Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 11 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#255268 - 04/04/14 07:42 PM Questions about my new Cockatiel! (:  
Jenn95 Offline
Jenn95  Offline

My Cockatiel Hi my name is Jenn (: I recently got a 3 month old baby Lutino Cockatiel. (Picture in link). I'm not sure if "he" is male or female yet (waiting on DNA results). Anyway I just have a few questions about him. One when I talk or whistle to him he bobs his head up and down and chirps. (Not a shaking motion but an up and down bob.) is he happy or is he annoyed by the noises and sounds I'm making? Also he stretches a lot, a one wing, one foot stretch. Is this normal? I know cockatiels stretch but he does it a lot. It doesn't bother me just want to make sure he's ok (: also how do I know if he likes me? I'm not rushing it, he just got here 4 days ago. Of course I expect him to be frightened it's a new place! I just want him to feel comfortable (: he tries to fly to me a lot (breeder clipped his wings). So maybe he likes me, I hope. I have just been trying to let him be and get him used to his surroundings and my voice, and the sounds of the house (: anyway sorry for all the questions! It's just my first cockatiel, I do have an appointment for the vet of course it's just not until next Thursday (soonest available). But he seems happy and healthy (: thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

#255269 - 04/04/14 09:53 PM Re: Questions about my new Cockatiel! (: [Re: Jenn95]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Please take a minute and read our agenda.
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126292#Post126292

What you are seeing is typical baby movements begging for food. Mass produced and pulled from the nest too early. Google Weaning Sadie and read the article. I can't link it here because it's a breeder site. This is about a cockatoo but cockatiels are just minature toos. There are hundreds if not thousands of cockatiels in rescues around the country needing a home. Breeders pumped them out, owners get tired, frustrated and what not and there goes the teil into a rescue.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#255270 - 04/04/14 10:02 PM Re: Questions about my new Cockatiel! (: [Re: Jenn95]  
Jenn95 Offline
Jenn95  Offline

Actually I was looking for a cockatiel in a shelter/rescue to take but there were none. The closest shelter was in Hope,NJ which my mom said was to far...I tried to stress to my mom that I wanted to get a rescue...she said she didn't want to get a bird other then a cockatiel. All 10 of my other pets were rescues...I normally would never buy a pet...but my aunt knew this lady, she's a very close friend, I wasn't looking for a rude response...just some advice -_- and I would never get rid of my pets, I would never take a responsibility if I couldn't commit to it.

Last edited by Jenn95; 04/04/14 10:03 PM.
#255271 - 04/04/14 10:50 PM Re: Questions about my new Cockatiel! (: [Re: Jenn95]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Actually I wasn't rude just stating facts and giving you information that you requested.
I'm glad that you are committed to your animals. Read the article I suggested it will give the information that you are looking for.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#255272 - 04/05/14 12:42 AM Re: Questions about my new Cockatiel! (: [Re: Jenn95]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
You need to call and make a sooner appointment with an avian veterinarian. You've had him for four days and next Thursday is simply not soon enough. If the vet. cannot accomodate a more timely appt. then find another avian vet. able to see this tiel sooner. This tiel needs an exam and a weight.

Your post describes what people deal with all the time when having purchased a baby tiel or any parrot - an unweaned bird. Survival eating is common in tiels having been sold unweaned. Anorexia is common in unwenaed parrots. Polydipsia or excessive water consumption can happen if the unweaned parrot tries to fill up the tummy with water and this in turn can lead to hyponatremia which is when all the water washes out all the electrolytes in the blood.

We do not discuss handfeeding and weaning here and I am merely giving you my thoughts as to what may be wrong with this parrot.

Your best resource is a qualified avian veterinarian.

The constant stretching of wings and legs is do to the instinct to fledge, to learn to fly, which he is being denied by the breeder having clipped the flights. He is trying to fly to you but also trying to learn to fly. He is a 'drop' risk and injury can happen to him so you need to cup his wings when you take him out of the cage and put him back in the cage so he doesn't fall on the floor when he goes to jump/tries to fly and may land on the floor, hard, thud.

Cup your hands over his back and wings making a C with your hand and gently cover back and wings while perched on your other hand to prevent jumps and a thump on the floor.

Captivity is very cruel to our birds and contrary to what any scumbag breeder tells you a tiel is not 'weaned and ready to go' at 3 months.

Is this tiel eating well? You do not mention food intake at all. Is the food intake enough? This parrot should be eating till tummy is full each AM and each PM for sure and not begging at all. Snacking during the day is also good.

You really need to have this tiel seen by an avian vet. before next Thursday. You state 'any advice would be greatly appreciated' and my advice is to get this tiel into an avian vet. first thing Monday morning at the very latest.

You got taken and this parrot is already being set up for major physical, behavioral and psychological issues. The trust is going to be shot as weaning is not a learned behavior it's developmental and breeders know this but lie through their teeth.

I can't share the link as it's a breeder site but even the scumbag breeders write 'Most handfed cockatiel chicks wean at around 12 - 14 weeks of age. However its not unusual nor abnormal for the chick to wean as late as 16 - 20 weeks.' and 'It is very important not to hurry the process. Many try to wean their baby birds too soon, denying them the emotional security and quality nutrition that they need.' and this is from the site of a cockatiel breeder and as much as I hate those breeding parrots it is true.

You got taken by someone either not knowing what they are doing or not caring...... Now you must fix this and the first step is an avian veterinarian now, not next Thursday. You asked for advice and this is my advice and also my thoughts.

Please google and read what BE2Cassie posted as it's excellent and you really need to read it.

You have a life to care for and the behavior you describe means a trip to an avian vet ASAP. I take the guardianship of any life very seriously and I hope you do also.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#255329 - 04/11/14 07:38 PM Re: Questions about my new Cockatiel! (: [Re: Jenn95]  
Jenn95 Offline
Jenn95  Offline

Yes she is eating well. I leave food for her 24/7 (seeds) I also know how important it is (especially for females) to have lots of protein she gets eggs every morning as well as broccoli (or peas I switch off every day) she has access to food and water all the time. Also I haven't noticed that she "over drinks" she's actually doing well with that. We have already bonded a lot she sits on my shoulder most of the day. She stopped her head bobbing. Which I was pleased to see (as I did not know this was her "begging" for food. But she eats and seems happy. She's very, very active and plays a lot. As I said there are no avian vets anywhere close to me. And the closest one is an hour and a half away. I called and called and I told them it's important I get an appointment (as I knew). They said they could get me in today. So I will be having her seen today. She's doing well her droppings are normal and as I said is very active. I'm very committed to her and will do anything to keep her happy and most importantly healthy. Thank you both for the advice. I wasn't trying to be mean or rude either, I just get defensive when it comes to my pets. I will keep you updated. But as I said she's doing very well (:

#255330 - 04/11/14 07:42 PM Re: Questions about my new Cockatiel! (: [Re: Jenn95]  
Jenn95 Offline
Jenn95  Offline

Though I do have one question? I will bring it up to my avian vet as well but...she has been eating her droppings?? I mean like picking at them. I don't know why, but as I said she is eating well (and I make sure she is actually eating and not just dropping seeds. It just seemed odd. But that was all, thank you again (:

#255332 - 04/11/14 08:03 PM Re: Questions about my new Cockatiel! (: [Re: Jenn95]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Talk with the vet concerning her diet. You will need to change it up a bit to keep her healthy. Pellets, greens, veggies,fruit and grains should be added. An all seed diet is not a good diet and will lead to fatty liver disease down the road. Eggs should be once per week and crush the shell up when you prepare it. The calcium is in the shell.
Check out this page for additional ideas. http://mytoos.com/food.shtml
Tiels are foragers so you may want to incorporate a flat pan or dish in the bottom of her cage away from where she can poop from the perch into it. I would also be sure to use white paper on the bottom of her cage and avoid substrates like corn cob and crushed walnuts. You don't want her ingesting any of that.
Good luck at the vets today and give an update.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny