Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 67 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258160 - 03/06/15 03:19 AM Help with Material For Perch  
Curmudgeon10 Offline
Curmudgeon10  Offline

My granddaughter has a lesser sulphur crested cockatoo (Tommy) and would like for me to build a table on which she could mount a perch. A really spectacular perch has recently been posted on these pages under the thread "Billy the Kid's New Perch." What she wants is something similar but half the size or a little less.

Where can I buy or find the wood branching material? Everything I see on the Internet is designed to be wired into a cage side, or spanning the sides.

#258161 - 03/06/15 05:24 AM Re: Help with Material For Perch [Re: Curmudgeon10]  
hellococky Offline
hellococky  Offline

Victoria, Australia
You probably won't find any branches for sale, if you want branches you have to go to an area with lots of trees & find limbs that have fallen & cut them to suit. Before you do, Google or check this site for safe/ unsafe wood/ plants to use with birds. Not sure what sort of trees you have near you but here in Australia the best ones are Eucalyptus as they drop lots of branches & they are good strong wood. Remember your bird will over time chew through them & you will need to replace them. Also remember that certain metals are toxic to birds, search lists of safe metals to use & only use safe hardware (eg: stainless steel screws/nails not zinc plated) when constructing anything for birds. Also avoid any paint/varnishes, they are toxic & will be ingested when the bird chews the branch. Good luck!

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem
Cheers,
Tracy-Ann & Sam
#258177 - 03/09/15 02:50 AM Re: Help with Material For Perch [Re: Curmudgeon10]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Be sure the trees have not been sprayed with any type of insecticide and make sure they are cleaned and dried properly before letting your bird use them. you can use the search feature and read about the different methods.

#258178 - 03/09/15 02:29 PM Re: Help with Material For Perch [Re: Curmudgeon10]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Here's some more help:

Safe and Dangerous Plants

#258187 - 03/11/15 08:01 PM Re: Help with Material For Perch [Re: Curmudgeon10]  
CrocusBlooms Offline
CrocusBlooms  Offline

I also admired Billly the Kid's new tree... so I cut down some big willow limbs from my backyard and cleaned them really well (soap and water, rinse, vinegar spray, sun dried) and zip-tied them in place while I got the bolts from the hardware store. I was going to do something with a plywood-tray and casters for the base, but lucked out and found a super-heavy cast-iron christmas tree stand at a garage sale. It's working Perfectly.

I thought it was an easy, fun project, and my G2 LOVES his tree. He gets to bounce up and down on the branches, climb all over it and bite pieces off, and I think it makes him feel more confident... like a "Real Bird."

I think the whole thing cost me less than $5... hardware store bolts included. I live in Northern California, so willow grows freely all over the place- we also have Eucalyptus in my neighborhood, but none in my backyard, so I chose the willow.:)

Last edited by CrocusBlooms; 03/11/15 08:19 PM.

---
"Action is the foundational key to all success."

-Pablo Picasso

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny