Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 31 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#255891 - 06/29/14 04:48 PM Annabelle's Story  
Channyisme Offline
Channyisme  Offline

Vero Beach, FL
I do not know all of the details, but what I do know breaks my heart. I am sometimes ashamed to share the same species with some of the people in this world.

She's an M2, somewhere between 4-6 years old. She had been at the rescue for 4 months before finding her home with us. Before that, she was raised in the home of a drug dealer & meth cooker. She was fed methamphetamines consistently, and had become addicted to those awful little chunks they fed her. Kept in a cockatiel cage, and living in filth. She was malnourished, abused and tortured. When the lady went in to rescue her, she found Feathers, blood, and pieces of Annabelle flesh all over the place.

She was put on Haldol, to counteract the self mutilation and help with the withdrawls from her addiction to Meth. We hope to be off that in the not too distant future. She has had her dosage lowered since she's been with us. Her feathers appear to be coming back, it seems every day I look at her she has a new fluff of white growing in, and new straws popping out every day.

I'm unsure of all of the abuse she endured, but I believe some was water related. She's deathly affraid of the bathroom, and of water bottles. I have yet to find a way to clean her without sending her into a frenzy. The best I've found is dipping my hands into water and gently wiping her. She refuses a wash cloth. It doesn't appear to be as traumatic as the other ways, but she still hates it & she's been through enough.

I don't know what could have happened to cause her to be so afraid of the telephone, but we don't talk on one close to her if we can avoid it. I found out this trigger one night, she spent the next 2 hours shaking and burying herself in my shoulder. She was frozen and terrified and wouldn't move. I just sang to her and let her know that she was safe, whatever happened with the phone, now we know it's a trigger for her.

She cannot be alone, not even long enough to walk to the trash can. If someone is not in her direct line of vision she starts screaming for us. Lucky for her, one of us is always here- and worst case scenario I work for my dad- so she can come to work with me if it comes to it.

She's such a sweet girl. Given her past, I'm fully expecting to have a few "chunks" of myself go missing- but I've had no indication of it. In fact, quite the opposite. She's so gentle, and has never bit or nipped anyone. Not to say that she never will, I accept that as a possibility- and in fact it makes me that much more sad to think that she doesn't. Not that I want to be bitten, but knowing what she's been through, the fact that she doesn't bite when she's scared makes me wonder what happened to make her think she couldn't defend herself. frown

She seems to be happy here. As I said before, new feathers growing in every day. She sings, and dances, and has even started playing. She's on a well balanced diet, though a bit of a picky eater I'm constantly experimenting with the stuff she refuses to make it "acceptable" for her. She's even learned to say a few new words. She loves to be sung to & read to. Her song is "just the way you are" by Bruno Mars. Her favorite story (so far) is green eggs and ham. She loves the spot light. If she starts dancing, she wants to be made a big deal. If you're not cheering her on she'll stop until you cheer.

It makes me sick to think of someone actually giving a bird meth. What some people do is beyond me. I can't stand it when someone goes out and gets one of these lovely birds, and doesn't know what they're doing it getting into. But meth is an extreme I simply cannot comprehend.

I'm glad that we found her. I honestly believe that she was brought into our lives for a reason. She's been through so much. I grew up around birds, as far back as my memory goes it's something I've always known. Im so happy that I found her.

#255896 - 06/29/14 06:50 PM Re: Annabelle's Story [Re: Channyisme]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Wow I'm not sure what to say. Her story is so sad but as you said it's a new beginning for her. Thank you for taking this sweet girl in. Many would have run in the other direction upon hearing of her past.
I look forward to hearing updates on her progress over the coming months.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#255897 - 06/29/14 08:59 PM Re: Annabelle's Story [Re: Channyisme]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
Quote:
I'm glad that we found her. I honestly believe that she was brought into our lives for a reason. She's been through so much. I grew up around birds, as far back as my memory goes it's something I've always known. Im so happy that I found her.

Wow a true rescue if there ever was one of a Too in a dire place in need of a good home. With your love, patience and understanding and I know you are giving her tons of all and a first class avian veterinarian on board she has a good home with you. Thanks for taking in the toughest of the Toos in need. Most people run like the wind when confronted with a complex rehab but not you! Please -updates if you don't mind. I've known people face to face taking in dogs and cats from meth houses via the ASPCA and the psych. meds given to dogs and cats until the meth washes out of the animal but I've never known of a Too or any parrot from such environment.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#255905 - 06/30/14 10:18 AM Re: Annabelle's Story [Re: Channyisme]  
Rescue M2 Mom Offline
Rescue M2 Mom  Offline

Colorado
Bless you, and good luck!

I'm surprised she survived, even a tiny crystal could easily kill a bird, and several of the chemicals used in meth production are respiratory irritants even for humans.

I pray the damage can be overcome.
I suspect you have a long road to recovery ahead of you.

I have a house full of assorted rescues, but the depth of depravity behind this is still shocking and unnerving. I'm glad she has found a better place.

Hope everything works out well.

Nothing is so strong as gentleness,
Nothing so gentle as real strength.

Saint Francis de Sales
#255924 - 07/06/14 03:49 AM Re: Annabelle's Story [Re: Channyisme]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Thank you for taking in this wonderful, beautiful little girl. As I have said many times, the road to hell will surely be full of those who abuse the helpless, children,the elderly and animals. She sounds like a very special girl and you too for taking her in. It amazes me how these abused birds can ever love and trust again but I guess its a testament to their ability to forgive and their strength to endure and mans depravity.

#255956 - 07/13/14 12:14 AM Re: Annabelle's Story [Re: Channyisme]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
So glad she is sent to you! You must be a special person, to receive a gift of that sort!
It sounds as if she already knows you are trustworthy, and is becoming very dependent. Keep on loving her. It's worth it!
(I say this because the conure who has lived with us for over nine years now, just recently decided it was safe to let me use either a broom or a vacuum cleaner, without constant ear-bludgeoning screams of warning and "instruction". Not sure what the history of the phobia was, but am really, really glad he's finally decided I am not going to do whatever "they" did)

Jody
#257394 - 12/02/14 03:16 PM Re: Annabelle's Story [Re: Channyisme]  
countrymouse Offline
countrymouse  Offline

I am so happy for Annabelle. She is blessed to have someone love her. It makes my heart sad to think of all the others out there that are suffering alone, with no hope in sight.

#258466 - 05/25/15 05:31 AM Re: Annabelle's Story [Re: Channyisme]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
How is this dear bird now? Regarding her dread of water, I am wondering if she would have the same fear of gentle rain? Does she have a cage that she could go outside in perhaps on a warm day when there is just a light, gentle rainfall?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#258493 - 05/28/15 11:09 PM Re: Annabelle's Story [Re: Channyisme]  
OwnedTango Offline
OwnedTango  Offline

Florida
Thanks for the rain idea. My Tango was also rescued from abuse and I think water was involved. When I first got him he tolerated his shower perch, but after the honeymoon was over, he lets me know he hates it. He is terrified of water being squirted even from a mister. I will definitely try the rain.

Susie, owned by Tango MSC2

Animals are just people with fur, feathers or scales
#258926 - 09/29/15 01:45 AM Re: Annabelle's Story [Re: OwnedTango]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Originally Posted By: OwnedTango
Thanks for the rain idea. My Tango was also rescued from abuse and I think water was involved. When I first got him he tolerated his shower perch, but after the honeymoon was over, he lets me know he hates it. He is terrified of water being squirted even from a mister. I will definitely try the rain.

Did it help at all OwnedTango? I have just had an extremely phobic IRN, a PBFD victim join me. He has only been here one day, so I have yet to find out how he reacts to misting. I am just giving him a little time to settle before even attempting to wet him, the poor creature.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny