, he stepped onto my shoulder all on his own, I was bend over cleaning and there he was, he snuggled in and sat for about a minute and off he went, he is trying. I am wondering if perhaps this is due to hormonal changes in him, When i went to clean his cage it looked like a beaver was let loose in it, lol he is chewing pine like crazy, and noticed today he gets a little concerned when i take it away, I give him fresh chewies and he is all good again, If i can figure out how to post a pic i would,

#245006 - 05/29/12 04:12 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Jeana Offline
Jeana  Offline

this is Sammy this morning, and his handywork from the night before,
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o503/jeana55/036.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o503/jeana55/034.jpg
and a video of the bird room, the blanket around the back of the greys cages is because they are eating the wall, the buggers, this is safer, doesn't look the nicest but it works, You will see Sammy in the video, his location, cage etc,
http://youtu.be/KEMv9vYW1uI

Last edited by Jeana; 05/29/12 04:53 PM.
#245009 - 05/29/12 04:38 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Freebird1969 Offline
Freebird1969  Offline

Surrey, UK
Oh I love the photos! He look so content ;o) Its great to see him enjoying himself on all that wood chipping lol.

I've always wondered if I could sell bags to the local garden centre with the wood chips mine produce everyday lol. Thanks for the pics.

#245010 - 05/29/12 04:56 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Jeana Offline
Jeana  Offline

Oh i know, I give them to my neighbor to burn, he uses them for kindling, and I give it to the greys for them to chew, I posted a video of the bird room, birds, etc,

#245022 - 05/29/12 10:33 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
A rescue with several, or many, birds, needs to maintain a working relationship with the local garden centres: munched wood and paper mulch, mixed with cage-bottom "whatnot", should be a marketable resource, and vegetable and herb plants that don't get sold can be donated, or bought at discount, to be planted on the grounds, perhaps out of birds' reach, for at least one season to leach the potting additives out of them, and then can be used for birdfood!
Perennial herbs like lavender, rosemary, oregano, chives, aloe, and several culinary ones can even be in cages, so the birds have constant access.
This can make cleaning complicated, or simple, depending on how the aviaries or birdrooms are set up.

Jody
#245031 - 05/30/12 03:04 AM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
PJsMom Offline
Lives Here
PJsMom  Offline
Lives Here

California
WOW!!!! What a Pile of chips. I'm glad the beak is doing better! You know I was just wondering if it might be something simple? maybe there might be a shadow that is freaking your baby out. I know PJ doesn't like low light situations and he tends to be extremely jumpy so we bought lighting that mimics sunlight and make it bright for him. PJ freaks over sunspots and shadows.

PJ owns 2 adults, 1 Grandma and everybody else is his playtoys.
#245034 - 05/30/12 09:59 AM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Freebird1969 Offline
Freebird1969  Offline

Surrey, UK
Yes I agree simple things like lighting can make a huge difference smile. I loved the video of your set up too, I had to wait till I was home to view it as YouTube is banned at work. I thought it was great, especially your java tree in the middle, I thought your bird room looked very relaxed and spacious for your flock. It was great to see so many toys!

#245036 - 05/30/12 05:38 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Jeana Offline
Jeana  Offline

Freebird, as you can tell my birds are very important in my life so when Sammy decided he was having issues it was upsetting, on a happy note, i think i might have figured out his problem, yeaaaa......... It would seem he really disliked the tractors and road crew working on the road outside the window, they have moved on and i noticed last night Sammy was not running away from me, he let me rub his head, etc, he came running down to the living room door, aid or rather yelled helllloooo then ran back to his cage, funny little bugger, he allows me to approach him, still not big on coming away from his cage but hey baby steps,
i thought i would share this pic, seems i wasn't putting the chewies in his cage fast enough and he went to help himself, I thought it was funny.
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o503/jeana55/004.jpg
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o503/jeana55/003.jpg
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o503/jeana55/002.jpg

#245037 - 05/30/12 07:21 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Tractors and road equipment are a huge no-no at our house. In addition to the grating sound, parrots and cockatoos can sense them well away because of the Herbst corpusule, a nerve ganglia in the knee area that can sense vibration before we can see or hear anything. This is why parrots can be aware of earthquakes well before humans. I'm glad you have eliminated one more trigger!

#245050 - 05/31/12 03:24 AM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
PJsMom Offline
Lives Here
PJsMom  Offline
Lives Here

California
Ok that explains why PJ goes nuts when the yearly Harley Davidson ride visits the 3 Shastas by my house! It takes them at least 45 minutes to go by! Must be 500 Harley's. Puts out one heck of a growl.
I'm so glad it's something Simple Jeana, Sammy sure is a cutie pie.

PJ owns 2 adults, 1 Grandma and everybody else is his playtoys.
#260065 - 11/06/16 07:16 AM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Gabers Offline
Gabers  Offline

I am glad I came on to this sight. I too am having the same issues with my TOO, Gabers. I bought and bright him home 4 months ago. What alove bug. I was told he had a foul language and did not like kids. His name was Gabe, but we changed it to Gabers. He came from an aggressive home to our fun loving home. Gabers and I had a strong bond. Until one day he just ram from me and well not allow me to come close either. It has been about 5 weeks now being patient tool today. He allowed me to come closer and play with him on the floor. I'll take this. Yea. Hard to be patient. I will keep ready on how you and Sammy are doing learning what I also can do to cast a bond with Gabers again. Tannin you

#260066 - 11/06/16 07:16 AM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Gabers Offline
Gabers  Offline

Oops. Thank you

#260068 - 11/06/16 01:54 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Gabers you need to start your own thread. This one is from 2012. When you need assistance the best thing is to post a new thread that people can respond to.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260070 - 11/07/16 05:55 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Jeana]  
Gabers Offline
Gabers  Offline

I tried looking for a way to make a "new thread". I can't find where to go. Need help. Gabers.

#260072 - 11/07/16 09:28 PM Re: Cockatoo doesn't love me anymore, HELP [Re: Gabers]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Here is a thread started for you, Gabers. It is in the General Cockatoo Discussion.

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=260071#Post260071

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny