Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RB2sMom), 27 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258591 - 06/30/15 11:08 PM Pellets  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I've been thinking about my feeding of pellets to the feathered royalty here. I'm feeding Zupreem Natural and have been for several years. The birds are in good shape overall. Sysko to Scarlet is a plucker but that's from being neurotic. Had him to the vet and discussed it. The M2 Tut is a clipper but he came from an abusive situation. Kyu the U2 and Coowee the Quaker are in fine feather.

What I've been reading and hearing is pellets are not that good. This has me bum-fuzzled. Their diet is varied...pellets, seed, nuts, veggies, a little fruit, and people foods. Some say to feed nothing but pellets, but I don't agree with that. Feeding straight pellets or any food for that matter, I think leads to problems. Stay for some reason that brand of pellet is unavailable for some reason. If they only eat that brand you got to switch them and that is a whole bunch of problems. I prefer a varied diet so if I can't get something they will eat something else.

I just wondering what everyone else opinion is on pellets.

#258593 - 07/01/15 02:51 PM Re: Pellets [Re: Elliott]  
RB2sMom Online
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Online
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Myself and our avian vets believe that a varied diet in birds is important just like in humans. We feed ours a variety of 3 types of things...Zupreem fruit flavored pellets (they did not like the natural), human veggies and fruits and occasional pieces of pasta and other things we are eating, and ABBA seed mixture (the only one that she will recommend). Our formerly obese RB2 gets more pellets than seeds and our skinnier RB2 gets more seeds than pellets. They are very healthy now and have the right weights for their genders.

http://www.abbaseed.com/

Specifically http://www.abbaseed.com/PARROT_FOODS/parrot_foods.html

http://www.abbaseed.com/Seed_Products/1300/1300.html

It is not just seeds...it has fruits, veggies, and vitamins and proteins;

ABBA 1300 IDEAL DIET FOR ALL TYPES OF PARROTS AND HOOKBILLS FROM COCKTIRLS TO COCKATOOS

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

CRUDE PROTEIN NOT LESS THAN 13%; CRUDE FAT NOT LESS THAN 5%; CRUDE FIBRE NOT MORE THAN 15%; MOISTURE (MAX) 14%; ASH (MAX) 5%

Ingredients: Safflower Seed, Cracked Corn, Oat Groats, Shelled Peanuts, Buckwheat, Millet Seed, Heat Processed Corn, Grain, Sorghum, Non-Viable Hemp Seed, Pumpkin Seed, Peppers, Ground Mollusk Shell, Kibbled Biscuit Made With Meals; Wheat, Corn, Oat, Rice, Barley, Soy Bean, Buckwheat, Bean; Ground: Peas, Egg Shell, Brazil Nuts, Cashews, Filberts, Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds, Shelled Pumpkin Seed; Water, Shredded Coconut, Whole Eggs, Bone Meal, Precooked: Fresh Meat, Fresh Poultry Meat, Fresh Fish; Fresh and Dehydrated: Carrots, Dandelion, Chicory, Kale, Grapes, Bananas, Apples, Oranges, Pears, Apricots, Milk; Honey, Corn Syrup Solid, Casein, Salt, Brewers Yeast, Yellow Beta Carotene, Cod Liver Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Dextrose, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Bitartrate, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Pyriodoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylene Diamine Dihydrioded, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Carbonate, and Calcium Propionate Added To Preserve Freshness, Artificial and Natural Color and Flavor.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#258612 - 07/08/15 09:11 AM Re: Pellets [Re: Elliott]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Lots of variety here as well. My vet recommends 70% pelleted diet, but I'd say my birds ratio is probably closer to 50% because I cook and prepare fresh foods for them on a daily basis.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#258613 - 07/08/15 10:53 AM Re: Pellets [Re: Elliott]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Their daily feed is around 30% pellets, 35% fresh foods, and 35% seeds & nuts. I try to give them as much variety as possible.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny