Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 47 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259775 - 06/20/16 08:12 PM To have a 2nd bird, mixing species under one roof  
Poksciukas Offline
Poksciukas  Offline

We have a cockatoo for 6 years.
My wife takes good care of him
She spends at least 2 hours a day with him
He is a happy bird

Now she wants a second bird
this time An african grey.
She met a baby and can think of nothing else

She thinks that it will become friends with the cockatoo
And that she can spend time with the 2 of them together

I know nothing of birds. The precious advice i got on
This forum was helpful.
I told her i will ask the experts on MyToos and see what
They have to say before comnitting to anything

Please tell me what is your opinion about the complexities
Of 2 birds of different species living together in one house.

#259777 - 06/21/16 01:42 AM Re: To have a 2nd bird, mixing species under one roof [Re: Poksciukas]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Lots and lots of people do it, but it's unlikely they will ever be friends.

Here is a link to a grey whose top beak was bitten off by a cockatoo: http://centerforavianrehab.blogspot.com/2007/07/this-is-jackie-one-of-our-frequent.html

If she does decide to get another bird, I'd recommend that she get one (adopt an older bird from a shelter whose personality is more apparent and who picks her) with the understanding that not only may they not get along, but they may hate each other.

I had a caique (who passed away in 2014) that didn't get along with any of my other birds. They would dive bomb and attack him, so I had to take extreme measures to keep him safe. Due to the fact that they were all similar size, nothing tragic happened (supervision can't prevent everything) but the worst that happened was one bird escaped from his cage, went over to that bird's cage, and they apparently had a battle through the cage bars. They both healed, but were obviously in pain, and I was stuck with a $1,000+ vet bill.

Thank you for thinking seriously about it and not getting another bird on a whim. I know my first bird wishes she were still an only bird. She is likely to outlive her current companion (they coexist -- have been living together for 12 years now and pretty much ignore each other.)

Greys live in single-species flocks in the wild, so they tend to not be as friendly to other species as, say, nanday conures.

#259779 - 06/21/16 03:08 AM Re: To have a 2nd bird, mixing species under one roof [Re: Poksciukas]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I do bird sitting in my home and have a variety of birds here during the year. Cassie over the years has shown her displeasure with other large birds in the home. Even those that have been coming for years have not been welcomed by her. The small birds she has enjoyed and there have been two other female large birds that she seemed to "like". It's pretty much a crap shoot on what will happen with birds together. We have other members here that have had really good luck with birds getting along. Most of these birds if I'm not mistaken are older birds like Beeps said that came from rescues.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#259781 - 06/21/16 04:24 AM Re: To have a 2nd bird, mixing species under one roof [Re: Poksciukas]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Adding a new bird with the expectation or desire that it will be a friend to a current bird is high on the list of reasons NOT to get a new bird. Your wife needs to be ready, willing and able to multiple her bird time each day, not only with individual time with each bird, but double cleaning, etc. As the others have said, even if they were to co-habitate well together, due to the size disparity, close supervision at all times is necessary.

And of course I echo the sentiment already spoken, please try to persuade your wife to adopt an older bird if you two move forward with adding another.

Good luck and I hope that you and your wife think about this carefully before making a final decision.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny