Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 81 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259699 - 06/07/16 10:16 PM A week at his new home and already destruction!  
Caitlen Offline
Caitlen  Offline

California
Okay, I knew that Cockatoos were destructive and whatnot- That is why I wasn't surprises to see half my door frame gone... I was playing with my daughter, and I heard him chewing on something, so I figured it was on his toys. I went to go check on him... Good bye door frame. XD My oh my. I wonder what will happen next.

#260129 - 12/05/16 05:31 AM Re: A week at his new home and already destruction! [Re: Caitlen]  
Dragonite Offline
Dragonite  Offline

Most bird species eat and chew fresh plant material in their native habitats and have ample opportunity to clean and sharpen their beaks and nails on wooden material. In captivity, birds are often kept in metal/wire cages with hard wooden perches, such as manzanita wood, that are difficult to chew. Cockatoos crave this beneficial activity and need to chew to maintain proper beak and nail lenghts. So, you need toys for them next time~~or, say goodbye to another door frame...

#260134 - 12/06/16 05:06 AM Re: A week at his new home and already destruction! [Re: Caitlen]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
One thing you learn early on with a cockatoo is that you generally can't leave them unattended for any period of time. If you are not in the room with them and it's too quiet they are likely into something and if there is too much noise they are likely into something. Fortunately ours outgrew this problem years ago.

We keep a telephone book and cardboard on our too's play stand. This entertains her for hours. The only caution I suggest is to avoid cardboard from China as who knows what is in the glue or paper. A lot of people provide pine blocks or similar for chewing but our too ignores these kind of things.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#260280 - 01/23/17 02:46 AM Re: A week at his new home and already destruction! [Re: Caitlen]  
LouieTheCockatoo Offline
LouieTheCockatoo  Offline

I know what you're going through- door frames! Okay, your 'too is going through them. I began fostering Louie on 11/5/16 on 11/7/16 I heard 'cccrrraaaccckkkkk' and went into his room. He was removing the upper portion of the doorframe he had been quietly disassembling. I had no idea how beautiful a 2x4 from floor to ceiling would compliment this room so well. Of course, I foolishly thought his cage was far enough away from the doorframe on the other side... he only got the top portion- another 2x4!!! Of course he really liked the top of the closet door! Cardboard now goes across the length. The redecorating tips these guys have are amazing. smile I officially adopted him 1/1/17 I guess I really like his style. I have a laundry list of things Louie has gotten into, I've been encouraged to write a blog. It's not destruction, they are natural decorators... they just fail to let you in on their plans.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny