Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259938 - 08/27/16 03:17 AM Preparing/disinfecting large perches  
Rocky and Shay Offline
Rocky and Shay  Offline

Myers Flat, Victoria, Australi...
Hi there,

I have just bought a huge new outdoor cage for my 10 year old Sulphur Crested Too. We live in the bush in Australia so have loads of safe Eucalyptus and other tree branches readily available. I am going to need long perches though that will not fit in my oven to 'bake'. I am wondering if anyone could please give me some advice on alternative ways to disinfect and prepare larger branches?

Thanks in advance!

#259939 - 08/27/16 05:52 AM Re: Preparing/disinfecting large perches [Re: Rocky and Shay]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
You can scrub them with GSE and allow them to "cure" in the sun. Be sure you are selecting the branches from areas that are insecticide free. Happy decorating!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#259940 - 08/27/16 06:15 AM Re: Preparing/disinfecting large perches [Re: Rocky and Shay]  
hellococky Offline
hellococky  Offline

Victoria, Australia
I also am in Victoria (Melbourne), good to see a fellow Aussie here, welcome! Where is Myer's Flat?

I have a big lemon scented gum tree in my backyard & have always used it's branches to furnish Sam's cage (also a Sulphur Crested 'too), also to replace the ladder rungs on his stand/ play gym as he chews through them, I don't treat them...is that bad? I don't use any insecticides on my property & figured they would be safe, I don't use 'fresh' ones, rather those from a big pile down the back that I'm constantly adding to when I pick up the fallen branches & the ones my dog drags out to play with. Sam is healthy, so I'm guessing it's ok...am I a bad 'mother'??? Should I start doing things differently?

Also, what's GSE?

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem
Cheers,
Tracy-Ann & Sam
#259941 - 08/27/16 11:00 AM Re: Preparing/disinfecting large perches [Re: EchosMom]  
Rocky and Shay Offline
Rocky and Shay  Offline

Thank you! I am unsure of what GSE is though...Is it an American product? I live in the bush so its all natural around here with no insecticides. We are spoiled for choice of natural branches... lucky..

#259942 - 08/27/16 11:10 AM Re: Preparing/disinfecting large perches [Re: hellococky]  
Rocky and Shay Offline
Rocky and Shay  Offline

Hi Hellococky. Thanks for the welcome! Myers Flat is outside of Bendigo. I live on a fair sized bush block and we have loads of Cockys and other wild birds who hang out here. It is so great! What part of Melbourne are you from? I was living there for many years until this tree change 18 months ago.

I would think if Sam is healthy then that all sounds ok but I don't know much about this. I let Rocky pull apart my firewood which is Red gum and its great because he gets to be destructive and I get kindling. He loves it and he is also really healthy so I am not too concerned.

#259943 - 08/27/16 12:06 PM Re: Preparing/disinfecting large perches [Re: Rocky and Shay]  
hellococky Offline
hellococky  Offline

Victoria, Australia
Hi Shay, you live in a lovely part of the country, I've been up there a couple of times, its beautiful. I have family in Ballarat.
I live in Scoresby, about 40 minutes south-east of the city on a good run on the Eastlink. I'm around the corner from The Melbourne Bird Clinic.

I often think of doing the whole tree change thing, but since my brain injury a few years back I don't think I would cope with stress of selling & moving, the idea is great, but the reality scares the heck out of me. Also changing jobs would be hard too, I like my job & my employer has been so good to me. If I did move I would love to move out to the High Country, Mansfield or somewhere around there.

I grew up in the Dandenong Ranges, we had an abundance of bird life in the backyard, cockies included, black & white ones. I never really noticed them much then, I knew they were there & constantly heard about the damage they caused, but they were about as much of the scenery as the trees, you just took them for granted, but since I got Sam, when I'm up that way (even near my work, in Croydon) I hear them & smile, sometimes even saying "hi there" in response to 'calling' sounds...he has made me understand them better. It's such a shame that he can never experience what they do, he has had a wing damaged at some stage in one of his former homes (had at least 3) & can't stretch out his left wing, which still gives him pain occasionally, he will never fly, sadly. He's such an awesome bird & has come so far in the almost 2 years I've had him. I just love him to bits...even when he is being a little pain in the butt!

I always figured that the wild birds are eating / chewing the gum tree branches around here, so they should be fine for Sam, especially if they are 'aged' a bit in the backyard to allow any bugs (the bacterial kind) to die off in the sun. Everyone on here seems to be worried about them though, perhaps things are different in the US. I'm sure someone will chime in with some handy information at some stage though, that's what's great about this site. I don't know what I would have done or how I would have managed without it, Sam was an unexpected addition to my home & I had no idea how to look after a cocky when I rescued him, but we managed with the help of these wonderful people & the information here...they have become part of Sam & my family on the other side of the world :-)

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem
Cheers,
Tracy-Ann & Sam
#259944 - 08/27/16 01:13 PM Re: Preparing/disinfecting large perches [Re: Rocky and Shay]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Here's a link to an article on GSE
http://www.healthychild.org/non-toxic-cleaning-in-the-kitchen-sanitize-naturally-2/

I use bleach to wash and white vinegar to rinse then drying in the sun to disinfect my cages large perches.
The thing that we all fear is disease and parasites from deposits on outdoor tree branches here. Right now I know here in the Northeast US spraying of insecticides is a real concern.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny