Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 46 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258273 - 04/08/15 04:02 AM Oscar, my parents' gold capped conure  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

I've occasionally mentioned Oscar here, and I'm sure I will in the future.

I volunteer at a rescue, and about 5 years ago, a gold capped conure was surrendered. He was over 30, and his owners had tired of him. He hadn't been out of his tiny cage in over 20 years.

When the rescue volunteers took him out of his cage, they realized he was blind. He was also feeble and elderly, so the rescue asked my parents if they'd be willing to take in a hospice bird and give him a good life, saying they thought he'd live 6 months max.

Oscar shocked us all by living for 5 more years!

In addition to being blind, they realized that he was nearly deaf. On a good diet, he regained enough sight to see shadows. He had the sweetest disposition, and my parents taught him to play with toys, to step up, and to flap his wings on command for exercise. They developed tons of routines so he knew what to expect and how to communicate with them.

After a year or so, he had a stroke, and his head turned upside down for long periods of time. He didn't appear to be in any pain and was still a joy to be around. After 30 years, he finally had it made.

Last week, my parents uncovered his cage to find that he'd died during the night. I was home last weekend, and it was so quiet without him. He's buried out near the shed, and my mom is going to plant some orange flowers over his grave. One of their tiels flies over to where his cage used to be and hovers a bit.

He was an amazing testament to older birds making great pets. And to the way that even blind and nearly deaf birds can have a fulfilling life. I'm just glad his last years were happy ones.

#258274 - 04/08/15 04:30 PM Re: Oscar, my parents' gold capped conure [Re: Beeps]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Please forward my sincere condolences to your family and to you Beeps! Like you said, what a testament to the love of both your parents and a elderly bird with still so much life in it's sprit.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#258275 - 04/08/15 11:43 PM Re: Oscar, my parents' gold capped conure [Re: Beeps]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Awww it's so sad when God takes them back. Fly free Oscar! My sympathies to you and your parents Beeps.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#258276 - 04/09/15 02:10 AM Re: Oscar, my parents' gold capped conure [Re: Beeps]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'm so sorry Beeps. It sounds like Oscar found the best for his final home with your parents.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#258277 - 04/09/15 04:14 AM Re: Oscar, my parents' gold capped conure [Re: Beeps]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Thanks, everyone. We'd started to think he was immortal. Two days before he died, my mom was telling stories of his amazing personality.

For exercise, she'd make him flap his wings three times when she took him out of his cage before putting him on his playstand. Usually he'd do this with gusto, but when he just wanted to eat the millet on his stand, he'd do three quick, half-hearted flaps, and she'd set him down.

So glad he went in his sleep, peacefully. His last days were happy.

They have another "hospice" bird -- a tiel who was also expected to live 6 months max that's now going on 6 years. I hope he sticks around long enough for them to recover from Oscar before grieving again.

#258282 - 04/09/15 12:11 PM Re: Oscar, my parents' gold capped conure [Re: Beeps]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))

#258284 - 04/10/15 05:01 AM Re: Oscar, my parents' gold capped conure [Re: Beeps]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Im so sorry for your family's loss. It sounds like Oscar was loved back to life when your parents adopted him, they must be so loving to take in these little ones with special needs.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny