Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#256310 - 08/15/14 06:21 PM Helen aka Helix Rest in Peace Dear Lady  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
I received a telephone call last evening from the adult daughter of a dear Moluccan Cockatoo guardian having passed with a request for a notice here and I honestly don't know how to word it but I'll try my best.

Helen aka Helix adopted an M2 and named him Felix in 1992 from a dog/cat shelter in Georgia. Helen aka Helix took pity on this poor large M2 and took him home and had no prior parrot experience but Helen had a heart of gold and a love for all to include animals. Helen aka Helix with the M2 named Felix met the good group of parrot people on another message board for parrots which was a pre Mytoos message board. I met Helen on this pre mytoos messagae board and loved her dearly and many of us emailed and talked on the phone. After a few years we all lost touch as often happens when life is busy.

Then Mytoos opened which I was not here when it opened however Helen aka Helix on that other pre Mytoos parrot message board and a few others joined here on this board. Helen's daughter does not know her Mom's username here but is almost certain is not Helix as her mom didn't want the 'bad types' from the other board following her here. Since I was not here when this board started I am clueless also as to her username here. Helen was only here for a while her daughter told me as between her life getting so busy she wasn't here all that long maybe a year or a bit more I was told BUT the joy is that Helen aka Helix told her daughter about MYTOOS message board! and told her it was the real thing, good, honest and told it like it is about cockatoos and she learned here and taught here and when Felix was getting to be too much after years and with more new grandchildren soon to be in her life Felix came close to being rehomed but was not due to the mytoos message board.

Her daughter told me that if not for the Mytoos Message Board her mother would have rehomed Felix the Moluccan Cockatoo! but due to the sincerity, dedication and solid information here did NOT rehome Felix the M2 rather had an aviary built out of her sliding doors in her dining area for Felix the M2, an indoor/outdoor aviary where Felix learned to play, flap and hang out which prevented rehoming.

Helen's mentioning of Mytoos years ago and all the good information and great people is yet one more testiment as to the very real good that this board does for cockatoos and other parrots and their people. The daughter found my number in her mom's address book with the designation Bird Guy Friend and thankfully I kept my landlines all these years and she called me to tell me that her mother died in her home in Georgia in her own bed with family and friends right beside her at age 92. Felix the M2 was transitioned years ago to her (the daughter's home) place to include the indoor/outdoor aviary and Felix is fine, doing great and all is well with Felix. He is a family member with 3 cages in the home in addition to his aviary and is not a cage bound neglected M2 living alone.

Helen was well known and loved for her sweetness, her sincerity and her fun sense of humor. I remember her ribbing me often online and loved her dearly 'do you ever get dizzy Jack?' (Jack in the Box) from all that jumping up and down! 'you better stay fit and trim so you can keep jumping!' (Jack be nimble, Jack be quick...) and Helen loved to rib us all and was a very wonderful, down to earth, common sense lady with a heart of gold for all people and all animals. The first time we talked on the phone I told her I loved her accent as I have always loved a lady with a sweet southern accent and she told me I was the one with the accent! which she liked! but I might learn to say the R at the end of words!!! One delightful and fine lady for sure. We talked now and again for a few years and emailed as she did with others she met online.

She was completely against cockatoos and all other parrots as pets and wasn't afraid to tell anyone that they do not belong in captivity and should not be bred at all. She went rounds a few times with problem people as although she was a dear lady she could also be as tough as nails when need be with anyone spouting out anything pro breeding or pro parrots as pets.

I hope I worded this up ok as it's kinda hard to do without knowing the person's username here but if you are one of the first members here the first year or so here and you knew Helen aka Helix from another pre Mytoos parrot board her daughter wants it to be well known THANK YOU for helping her mom out when things got really rough with Felix the M2 as if not for you and this board, Mytooos message board and the solid information here Felix would have been rehomed. This one's for you Helen. I give my birds fresh waTER twice a day not WAtah!

Rest in Peace Helen and Thank You for Being You.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#256340 - 08/16/14 04:14 AM Re: Helen aka Helix Rest in Peace Dear Lady [Re: JackieBoy]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Don't remember her but glad she figured things out. Sounds like a very smart lady that did the best she could for her Moluccan. If she got help here, I'm more than thankful.

#256555 - 08/30/14 11:39 PM Re: Helen aka Helix Rest in Peace Dear Lady [Re: JackieBoy]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Sounds like she was a sweetheart! Thank you for telling her story.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny