Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 43 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#255720 - 06/10/14 02:44 AM Cockatiel and new U2  
KateD Offline
KateD  Offline

My fiancee and I have a 3.5 yr old Cockatiel named Neville, and recently added a U2 to the family.

Neville had always been "top bird" in the household, lording over the cats and his friend Hina, the barbary dove. Adding Hamlet has been a difficult adjustment for him, and I'm worried about him.

Hamlet, our U2, is prone to displays and some aggression/territorial displays, which worries me about having them near each other. Both birds, while also close to my fiancee, are males and thus seek out my female companionship... and this can lead to trouble when they seek it at the same time. They both are accustomed to spending large amounts of time outside of their cages.

My biggest problem is that Neville just isn't afraid of Hamlet, and this lack of survival instinct is driving me crazy. Keeping them separated takes up a good amount of energy, and I want more than anything for them to just get along.

I know it took a good six months for Hina and Neville to form a their little friendship/flock bond, am I looking at that amount of time for our new addition? Since they are such different sizes, is it likely that they will ever form a flock bond?

I'd love any advice anyone might have.

#255721 - 06/10/14 02:56 AM Re: Cockatiel and new U2 [Re: KateD]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
My advice? Don't ever let the small birds have contact with the big guy. Accidents will happen no matter how hard you try to keep them separate, but try anyway. Let's hope none of the goofs results in damage. Even climbing on cages can cause terrible damage. If your vet treats birds you probably know that. My vet used to advise giving them good stuff and treats when they were together so they related the good stuff with the other birds. It certainly reinforces the flock mentality...

Take special care of that Neville. When I got my Macaw it nearly broke my Blue-Front Amazon's little heart... special birds, both, but it is hard on a little guy. The big birds simply DEMAND attention and they are harder to overlook. Make special private time for Neville. He deserves it.

Last edited by Birdfriend; 06/10/14 02:59 AM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#255722 - 06/10/14 03:20 AM Re: Cockatiel and new U2 [Re: KateD]  
KateD Offline
KateD  Offline

Looking at the bites a 'too can give a person, I am horrified at the thought of him getting his beak on either of my little birds. Keeping everyone safe and happy is my top priority.

It's harder to give Neville the time he is used to, but I make a special point to have one on one time with him in the evenings after Hamlet's bedtime, although it's harder on Hamelt's bad nights, because they tend to get Neville upset, then we have to put him to bed too.

I love my little guy very much, and the last thing I want is to make life harder on him. Ironically, he's been somewhat more affectionate lately, I think because he's wanting to compete with the Cuddle Master himself. He's never been one for pets or skirtches, mostly asking for occasional head rubs, but by and large happy to sit on an arm, or eat millet on my desk. Maybe, just maybe, watching Hamlet get so much love will teach Neville that hugs are wonderful things for birds. laugh

#255729 - 06/10/14 03:48 PM Re: Cockatiel and new U2 [Re: KateD]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
Tiels and Toos interacting in any manner whatsoever at all is a death sentence for the tiel. I had a one leg tiel, Peggy, for almost a decade as she was left for dead at the vet's office by someone taking her in due to the macaw having amputated the leg through the bars as the tiel was climbing on the macaw cage and 'chomp'. This human cared enough to take Peggy in but never returned the next day as she took her in late in the day and was told to come back tomorrow. Peggy had to have x rays and such to find out if there was internal trauma, blunt force trauma from the macaw attack to make sure she didn't have any internal bleeding and such and the AV did a good workup and called me to come get her as she was legally considered abandoned and the lady didn't give a real address or number.

My AV has had so many little birds her care due to accidents
and it's always the same, cat attacks which require immediate care with systemic antibiotics as in antibiotic shots as cat bites and cat claws sometimes don't kill but they are so very filthy with bacteria and owners think the bird is fine but it takes between 12 and 72 hours for the pathogenic bacteria to kill from a cat bite or scratch and many people think a little peroxide does it but it doesn't. Bites from large parrots a close second in why little birds get injured often enough while climbing on the large parrots cage. Then it goes stepped on, yes stepped on or sat on and then it goes drowning, yes drowning as people leave toilet lid seats up and leave glasses of water out. Little birds like budgies, tiels, lovebirds perch to drink the water or soda and more than a few have been found head down in glass dead. Sometimes they are alive enough and the owner takes to an emergency vet clinic. So it goes with accidents for little parrots presenting at vet; cat and dog bites, large parrot bites, stepped on, sat on and nearly drowned as even if you see it happen and get the bird out fast there is always the beverage in the lungs and pneumonia. Little birds don't mix with big birds. Keep them apart always, please.

Create time just for the tiel and if you find the tiel suffering from 'only little bird' syndrome since you moved up to a big bird then consider adopting another tiel of the same sex, look on petfinder and all over, they are out there and do a proper quarantine, and proper introduction over time. If you ever see it going that the little bird is lonely due to keeping big and little Too apart and little bird let me know as I know little bird, tiel, resuce and rehomers all over, NY state, PA, Maine, NJ, VA, WV, SC, Georgia, Texas, northern FL, Tennessee, Alabama and I only deal with quality legitimate rehomers and I often see people moving up from a tiel to a too and then either dumping the tiel or the tiel which was the center of attention not getting the interaction due to the new too. If you ever want a free tiel and you are a good home let me know as there are many just waiting for a good home with another tiel.

you post 'Adding Hamlet has been a difficult adjustment for him, and I'm worried about him.' I'm glad you care.

you post 'I love my little guy very much, and the last thing I want is to make life harder on him.' Then don't.

you post 'Keeping everyone safe and happy is my top priority.' This is great and I respect this and wish all parrot guardians had this attitude.

Parrots either need intense human company or company of their own species. They are flock animals and if you cannot be his flock as much and are worried then adopt another tiel from a legitimate source. Tiels can do very well with other tiels even if they were previously the only tiel and not used to other tiels. They often by instinct want their own kind and just as a budgie given the chance to pick between a flock of another budgie always picks the other budgie over the human so do tiels. This is why those wanting a talking budgie or a 'cuddly' tiel are always told they cannot be caged with their own kind as they have a natural instinct to pick their own kind for friends.

If you cannot give the tiel the same amount of time anymore as he does see you as his flock member then please get him a 'real' flock member aka another tiel. Nice to meet you and I'm so glad you joined here. We are a caring bunch of people for sure.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#255731 - 06/10/14 06:01 PM Re: Cockatiel and new U2 [Re: KateD]  
KateD Offline
KateD  Offline

Neville and Hina the dove have formed their own little, if unusual, flock, so I'm not so worried about him having company. He also loves his cat, who is very much his (again, unusual), so he has a full life of company.

I have discouraged them from hanging out too close to eachother. The little birds have the cat tree that they hang out on, and no one is allowed near anyone else's cage. I have set firm ground rules for that, that they all seem to respect.

I am disappointed that they won't be friends, as foolish as that my seem, but I do understand. It was kind of what I was seeing, but I was still hopeful. If I need to keep them apart, then that it what will be done.

I'm still hopeful that maybe, with time, Hamlet won't get so spooked when the smaller birds flap their wings. maybe? >.>

Neville and his kitty Aura- who are always well supervised
http://oi59.tinypic.com/6f09jl.jpg

Last edited by KateD; 06/10/14 06:15 PM.
#255732 - 06/10/14 06:25 PM Re: Cockatiel and new U2 [Re: KateD]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

Supervision means nothing and you are not being a good guardian by permitting your cat and tiel out to interact. Sorry to be blunt but this is a fatality waiting to happen. Your pic of a cat and a tiel sleeping right beside each other is not good parrot guardianship.

#255733 - 06/10/14 06:33 PM Re: Cockatiel and new U2 [Re: KateD]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Hi Kate and welcome to Mytoos. I'm happy to see you reaching out for information. This is a great group here that are always willing to help.
"Neville and his kitty Aura- who are always well supervised" sorry but no that picture shows a disaster waiting to happen. Please so some research on cat bites and Pasteurella multocida. What Jackieboy said is very accurate. It's only a matter of hours to get the antibiotic into the bird.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#255735 - 06/10/14 09:03 PM Re: Cockatiel and new U2 [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
Please read this thread that haunts me:

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=254853#Post254853

The poster is one of the best bird keepers around, and yet this tragedy happened. Do you need any more to be said on this matter? Aphrodite's legacy may be to save other birdies. No scratches. No punctures. Just cat saliva.

Last edited by Birdfriend; 06/10/14 10:25 PM.

#255737 - 06/11/14 02:11 AM Re: Cockatiel and new U2 [Re: KateD]  
KateD Offline
KateD  Offline

I wrote up a big long post about how my cat and bird are special with a special relationship, but I don't think it's really necessary. I do know about saliva and the danger of bites, and the last almost four years have given me reason to trust her not to bite or scratch him.

HOWEVER, I'll have to read more about the cat saliva on unbroken skin. I can only find one source on google to support that, but still. THAT is something I have never heard of before, and that is something that would have me rethink their situation. She can be quite drooly. I'll have to talk to my vet about it as well.

It doesn't matter how close they are, if just her happy drool can be that dangerous to him. Poor Neville, he loves his kitty so. frown

Last edited by KateD; 06/11/14 02:18 AM.
#255745 - 06/11/14 10:51 AM Re: Cockatiel and new U2 [Re: KateD]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

Quote:
I wrote up a big long post about how my cat and bird are special with a special relationship, but I don't think it's really necessary.

You are correct as it isn't necessary to write up a big long post of your perceived special relationship between your cat a predatory animal and your cockatiel a prey animal. Thank you for sparing me such a sickening read as I've read enough of them from others. The only thing special about this relationship is you created it as you think it's cute and charming. It's neither cute nor charming and is a fatality waiting to happen. You suffer from a 'pet mentality' and this mentality is deadly to any animal in your care. I did though write up a big long post about 'pet mentality'.

I know I'm here to share, learn from others and educate. I'd be doing you a huge disservice if I didn't tell you how it is. They all cry about how many months or years the cat was just fine with the bird when they post here of how their heart is breaking because the cat got the bird.

Quote:
I do know about saliva and the danger of bites, and the last almost four years have given me reason to trust her not to bite or scratch him.

Then this cancels out your prior post of
Quote:
Keeping everyone safe and happy is my top priority.

I think you are the 'special' in the special relationship not the cat and not the parrot. We take the guardianship of parrots seriously here and you posting a pic of a cat and a parrot together is very, very much a cause for education.

#255850 - 06/25/14 02:51 AM Re: Cockatiel and new U2 [Re: JackieBoy]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
One of my favorite qoutes:

"Cats are NOT clean animals! They are covered with CAT SPIT!!"

#256563 - 08/31/14 04:45 AM Re: Cockatiel and new U2 [Re: KateD]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

It is possible to have all of these different birds and cats live safely in one home but it is up to you to guarantee their safety. Can you move the tiel and dove to another room, free from the cat and too? they may not like it at first but they will be fine and most important, safe. If you let the cat around your birds its just irresponsible and disregarding the lives in your charge. The too should never be trusted around the smaller guys or the cat. if a too wants something eventually he will get it, bird or cat so you must do whatever you can to ensure their safety. many of us here are telling you this from experience and hoping to save your little guys from a horrifying death and you years of grief. I can tell you love them all so please do the right thing.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny