Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 46 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258890 - 09/22/15 10:39 AM A new friend will be joining my PBFD hospice  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Good morning all! I am delighted to announce the news that I have been chosen as the carer of the most beautiful bird, 'Scruffy' a male ringneck with PBFD. Although Scruffy is loved, he has quite a sad story. Because his owner has a number of rescue birds, when he tested positive for PBFD, he was moved to her parents home. She visits him daily to care for him, but in the main, he has spent most of his life alone with very little interaction. He is very easily frightened and nervous, and hides away in his box at the bottom of his cage the minute anything scares him. He is not tame, and not (willingly) handleable. This is even more exaggerated in his case than commonly seen in his species.
Being so disabled myself now, most of my time is spent at home, so the lonely, long days will soon be over for Scruffy. I have set him up a large cage right at the side of my chair, will also folds out to be my bed. (Will put video of cage set up in the appropriate section)
I am in no rush to 'tame' this dear bird, he may never become tame as such, but I accept him and will love and treasure him as he is, and as he chooses to be. I do hope however, that tame or not, he will learn that I am not to be feared, and of no threat to him.
He is completely flightless, and tail-less, and often falls from the top of his cage with a crashing wallop to the floor. The design and set of of his new cage here does of course, take these distressing problems in to consideration.
I will do all I can to bring sunshine, light and warmth in to this isolated little victim of circumstances life, and make his world a happier, safer place to be.
He has already got my heart, can you tell?

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=258889#Post258889

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#258893 - 09/22/15 01:34 PM Re: A new friend will be joining my PBFD hospice [Re: wishfull]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
What a wonderful story about special needs bird....and what a wonderful person you are for making his life special.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#258895 - 09/22/15 03:03 PM Re: A new friend will be joining my PBFD hospice [Re: RB2sMom]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Thank you RB2's Mom smile
I must admit I was devastated when it was first confirmed that PBFD was present in my home, not only because the direct impact it would make regarding my now rather small rescue set up could function, but also because it was something I had been fortunate enough to avoid for so very long, and therefor had no experience with. However would I cope? How could I possibly give these birds the extra special care they would need when I had no idea what it involved?
I now love how things are, my confidence is growing, and instead of it bringing my rescue to a crashing halt, it has simply changed direction, and means I can now open my doors to birds like Scruffy, birds that a much smaller hope of rescue and rehome than most.I was first alerted to Scruffy about 2 - 3 months ago, but just needed time to adapt and adjust myself with the new situation, and to be sure I could give him the home he so desperately needs. I now am sure, and very much looking forward to his arrival smile

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny