Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#257963 - 02/14/15 12:43 AM Petey is flying free  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
On Thursday Feb 12, we lost our beloved Petey, a beautiful male blue-headed Pionus parrot. Petey had been with us 11 years and was thought to be around 14 years old.

Petey was a rehome parrot for us. The fellow we got him from had bought him as a pet for his two boys who were seven and eight. Of course, in a short period of time, Petey had bitten the snot out of both boys and they were terrified of him because of this. The guy told me he had no idea how smart parrots were and how much interaction they need. He thought they were “like gold fish, just throw some food in with them and they were good to go.” Of course the food was the usual peanuts and seeds.

Eventually the original owner realized the life Petey had was no good for him and so was looking for someone that would give him a good home. Thus began our adventure into being parrot caretakers. While we had had parakeets for a number of years before getting Petey, nothing prepared us for his adventurous nature which he displayed once he got comfortable in our home.

Petey eventually adopted our youngest daughter and they were best buddies. Unfortunately, when our daughter went off to college, Petey had to settle for my wife and me. While I learned his body language early on, I never could figure out his often quickly changing moods. One day he wanted us to pick him up, the next week he didn’t want anyone near his cage and made that clearly known. We kiddingly called him bi-polar but more often than not just called him the grumpy old man.

Pionus aren’t known for their speaking ability and Petey wasn’t much different. He had a gravely little voice that sounded like a little robot. Petey was an adventurous bird and we always had to be on the lookout for him on the floor as he enjoyed exploring. When he did something he knew he shouldn’t have, he would let out with this “woo hoo.” If you heard this you knew he was into something but had no idea what he was up to. Three or four years ago I was taking him to our vet which is about 40 minutes away. About five minutes from the vet’s, I hear the infamous “woo hoo” coming from the back seat. Using the review mirror, I scanned the back seat the best I could but couldn’t see anything unusual. About two minutes from the vet’s office I detected some movement out of the corner of my eye. I took a quick look over my shoulder only to find Petey standing on the center armrest that was in the up position watching the cars go by. He had chewed his way out of his carrier.

About three years ago Petey developed a kidney problem. Monitoring by our vet indicated the problem had stabilized itself. Then in January I took him in for his yearly checkup. A blood panel indicated his uric acid level was 39. It’s supposed to be around five. We gave him some meds for a couple weeks and things seemed okay. About five days ago I noticed he was super lethargic and sleeping excessively. So back to the vet we went. Another blood panel indicated the uric acid level was so high the machine couldn’t calculate it. The vet suggested one more med that might help but didn’t hold much hope. She suggested that he would probably do better at home but wanted me to bring him in in the morning so they could hydrate and tube feed him. So we were on our second morning of tube feedings when I mentioned that Petey could hardly stay on his perch anymore because he was getting so week. The vet tech suggested they keep him overnight and this way they could feed him every two - three hours and she could take him home and continue the feedings. About 3PM the vet tech called and told me that she didn’t think he would make it through the night as he has gotten so weak. I told her I would discuss with my wife.

My wife was already upset about this whole issue. So I decided that calling her and getting her further upset and her driving home this way was not a good thing. We had briefly talked about the possibility of having to euthanize Petey if it came to that as he didn’t deserve to suffer anymore. I thought about this for an hour or so and knew what the right thing to do was. After picking the phone up and putting it down three times I managed to call the vet and speak with the tech. The only thing I could tell her was “please make Petey fly free.”

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#257965 - 02/14/15 01:32 AM Re: Petey is flying free [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

I am so sorry for your loss. Its so hard losing a little member of your family but Petey was one of the lucky ones, he had a good home and was loved. They bring such joy to our lives and leave a huge hole in our hearts when they leave us, in the end we realize we are the lucky ones to have had the opportunity to take care of them. Petey is not suffering anymore and waiting for you to join him when that day comes. Enjoy your freedom now, little one.

#257966 - 02/14/15 01:46 AM Re: Petey is flying free [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I'm sorry Mark! They leave huge holes in our hearts when they leave us.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#257967 - 02/14/15 02:33 AM Re: Petey is flying free [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
cheekychucki Offline
cheekychucki  Offline

Ohio
This is really beautiful, Dad, and a fitting tribute. I was kinda hangin in there until the last paragraph.....

I always loved Petey's tail fanning when he was excited. My most vivid memory of Petey involves a situation in which ultimately I was bitten in the butt by a hunting dog. Better me than Petey, though. You forgot to mention that you came across Petey's classified ad while searching the classifieds for a vacuum. That's why we spent the first few weeks trying to call him Kirby. But much like his cockatoo sister Chucki, the given name was already stuck.

Petey tolerated me but loooovved Christie. There were times when they were both really grumpy, and times when I swear they were making the same grumbly noises. He was definitely a loved parrot.

We must make good on our promise to do our best for them through the very end, in exchange for the wonderful privilege of sharing their lives. You made good on that promise.

Love
Amy
(Mark's older daughter)

"CheekyChucki" is the daughter of "Chucki'sDad" and oldest human sister to the famous Chucki M2.
#257969 - 02/14/15 09:16 AM Re: Petey is flying free [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'm so sorry Mark, Amy and family. Petey was truly lucky to have landed in your home. He's hollering Woo Hoo like crazy now for sure on the bridge.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#257972 - 02/14/15 12:52 PM Re: Petey is flying free [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
I'm sorry for your family's loss. Petey really had a wonderful flock that loved and nurtured each other. I know he will be so missed. this is so tough.....hugs.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#257973 - 02/14/15 01:09 PM Re: Petey is flying free [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
hellococky Offline
hellococky  Offline

Victoria, Australia
So sorry to hear about Petey, he sounds like he was a wonderful & much loved member of your family. Letting our loved ones go is the hardest thing I think we deal with as the carers of our feathered & furry family members, but it is the bravest decision & I'm sure that they will thank us for it when we meet again at the Bridge. In the meantime, fly free Petey

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem
Cheers,
Tracy-Ann & Sam
#257974 - 02/14/15 02:39 PM Re: Petey is flying free [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I'm so sorry, Msrk. Words can't help but most of us have lost loved family members and know how it hurts.

#258043 - 02/18/15 04:47 AM Re: Petey is flying free [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Thank you for all your kind words. The folks here are the best.

Today we received two sympathy cards from our Av. Vet. One from the staff and the second from the vet. The one from the vet. included a personal hand written note. The one from the staff had the following poem printed inside. Maybe it has been posted here before but I don’t recall seeing it.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remembered them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together………
Anonymous

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#258044 - 02/18/15 04:01 PM Re: Petey is flying free [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
Rescue M2 Mom Offline
Rescue M2 Mom  Offline

Colorado
My deepest sympathies for your loss

Nothing is so strong as gentleness,
Nothing so gentle as real strength.

Saint Francis de Sales
#258084 - 02/19/15 06:53 AM Re: Petey is flying free [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Mark. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know Peter will be deeply missed. Fly free little one

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny