Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258317 - 04/20/15 03:16 AM New cage for a 30+ year old Goffin 'Too  
vegetaban Offline
vegetaban  Offline

I'm moving my parents Goffin cockatoo, Max, to a new cage. His old one was a round cage and is just getting old. My concerns are he has been in the old cage for the last 30 years. I moved his swing that he sleeps in and will be putting treats etc in to make him feel at home.

My parents are worried that he will be too upset and stressed from the new one. Any tips to make him more happy.

He is afraid of people and I want to start clicker training him to be less afraid.

#258320 - 04/20/15 12:34 PM Re: New cage for a 30+ year old Goffin 'Too [Re: vegetaban]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Have you tried letting him enter the cage? Some birds take to a new cage right away, while others may take some time.
When I moved Cassie for the first time I built her cage in front of her. Slowly moved all of her belongings in to the cage while she was exploring. That was the extent that she needed.
Sometimes setting up the cage next to the old one and allowing the bird to explore on their terms works well. Place some favored toys, perches and food and water bowls so he has something to investigate.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#258323 - 04/22/15 12:54 AM Re: New cage for a 30+ year old Goffin 'Too [Re: vegetaban]  
vegetaban Offline
vegetaban  Offline

I tried the new cage for a night and heard him squawking several times. He didn't seem to want to eat so I let him back in his old one where he was comfortable. I'm going to leave the new cage next door to his current one and try what you recommended to slowly get him interested in it.

#258324 - 04/23/15 01:51 AM Re: New cage for a 30+ year old Goffin 'Too [Re: vegetaban]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Good luck and please let us know how he does.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#258330 - 04/26/15 04:40 AM Re: New cage for a 30+ year old Goffin 'Too [Re: vegetaban]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Try sprucing up the new cage with some new toys and maybe a bowl of his favorite snacks. Sometimes a cage thats a different color or shape may take a little time but these guys are naturally curious and letting him do it on his own terms vs. forcing him may work out alot better.

#258551 - 06/14/15 03:45 AM Re: New cage for a 30+ year old Goffin 'Too [Re: vegetaban]  
vegetaban Offline
vegetaban  Offline

Real late update. He didn't like the cage, kept crying out all night. So I moved him back to his old cage. The next day he snuck out of his cage and into the new one of his own will. However he only likes to sneak in there, not live in there. In introducing him to the new one he discovered he liked to fly to the m2's cage and display his dominance over him. He has been persistently harassing him to the point I have to lock his cage now when it's normally open (he can fly around in the bird room, but used to avoid the other birds). It is interesting since the last 20 something years he avoided our other cockatiels and cockatoos cages.

Now the m2, who is normally very docile, has been biting me ever since the Goffin started to harass him. I'm thinking of moving him to another room to get him to be nice again.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny