Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258829 - 09/04/15 08:40 PM My cockatiels keep laying eggs!  
ashleyannie Offline
ashleyannie  Offline

Kentucky
I've had my cockatiels, Sophie and Cricket, for about 3 years now. According to the pet store they were purchased from, they are both females (though they have yellow heads and red cheeks and look like males). Sophie is a bit of a special bird, as she rarely grows tail feathers (and when she does, she plucks them out for no apparent reason). She also likes to launch herself into the nearest window or wall when she gets out of the cage, meaning she has to be handled very carefully.

My question today, however, has nothing to do with either of these quirks. For several months now, my cockatiels have been laying eggs nonstop. I learned early on that you aren't supposed to remove the eggs from the cage for about 3 weeks or they'll lay more, so I've been following this rule and leaving them be. Unfortunately, they keep laying more eggs, and I'm not sure whether this is normal or if there's something wrong with their diet or environment that is causing them to lay more eggs than usual. Usually, the eggs come in groups of two or three, and they seem to take turns sitting on them.

So far, I would say they've laid close to 20 or 30 eggs between the two of them, and I'm beginning to get concerned. I know that laying eggs takes a lot of nutrients out of a bird, and I don't want either of them to get sick because of the excessive egg-laying. Should I be worried, or is this normal?

Last edited by ashleyannie; 09/04/15 08:41 PM.
#258832 - 09/05/15 01:09 AM Re: My cockatiels keep laying eggs! [Re: ashleyannie]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Worried yes, a little. Normal, no. I've found that Teils start laying naturally this time of year as it's coming into springtime in their native world, Southern Hemisphere. Also, what triggers laying is we start giving more fresh foods during the summer months.

Add cuttlebone to their cage for added calcium. Do you give them any fresh foods? Greens are calcium rich so adding chopped fresh greens (no spinach) will help. Also, add hard-boiled eggs. If you have a food processor throw a whole egg hard-boiled egg with the shell and grind away.

Shorten the amount of light they are getting to less than 11 hours per day. Take out ALL nesting material.

A trip to the avian vet wouldn't hurt.

#258833 - 09/05/15 03:17 AM Re: My cockatiels keep laying eggs! [Re: ashleyannie]  
ashleyannie Offline
ashleyannie  Offline

Kentucky
Thank you for the advice, Elliot; I appreciate it. I've tried giving them fresh foods in the past (by putting it at the bottom of their cage), but they tend to ignore it. Is there a good tactic for getting them to eat something besides their seeds?

Also, I've never given them any nesting material for them to use; they just lay eggs straight onto the bars at the bottom of their cage. The light thing might be a major problem, though, as they're in my living room and it's a major hub of activity in my apartment. Would covering them up help, or do they need complete silence?

Again, thank you so much for the info! I'm definitely going to try giving them a cuttlebone and some fresh greens.

#258836 - 09/05/15 08:28 AM Re: My cockatiels keep laying eggs! [Re: ashleyannie]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
There are three foods I used to give my teils. Chopped leaky greens, corn on the cob or thawed, frozen corn niblets, and hard-boil-egg. Chop the leafy greens and eggs. Mix in the corn and serve.

Do a search on the Mytoos site about sleep cages. I personally don't favor covering a cage. They get used to it and if you are out at their usual bedtime they get irritated not having the cover. I do us cover in extreme cold to cut drafts off.

#258837 - 09/05/15 09:39 PM Re: My cockatiels keep laying eggs! [Re: ashleyannie]  
ashleyannie Offline
ashleyannie  Offline

Kentucky
Thank you again! I really appreciate it! That's really helpful information. smile

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny