Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258977 - 10/16/15 03:53 AM New family member  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
We had an empty cage after having to put our 14 year old Blue Headed Pionus down because of kidney failure last winter. So after a few months of seeing the empty cage, we decided to see if there was some other bird in need of a good home.

A year or so ago, our daughter had adopted a cockatiel from a rescue in Michigan about 45 miles north of us. So we contacted the rescue and drove up there to see what might be interested in us.

There were maybe 12 available birds, from a Parakeet to a Macaw. None of them were particularly interested in us except for trying to bite. The only one that attempted to interact with me was Fagan.

Fagan is the African Grey from the Parrot Confidential Documentary on PBS. While I’ve been interested in Grey’s for a long time, I got the impression he wasn’t going to be adopted out to anyone. The rescue and I use the same avian vet so I made arrangements to talk to the vet about Fagan. The vet explained the bird’s history and of the difficult treatments the bird had survived. Her closing comment was “you really don’t want to do this.”

The vet called about a week later and asked if we had looked at the Red Lored Amazon whose name is Turtle. She advised that although she was elderly and had some health issues, she was one of the sweetest Amazons she had seen. So we decided to go back for a second look. After interacting with her for 30-45 minutes we decided to bring her home.

Not much is known about her except that a couple of college guys from U of M bought her at a garage sale. They didn’t know what to do with her when they graduated so left her with the rescue. She was at the rescue for two years. I’m guessing because of her age, as she is thought to be 30-35 years old maybe older. A lot of people who have been to the rescue overlooked a really sweet girl.

She does pretty much everything the rescue said she couldn’t do. “She can only fly enough to keep from falling on the floor.” I’ve watched her fly from one room to another 20 feet away. “She has to have a food bowl she can crawl into because of the arthritis in her feet she can’t hold food with her feet. First night with us, happily eating with either foot while perched. “Because of the arthritis in her feet, she doesn’t walk around much.” We have watched her climb all over her cage even upside down on the cage top and hang off the bottom of the cage door with one foot trying to figure out how to get on the floor. “She isn’t very active.” Have had to go looking for her a couple because she has gotten off her cage to go exploring. Admittedly she is a little slow sometimes but guess she is entitled to that.

Not sure how much Amazons talk, but Turtle has a couple of favorite phrases she frequently uses. When my wife comes home from work and walks into the living room where Turtle is she is greeted with hearty “HELLO RAT FACE” or “HELLO WHAT” and then a loud wolf whistle.

In the evening she will sit on her cage and stare at me until I come and get her. She loves to sit, snuggle, and preen me at night but not so much during the day.

Here is her picture.

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/chucki...700587686192856

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#258978 - 10/16/15 04:49 AM Re: New family member [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Congratulations! She's gorgeous, Mark!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#258979 - 10/16/15 01:35 PM Re: New family member [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Congratulations Mark, flock and Ratface! Sounds like she's going to be a lot of fun and is obviously very happy and comfortable in her home.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#258980 - 10/17/15 02:54 AM Re: New family member [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
What a great thing! She looks fabulous! I love your observations that are based on the REALITY of what you are seeing. You reminded me that Amazons are usually more "mellow" in the evening and will often be receptive to "neck scritches" at that time. It is a good "bonding" time for otherwise "nutcase" amazons. Best wishes for your future together!

Last edited by Birdfriend; 10/17/15 02:58 AM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#258983 - 10/17/15 11:45 PM Re: New family member [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Congratulations! Older red-loreds have such sweet, incredible souls. I know you will have many years of happiness together. Thanks for taking a chance on her, and for not letting preconceived notions limit her life!

#258984 - 10/18/15 02:46 AM Re: New family member [Re: Beeps]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
Oops! I was not implying that your new girl is a nutcase! She is clearly wonderful! Some Amazons are "difficult" and the "love in the evening" trick helps them.
I agree with everything Beeps said. Thanks again.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#258985 - 10/22/15 03:46 AM Re: New family member [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

I often have trouble with photobucket so I didnt get to see her pic but she sounds wonderful. Amazons are so funny, they love foot toys and love to have fun. Congrats on your new family member!

#258988 - 10/23/15 04:14 AM Re: New family member [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
I friend of my wife has a 30 year old Yellow Naped Amazon that I knew she had been wanting to find another home for at least a year. Her reason is that he bites and is mean. So she leaves him in the cage. Doesn't take much to figure out why he might be that way. I really didn't want to take on a behavior problem because of our other birds. But since our avian vet calls me the parrot whisperer, who knows how that relationship might have turned out.

We are really happy to have found her. Without our vet's suggestion of taking a second look at her we would never have seen her potential. She is definitely interesting with some fiestinous thrown in.

And Chucki, well Chucki's has upped her game a little. She doesn't play so hard to get now. smile

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#258989 - 10/23/15 02:20 PM Re: New family member [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
So you have adopted two amazons! Congratulations!

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#259008 - 10/27/15 02:56 PM Re: New family member [Re: BE2Cassie]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Great....beautiful bird...love the name "Turtle"

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny