Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 70 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260046 - 10/27/16 06:09 AM Introduction - me and my U2  
WildLife Offline
WildLife  Offline

Hudson Valley, NY
Hello! I'm new here, although I admit to lurking ever since I adopted Hailey (a 12 year old U2) six months ago. Actually, I did a lot of research before I agreed to adopt her and this forum/site was invaluable! I've worked with animals for a long time but didn't have any real experience with parrots. I was shocked to learn I was a "bird person" after rearing turkeys as pets and discovering how intelligent, affectionate, and amazing they were; I started to suspect I might get along well with an avian roommate in the house. So far, everything has been fantastic. She was so lonely and desperate for attention the first time I met her, I believe she would have been ecstatic and thrilled for ANYONE to handle her- the way she showed off, talked, and displayed without stop seemed so desperate, it broke my heart. I went back two days later and brought her home and shes been my best friend ever since. I do believe she would have loved anyone for giving her the attention she so desperately needed, but I'm definitely "her human" now,in fact apparently I'm her "human mate" and im working on not encouraging that (not encouraging hormonal behavior, nesting behavior, etc) because she is jealous with my family/friends. She was destroying and picking her feathers terribly before I got her, even what little she had left were dirty and crunchy, like she'd stopped preening altogether. Within a couple of days, her sparse feathers were clean and soft at least and within a few weeks she became a fluff ball of down feathers smile Now we're just working on the occasional (and bloody) attack/plucking of a pin feather if anyone has specific advice (I've done some searching for sure and still am!). It seems like the larger pin feathers are uncomfortable or itchy, idk.. It'd take a while to explain why I think that, but I try to stop her (distract her with something else or a walk) and it works.. Until the next morning when I discover she ripped it out in her cage overnight.
My goodness, I'm sorry this has gotten so long lol! Everything else is so great and I think I can speak for her and say we're both very happy and got lucky in finding each other. I'm glad to have found this forum before I got her and thank you for all the great (and honest) information/opinions/advice etc! I'm truly very grateful and I think this site has really helped us get off to a good start.

#260049 - 10/27/16 11:01 PM Re: Introduction - me and my U2 [Re: WildLife]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Welcome to Mytoos. You didn't mention it but a visit to an avian vet is recommended. This is to establish a base line for your Too and a relationship with the vet as well. This could help you not wait 2-3 days to be seen by the vet if some kind of emergency should come up. Plus they might be able to provide some assistance for the feather issue. Thanks for taking this gal in. Sounds like your doing pretty well so far.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#260050 - 10/28/16 12:41 AM Re: Introduction - me and my U2 [Re: WildLife]  
WildLife Offline
WildLife  Offline

Hudson Valley, NY
Thanks for the welcome and reply, Chucki's Dad, glad to be here smile
I did plan to soon after getting her but I had trouble finding a local avian vet at first and then my very elderly dog suddenly started going downhill and it turned out she had a bone tumor. All available funds went to that until there were no options left and I had to let her go. Now the only hold up taking Hailey to the vet is waiting for my paycheck tomorrow so I'll be making an appointment for this week coming up. I hope it wasn't bad to wait so long but there were no other birds in the house she came from and the woman said she had been to the vet that year (she only had Hailey a little over a year, she got her not knowing anything about birds and the kind of time/care she would need). I know I shouldn't just take her word for it but she did give me the name/number of the vet she used so mine could get the paperwork faxed over.
I'm a little unsure of what I really should have done at the vets actually. On the phone they mentioned different types of blood panels and tests and I wonder if I should have her sexed there too just to be sure. Are there certain things I should make sure the vet does or is that pretty automatic for a birdy initial exam? My regular vet doesn't do exotics at all unfortunately frown

#260052 - 10/28/16 03:24 AM Re: Introduction - me and my U2 [Re: WildLife]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
This is what our Av vet does.

Yearly Gram stains. Beak and poop. This looks for bacteria and yeast infections.

Blood panels. Cant remember exact things tested off top of my head right now but looks for minimum and maximum of different body functions such as liver. Our flock only gets this every 2-3 years if previous test was normal.

General visual exam.

DNA is a nice to know thing but not necessary right now if funds are an issue.

You should be able to be with your bird during the exam. This lets you see how the staff/vet handles your bird.

Its important to know that birds hide illnesses very well, sometimes until its almost too late. In my first post I mentioned developing a relationship with your vet. Our Too had become seriously ill on a Friday evening when we were on vacation at our lake property some years back. I called our vet first thing Saturday morning and explained what I was seeing and where we were, her only comment was "when you get here" we will immediately look at her. I think the vet closes at 1PM on Saturday and we were there until at least 3PM. We left with a much improved but still seriously sick Too and a bag of meds. Within a week our Too was back to normal.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#260053 - 10/28/16 12:41 PM Re: Introduction - me and my U2 [Re: WildLife]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Welcome to Mytoos. It's great to see someone so willing to do the research to offer a too a good home.
Mark has given you some great information on the vet.

http://www.mytoos.com/noelle.shtml
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=217488&page=1
http://www.mytoos.com/articles.shtml
These post and articles are worth the time to read. It's going to give you a good deal of information and ideas that may help you with Hailey's plucking.

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 10/28/16 12:42 PM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260055 - 10/29/16 09:34 PM Re: Introduction - me and my U2 [Re: WildLife]  
WildLife Offline
WildLife  Offline

Hudson Valley, NY
Hi Nancy! Thanks for the welcome, I feel like I know you, I've read so many of your comments over the last few months haha smile
I actually worked as a vet tech for 8 years before going back to college full time, but it was just a reg "small animal practice" so cats n dogs mainly; parrots are very new to me. But I feel like dealing with a new species of animal is like learning a foreign language so I am def studying as much as I can and immersing myself in the culture so I can "speak parrot" better haha.
Can someone tell me what an "adult" cockatoo is? I've tried to look it up, but I've seen different ages mentioned. Is there a certain range? She's 12,so I'm curious if her personality would be pretty stable yet.
And thank you both for the advice! I know this forum advocates using the search engine - which I do! But I've done so much digging and there is so much information to pour through, so it's great to get some specific suggestions/advice! And to be pointed in the right direction- I will definitely be reading those articles. I just made Hailey's apt for Tuesday, I'm actually excited about her first visit, I don't know why lol

Last edited by WildLife; 10/29/16 09:38 PM.
#260056 - 10/30/16 12:32 AM Re: Introduction - me and my U2 [Re: WildLife]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Hailey at 12 is an adult. Take some time and think about what you would like to talk with the vet about. Write down all your questions and bring them with you. The first appointment can be pretty over whelming for both of you. I can't tell you how often I've taken Cassie in for an exam and left only to remember that important question I wanted to ask.
Always remember that speaking parrot is body language and eye expression!! This is going to take you a bit of time to learn.
I hope my post that you have read where helpful. Sometimes I have a habit of trying to answer on the fly so leaving people with even more questions. Being a vet tech is my 3rd career, lol. All things that I wanted to do when I grew up. I just waited to to the best ones until I retired from the 30+ year first career.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny