Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259663 - 06/01/16 07:56 AM New Rescued Senegal, Coping Question  
Mom 2 Braniff n Offline
Mom 2 Braniff n  Offline

Murrieta, CA
Brought a 7 year old Senegal home quite suddenly. Her owner was leaving a bad relationship and for some reason couldn't take her bird whom she has had since a hatchling. Kiwi came with her cage and toys and food. So at least those things are familiar. My question is how to help her incorporate to our flock? She is very scared and I am sure she is not accustomed to new things. She seems to like being by the tv so she is in the family room nearby the kitchen where we spend most of our time. Not sure if she should be in a more quiet area and covered or not? She has been eating and chirping a bit morning and evening but otherwise pretty reserved and I noticed a bunch of feathers on the floor by her cage. Not sure shedding from stress or plucking them from stress. Any suggestions appreciated. She is also used to dogs and seems to like ours being nearby.

Tori
Mom to the following rescues:
Braniff, BE2,
Peaches, Peach Front Conure,
Kiwi, Senegal,
#259665 - 06/01/16 01:06 PM Re: New Rescued Senegal, Coping Question [Re: Mom 2 Braniff n]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I only know one other senegal. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe members of the family could take a minute now and then through out the day to sit with her, offer a treat and talk.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#259670 - 06/01/16 10:09 PM Re: New Rescued Senegal, Coping Question [Re: Mom 2 Braniff n]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

I used to do a fair amount of fostering of parrots. What I did when I brought one into my home is try to put their cage in a location where they had a long view of the room -- so it's harder to sneak up on them. Remember that they are prey animals and don't know if you want to eat them, so try to make her feel comfortable. I'd also try to announce when I was about to enter the room until I could tell they were comfortable (usually a few weeks.)

If they were really scared, I'd cover 1/4-1/2 of their cage so they could have a place to hide (makes them feel safer.) Even with my current birds, I hang a specific toy (a ring with fleece strips tied around it) near a high perch, and it's a place where my guys can go when they want to hide. Safety is paramount for these prey animals.

Also, in the beginning, I would try to not make too much direct eye contact. And I'd sit near them and just read, sometimes out loud to them, so they'd get used to my presence and see that I was non threatening.

And then, just watch her and follow her lead. Senegals (not always) tend to be a little more reserved, so she may always want to be more of an observer than a participant in things; or, she may be the life of the party! That's part of the fun of taking an adult rescue bird home -- the layers of the onion that you peel, until you finally uncover their personality. Watch her and pick up on what she's communicating to you. Figure out a way to communicate with her. Have fun! Updates, please! smile

ETA: lots of short interactions are much better than one long interaction. If you have 30 minutes to spend with her, it's better to do 2 minutes 15 times a day than 30 minutes all at once. Try to involve her in your daily life (even if it's just her watching and you telling her what's going on.) And of course, always be very careful of interactions that she has with your other birds or with your dogs, even though they may seem to get along, the size differences means a beak could easily be taken off a bird, or the dog could kill the bird (volunteering at the rescue, I have heard this happen dozens of times by customers...it's so sad. A bird I fostered for about 6 months was adopted out to a lady who left the bird out with her cat. After several years of no problems, the cat one day attacked and killed this poor conure. I still think of him every day and how it could have been prevented.)

Last edited by Beeps; 06/01/16 10:13 PM.
#259671 - 06/02/16 12:46 AM Re: New Rescued Senegal, Coping Question [Re: Mom 2 Braniff n]  
Mom 2 Braniff n Offline
Mom 2 Braniff n  Offline

Murrieta, CA
Wow. What a difference a day makes! Kiwi was chirping, dancing and hanging upside down this morning. She is still nervous so not taking her out yet but she is taking treats and discovered millet! She is delighful so far. Just waiting for her personality to shine.

Tori
Braniff, BE2,
Kiwi, Senegal,
#259672 - 06/02/16 01:02 AM Re: New Rescued Senegal, Coping Question [Re: Beeps]  
Mom 2 Braniff n Offline
Mom 2 Braniff n  Offline

Murrieta, CA
Beeps, Our dogs and cat are not safe with ANY of the birds out of cages. They are prolific hunters. So we have a system of rounding up the dogs and 1 cat and locking them in our bedroom, then letting the birds out, one at a time. And no co-mingling of birds. The conure picks on everyone and I also heard about the big birds attacking smaller ones. Maybe if we ever get a Meyers, which are related, Kiwi might be ok with one, but that is way in future... Meanwhile we are just going slow with the newcomer and keeping Kiwi partially covered.

Tori
Braniff, BE2,
Kiwi, Senegal,

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny