Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259839 - 07/07/16 06:57 PM A question about wings clipping  
BirdieGirlCA Offline
BirdieGirlCA  Offline

Hello All,

I have 8 birds but only one is a Cockatoo (Bare-Eyed). I am a Photographer who spends many hours a day at home at my computer editing in the same room as my feathered babies so they spent about 4-6 hours per day outside their cages playing on play perches, chewing toys and cuddling up to me. I have one concern though and that is, that the only bird that can fly around the house is my Cockatoo. He does it when I leave the room because he wants to follow me. I have all mirrors covered and windows covered for his safety but he still flies into walls. I am so worried he will seriously injure himself.

Any idea how to work on this issue? Is wing clipping my only option?

Last edited by BirdieGirlCA; 07/07/16 06:58 PM.
#259844 - 07/07/16 11:24 PM Re: A question about wings clipping [Re: BirdieGirlCA]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Have you discussed this with your AV? Perhaps there is a problem with his sight. I have flighted birds and we've had a few sloppy landings from time to time, but they have never flown into walls!!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#259846 - 07/07/16 11:56 PM Re: A question about wings clipping [Re: BirdieGirlCA]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Hannah my RB2 was flying into things when we first let her clipped wings grow out...she had never learned to fly. It took her months to be able to fly and land correctly.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#259855 - 07/11/16 01:15 AM Re: A question about wings clipping [Re: BirdieGirlCA]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

With a bare-eyed, wing clipping probably wouldn't do much anyway since they are so light-bodied that they are able to fly even with clipped wings.

Second the idea to talk to a vet -- I've had flighted birds for over a decade now and no one has flown into a wall, even when they are scared off of their perch and fly around looking for safety (they usually lose endurance and do a safe crash land on the floor.)

Another thought is to work on flight training her. If she never was fledged as a baby, she may not have the skills. I currently have two parrots -- my grey was fledged as a chick, and even though she was clipped for a few years, she is an expert flier because she learned the skills at the appropriate time.

My caique, on the other hand, was most likely not fledged. He is a very clunky and poor flier. We work on flight skills together so that he gets practice. I don't think he'll ever be an expert, but he's gained enough skills where he doesn't fly into walls and he can navigate himself to where he wants to go. Like with anything, practice makes perfect.

#259856 - 07/12/16 01:03 PM Re: A question about wings clipping [Re: BirdieGirlCA]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cassie is a good example of not being able to stop a bird from flying with a clip. After fledging at around a year old we decided to clip her wings to slow her down. Regular clip did nothing to slow her down. This was 5 flights from each wing. Tried again with 10 flights on each wing a very drastic clip by the vet to try to slow her down. We were having problems with aggression at the time so clipping was for everyones safety. The drastic clip lasted all of three days. She was very depressed not playing or moving around. I put her on the floor to try to get her to play and move around. I walked across the living room and told her to come into the kitchen. She started running to catch up flapped her wings and beat me to the kitchen. She not only was able to fly with a little extra effort but also got lift flying over my head. When you look at a Bare Eyed in flight they have enormous wings in comparison to their bodies. We've never bothered to clip her again. We also took her around the house and had her tap her beak on all windows and shiny surfaces. I've done this with other birds coming into the house with good results.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny