Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259851 - 07/09/16 12:22 PM New cockatoo in the home. HELP!!!!!!  
Nat1 Offline
Nat1  Offline

Uk
We have adopted a 6 year old female ducorp cockatoo. We have never had a bird like this before and just wanted some advice on her behaviour. She much prefers men but can myself and my 14 y/o daughter get her to like us as much???
She has a drink and then dribbles the water form her mouth on the her feet. Is that a normal thing?????
She is missing some feathers, will they grow back???
She shouts when we leave the room but then appears scared when we come back in. Is this just until she gets used to us??? We have only had her a week.

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me. X

Last edited by Nat1; 07/09/16 12:28 PM.

Nat
#259852 - 07/09/16 02:17 PM Re: New cockatoo in the home. HELP!!!!!! [Re: Nat1]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Welcome to Mytoos. Thank you for taking this girl into your lives. I'm sitting her chuckling reading your questions. Don't be offended, your post reminds me of when I first got Cassie.
It seems like all toos have some sort of quirky behavior. Have you brought her to the vet yet for a well bird check up? Review all of your concerns with the vet because some behaviors can be indications of physical problems.
Some feathers will grow back after being plucked, it depends on if the follicle is damaged. There are also spots on the body that are bald naturally.
Shouting begin to use a contact call with her. Make a noise or use a consistent word that you call to her while out of the room. Tell her when you leave the room where you are going. Example I have to go to kitchen, be right back. I use noise that Cassie uses to let her know I'm still around. It's "blip" funny but it works. I call to her by saying blip and she will return the same call to me. It's funny to see the reaction of company at the house when I turn my head and holler "Blip" It becomes a habit and you will do it without thinking. It took some time to get her to do this but like I said consistency was key. Each time I would leave the room I would tell her, blip a couple of times and wait for a response from her. Once she blipped I would blip back to her. It became a sort of game.
Give her time to adjust to everyone in the home. And yes she will like you or at least tolerate you but only if you show her your wealth. Remove one favorite food item or treat from her bowls. Keep them separate and you and your daughter be the only ones that offer her that special treat when you enter the room. Avoid interacting/touching her if she's with the favorite person. Cockatoos will bite if they think they are being threatened or they perceive danger. They will also bite the person they are with to warn them to move away from the danger. Keep her off shoulders to avoid a bite to the face.
At the top right side of the page there is a search feature. There are literally thousands of post on all sorts of information. Choose a topic word or phrase and put it in parenthesis, example "diet" and dates older than 1 day,week or year and newer than 15 years. If you don't find what you're looking for ask on the board. There are usually people on or checking in through out the day.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#259854 - 07/10/16 11:12 PM Re: New cockatoo in the home. HELP!!!!!! [Re: Nat1]  
Nat1 Offline
Nat1  Offline

Uk
Thanks for your help. After now having her a week she has started to adjust a little more. She loves peas so my daughter gives them to her as a reward for putting one foot onto her hand. And she is slowly building it up.

She loves to dance so I play her music to get her to come to me.

We are all working hard and I seems to be paying off.

Will book her in for a check at the vets.

Nat and Molly. X

Nat
#259857 - 07/12/16 01:09 PM Re: New cockatoo in the home. HELP!!!!!! [Re: Nat1]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Nice update! Dancing is a daily event here, seems like most of them enjoy the music and dancing. It's a great social event for the entire family to help her see everyone as her flock.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260500 - 04/20/17 09:56 AM Re: New cockatoo in the home. HELP!!!!!! [Re: Nat1]  
carolpalmer Offline
carolpalmer  Offline

it could be due to ringworms. Some time the molt occurs on the bird, especially juveniles through their first prebasic molt

Check fo feather mites or lice

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny