Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5449 - 08/13/06 06:24 PM Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures  
SonyaK Offline
SonyaK  Offline

IL
Everyone,

I know that this issue has been discussed before in certain terms, but I need HELP! My husband and I are looking at a stainless steel cage for our Macaw, and are looking at the 506SS Kings Model ($2300 plus tax of about $150 = $2450), or the Featherland model that is $1549 (plus tax of about $150 = $1700) on Dr.'s Foster and Smith's website. We are also looking at Avian Adventures.

Is the Kings cage worth $750 more? It's not only about money. Is there a huge difference in quality between the two? The featherland cage (even the large one?) also folds so you can get it through the doors?

Kings and Featherland owners...and Avian Adventure owners, please help! We live in the midwest and cannot physically "see" any of these cages, since there are no stores close to us that sell them............

Thanks again,

SonyaK

See our flock at www.5beaks.blogspot.com
#5450 - 08/13/06 06:56 PM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures  
Bannod Offline
Bannod  Offline

Washington Coast
One thing I noticed is that Kings site says they're made from medical grade stainless. I didn't see that mentioned at the Foster & Smith site.

#5451 - 08/14/06 12:20 AM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures  
'Too Haven Offline
'Too Haven  Offline

Greater Miami FL area
A lot of it is personal preference.

I have never had a Kings, but I have heard mixed opinions of them.

Personally, I have had an AA - 3 of them. Different models. I liked them both. They were easy to clean (w/ the exception of the 40x40x72 corner cage).

~Dana~
a/k/a 'Too Junkie
'Too Haven
#5452 - 08/14/06 02:35 PM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures  
rubytoo Offline
rubytoo  Offline

UK
I don't know if I can add anything useful to your topic Sonyak. I too am looking for a ss cage and have narrowed it down to an Avian adventures or a Featherland.
I wanted to be able to use the cage without the grill so, from what I can tell from pictures the kings is out, as it looks like there is a big gap between where the grill would sit and the catch tray on all their ss models. (Unless anyone can tell me different smile )
With the Avian Adventures and Featherland you can.

All three are med grade SS.

Featherland.
Catches/doorlocks. I don't know what they are like. But would like to know. And any other finer points, if anyone could oblige smile You can see how they go together on the website. But not a lot of the finer detail. But it looks like all the panels are welded? Is it a stable solid feeling cage?

The Kings have a good reputation. And the top of the line have thicker bars than the economy line. Also the door locks are better, with the top range. (I assume you would get the best with the stainless!)

I got an Avian adventures ss cage last year, (I live in the uk)and sadly when it came it had rusty bars. I sent it back. When I mailed AA they were very nice, and apologetic, it seems they had a problem with their manufacturer. They have since then, changed to a new manufacturer. And so there should not be any problem now.
But the design was nice, and I still would buy one (if I could get one!)
It goes together and comes apart nice and easy. But if you need to lift the cage, the legs and panels are one piece, and could lift out of the base/shelf, and castor section. But fine if you only want to push. It was fairly sturdy, but not as solid feeling as a bolted together cage. It wobbled just a little when pushed, but it didn't feel unsafe. But I guess you have to compromise a bit for the convenience of a knockdown cage. The tray and grill can be switched around in the same runners. So if you don't use the grill there is a place to put it. And like the Featherland it has easy slot in/out seed catchers.
I can't remember how the side panels were, but the front and back have hollow square framing with the bars going through holes, not welded, so they turn. But the door has solid welded hinges, as did the feeder doors. And the same sprung bolt catch on all. You turn the knob on the bolt to loosen then you can pull it back. When closing the sprung bolt goes into the catch and you tighten the knob to lock. I wasn't sure I liked tose, but they do work quite well.

Sorry I don't know much about the Kings cages.
There are some posts on cages, if you do a search. But not enough detail for people like you and me who can't see them before we spend our hard earned currency.
I am in a simiar position to you Sonyak, except all the above cages are at least on your land mass laugh

'Too Haven,
Are we all talking about Avian Adventures? smile I didn't know they made a corner cage?

Edited to add. It may well be the difference in the grade/thickness of wire use, and how much welding there is on a cage.

#5453 - 08/14/06 05:25 PM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures  
Alex and Rescued Flock Offline
Alex and Rescued Flock  Offline

The Problem with King's Cages is that after the bird is in the cage, if something is broken by the bird, they don't back it up. I know that a macaw might be able to do some damage. We have some friends that got a Stainless Steel 506 model for their Hyacinth macaw, and he broke two of the bars, and they didn't refund them.

Just my 2' Cents

#5454 - 08/14/06 05:42 PM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures  
Laura-Leigh Offline
Laura-Leigh  Offline

Brighton, Ontario
Cannot comment on Kings or Featherland, But I have three AA cages that I adore!!! I bought the first and fell in love and even though I cannot find a Canadian supplier and had to pay a fortune for the next two ( Not the actual price but Because of Duty/Exchange and Brokerage fees.. sigh ) I did not hesitate, I LOVE these cages and am totally sold on them.

#5455 - 08/14/06 05:48 PM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures  
alaska_toos Offline
Moderator Emeritus
alaska_toos  Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Lives Here

Alaska
I have 4 Kings cages and 2 AA cages. I have not had any problems with the AA cages at all. I have however had several of the welds broken on the Macaw Kings cage by my U2. I really figured that if any of my birds would be capable of breaking a weld it would be my M2 who is in a Macaw AA, but no such luck.

I would personally contact both companies and see who is willing to stand behind their cage. I had a friend weld my Kings back together since it would take forever to try and get them to fix it and get it back up here to me... You would think that things are still transported by dog sled teams at times.

Let us know what you find out, it may help others in making their final decisions.

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke
#5456 - 08/14/06 06:08 PM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures  
'Too Haven Offline
'Too Haven  Offline

Greater Miami FL area
AA Corner Cage

This is an AA - I think it is actually marketed by an off label company, but it is made by AA. I can give you the link to the company that I bought it from. They also sell Tri-Birds cages, which I do not like and I have had 2 of them also.

~Dana~
a/k/a 'Too Junkie
'Too Haven
#5457 - 08/14/06 07:51 PM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures  
rubytoo Offline
rubytoo  Offline

UK
Thankyou Too Haven for the info smile I didn't know that.

#5458 - 08/16/06 12:14 PM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures  
SonyaK Offline
SonyaK  Offline

IL
Everyone,

We will be purchasing the Kings Cage 506ss (stainless steel) model. Wish us well! If anyone would like to know how it looks/works, just let me know!

SonyaK

#5459 - 09/03/06 01:43 PM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Advent  
SonyaK Offline
SonyaK  Offline

IL
Our Kings Cage 506 stainless steel model arrived this past Wednesday. It is HUGE and beautiful!

I think I could live in it!

SonyaK

#154352 - 02/13/08 11:10 PM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures [Re: SonyaK]  
Dave12 Offline
Dave12  Offline

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd chime in here because I do have a lot of experience & knowledge on a lot of the subjects you've been discussing here. I owned a bird cage retail store for over 2 years, so I have worked intimately with most every major manufacturer in the bird cage market today. I know a lot about the difference in cage brands, and the companies that sell them. Plus, I'm one of the owners of Legacy Cages, a brand new stainless steel cage manufacturer. We hand-craft our stainless steel cages one at a time right here in the USA. So I am very familiar with the different types of stainless steel, and the manufacturing process for ss cages.

Let me first clear up a misconception about stainless steel; 304-grade stainless steel is either authentic or not authentic. There's no such thing as 'medical grade' or 'surgical grade' 3-04-grade stainless steel. 304-grade stainless steel is 304-grade stainless steel, there are not different grades within it. You can get 304-grade stainless steel in different polishes, but that does not relate to the quality at all. There are not different grades or types of 304-grade stainless steel. The only stainless steel that would be considered a surgical or medical grade would be a totally different grade of stainless steel all together. I believe it's called 308-grade or 316-grade or something like that, I'm not real sure because we don't work with it. Medical companies DO NOT use 304-grade stainless steel as a standard grade of stainless, they use a different grade of stainless steel completely. When bird cage manufacturers and/or retailers put "medical grade" or "surgical grade" into the title of their 304-grade stainless steel cage it is strictly a marketing technique. Frankly, I think it's misleading and somewhat dishonest. The fact of the matter is that 304-grade is 304-grade and there aren't different grades or levels within it.

Now one rumor about stainless steel cages that I believe is true is that some manufacturers use "fake" or "watered down" stainless steel. I wont name any names here, but some companies get cheaper "watered-down" 304-grade stainless steel to save money & the quality of that stainless steel is greatly inferior to true 304-grade stainless steel cages. I have actually seen fake "304-grade" stainless steel cages deteriorate and rust within 12 months, and this is because the stainless steel was not authentic. I believe the creaters "water down" the 304-grade stainless steel by substituting cheaper components in for the costly ones, and thus "screwing up the forumla" and turning the stainless steel into an unpure grade of steel. This is why I would really think twice before buying a generic stainless steel cage, and I'd stick to strictly reputable manufacturers. It could literally make the difference between your cage lasting 6 months or 60 years.

Just an FYI; Too Haven, that cage you are linking to is not an Avian Adventures Cage. It may be an A&E Cage, but the only major manufacturer that makes a cage that looks like that is Kings. I believe that cage is an A&E or another private label cage that is made to look like the kings 509-SS Corner Cage (see it at kingscages.com/shop/view_product.php?product=509%20SS). To the best of my knowledge all the companies that are selling that Kings 509 Corner Cage look alike are getting it from a factory in China and private labeling it. I can see how you got AA and A&E confused, but AA doesn't (nor have they ever) manufactured a corner cage of any sort.

Anyway, I hope this info helps people trying to research cages before buying one. BTW, I applaude you for taking the time to do your homework beforehand!

-------

Dave
Legacy Cages, USA Made Stainless Steel Cages
#154377 - 02/14/08 03:22 AM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures [Re: SonyaK]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

I have 2 Avian Adventure cages and both are stainless steel. I absolutely love them, however the grate can be hard to clean.

I have the Grande and Medina. I don't think they are making either of those in stainless now.

I love the locks that avian adventure use.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/rockinseattle/Avian-main-door-lock.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/rockinseattle/Avian-food-lock.jpg
However I wish the tray were a little farther away from the grate.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/rockinseattle/Avian-traygrate.jpg

The way that the dome top is constructed makes it easy to hang toys from.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/rockinseattle/Avian-dome.jpg

I also have 2 Kings cages, one is Lux 2822-new version-Dome top(for my mini macaw) and the other is 506(GW macaw) and both are powder coated. The Lux cage so far has not chipped but my mini macaw does not climb around on her bars and the 506 is too new for me to tell how the powder coat will stand up to my GW. But the 506 was $1000.00 making it much cheaper then the stainless version.

I love the size of the 506 and I think it's just a tad bit bigger then other brands.

What I don't like is the locks for the water and food doors.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/rockinseattle/King-food-lock.jpg
But I do like the lock for the main door.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/rockinseattle/King-main-door-lock.jpg

The dome top is harder to hang toys on then Avian Adventure dome top IMO because of the way it is constructed. There is a thick bar that the little bars are welded to making it hard to quick link a toy to. There are two toy hooks inside the cage but they are over the water and food bowl which makes no sense to me.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/rockinseattle/King-dome.jpg

I like that the tray is farther away from the grate so that it keeps Ruby (GW macaw) from getting to the left over food that she has droped.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/rockinseattle/King-traygrate.jpg

Just my 10 cents(inflation grin ) worth.
I hope this helps smile

Sometimes my brain just doesn't work shocked I just now noticed the date of the original post. DUH

Last edited by rockinseattle; 02/14/08 03:31 AM. Reason: DUH, did not notice date of original post.
#259082 - 11/28/15 07:13 PM Re: Featherland vs. Kings Cages...vs. Avian Adventures [Re: SonyaK]  
lisapor Offline
lisapor  Offline

Hello, friends of parrots! I found your forum by doing a search about SS cages. I'm in the midst of unending research smile. I have had two amazons, Spike and Cecil, for over 20 years and their iron Kings cage is almost as old. I am sooo tired of how stuff gets stuck in the paint texture, and it's way too heavy and wide to get it outside for a cleaning.

This thread is from 2006!, and it's funny I'm looking at the same brands many years later... that's a good sign. Sonyak, Rubytoo, and any others, please share anything else you can about the SS brand you ended up with! I'm leaning toward Featherland but there is so little info on their webpage, plus they've given up playtops which is what I think we prefer. I'm so scared to spend $1000 to $2000 and be disappointed. I already bought an A&E tree stand that's way too big and will be living with that mistake for the next many years. smile Thank you! Lisa

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny