Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87813 - 01/07/04 05:39 AM Macaw wing damage  
Alison Offline
Alison  Offline

Massachusetts
I had answered another post about a vet wanting to pull out a birds feathers. I mentioned that my vet did that to my Macaw (all but 2 flight feathers on each wing). Well its been two and a half months since, and she has gone through a moult and not one single flight feather has come back in. She is nervous and unstable on my arm and wants to constantly hold on to either my shirt, or my finger for balance. Is it possible that the vet did permanent damage to her wings? I still don't feel as if the vet should have yanked all those feathers out. Has anyone else had this happen? And if so, did your bird ever recover? I feel so bad for her.

#87814 - 01/07/04 06:02 AM Re: Macaw wing damage  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
What medical reason would he have for pulling flight feathers?

#87815 - 01/07/04 06:19 AM Re: Macaw wing damage  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
I just found your previous post. First, I would say you need to find a different vet. And he could have possibly damaged the feather follicles if the procedure were done improperly. Since it was a procedure done without your knowledge or consent, I would also consider suing him.

#87816 - 01/07/04 07:28 AM Re: Macaw wing damage  
Alison Offline
Alison  Offline

Massachusetts
It wasn't my regular vet, it was a vet from another clinic that was filling in while mine was on vacation. She said that she pulled them because the feathers were damaged, but now her wings are damaged and so is her emotional well being. I just hope that this will eventually heal and she isn't permanently damaged.

#87817 - 01/07/04 05:22 PM Re: Macaw wing damage  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Alison:

While you are waiting for your macaw's wing feathers to regrow (this could take a long time), you need to set up his/her cage to prevent falls. Lower all perches and food dishes. Put towels with newspaper over them on the grate in case he/she does fall.

I agree with Alex. Don't let that vet touch your bird again. I had a similar problem with my citron. She was given a really bad wing clip when I was on vacation. My vet refused to pull any feathers even broken ones. As long as there is no infection and bleeding has been stopped, it is not necessary. Eventually they did all grow back after she broke 6 or 7 of her flight feathers at different times. It was a nightmare.

The ball is in your court Alison to do whatever it takes to prevent your bird from falling.

Bev, Zazu and Sally Ann

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#87818 - 01/07/04 10:40 PM Re: Macaw wing damage  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
I have to agree.
Do NOT allow THAT vet near your Macaw (or any other bird) again.
Sorry Alison - I'm not trying to make you feel any more guilty but any time a large feather is pulled it is traumatic for the bird... It HURTS!! Compare it to have hunks of hair yanked out of your head.
Sometimes we are inclined to "go along" because after all they are the professionals & know what they are doing right? Not always...
My Goffin had tail feathers pulled repeatedly after falling & breaking... To this day she HATES the person who pulled them... But the Good News... They are all back & she is FINE!! Hopefully, your macaw will heal over time as well.
Sally's suggestion of lowering everything in her cage is excellent advice.
All the best to you & yours smile
Liisa

#87819 - 01/13/04 04:57 AM Re: Macaw wing damage  
zoe luvr Offline
Lives Here
zoe luvr  Offline
Lives Here

California
Not be the bringer of bad news but the feathers may not ever grow back in. But I do think 2 months is not long enough to know for sure. My G2 had to have two flight feathers pulled because of bleeding and she is on her second molt since then and it still has not grown back and it will most likely never grow back. Luckily for her it is a secondary flight and only one feather. It has been almost 1 year since that feather was pulled and the other was pulled weeks later and came back very soon. I also think some kind of action should be taken against this vet if you did not know that those feathers were going to be plucked. That vet should be kept away from all birds.

#257754 - 01/15/15 08:07 AM Re: Macaw wing damage [Re: Alison]  
Annerie Offline
Annerie  Offline

Hi Alison!

Really hoping that you are still on here! Did your macaw's feathers ever come back?? I am now in the exact same position with my greenwing, and it doesn't seem if he'll get those feathers back...

#257756 - 01/15/15 07:17 PM Re: Macaw wing damage [Re: Alison]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Hi Annerie this thread is from 2004. Allison has been inactive since about that time. I would suggest if you are looking for information that you post your questions as a new post. Also you may want to do an introductory post in the new members section.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny