Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254766 - 02/05/14 05:44 AM Metallic odor in tiel with past medical treatments  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
I've never had this one before a medically treated semi chronic egg laying hen has a metallic odor to her. It's her entire body and I've smelled her skin only as best I can by gently parting her chest feathers and she just has this metallic type odor of her all over. She laid only three eggs with the past two weeks and she's been with me for almost 4 years and is what I call a predictable layer and using environmental therapies I magange to keep her at 3 or 4 eggs each winter and each summer. She is soft food dosed with Nekton MSA about two weeks before she starts to lay as I watch behavior and can tell when a tiel hen is getting ready to lay and the Nekton MSA continues to be given daily until two weeks after the last egg is laid. This is all under the supervision of a superior avian veterinarian.

I put in a call to the AV voicemail and she will get back to me tomorrow. I noticed the metallic odor a few hours ago. It's only her and she is the only tiel on Nekton MSA right now. Nobody else has a metallic odor. The reasonable cause and effect to me is the Nekton MSA but I used this same bottle on other hens in the last two monts and none of them had this odor.

Has anyone ever had any parrot or any bird, finch etc with a metallic odor to them?

She is otherwise fine in all areas, eating, flapping wings, and is fine except she has the metallic odor. I'm stopping the Nekton as she's almost two weeks since last egg laid anyway.

I did years ago have one chronic egglayer I took in from an AV having been egg bound and the owner signed her over the AV and then the AV called me and I said I'll take her. This egg bound hen had a slight odor all over of distilled white vinegar very slight for about a week after I got her. The vet said sometimes lupron can cause a very slight, short term odor of vinegar in tiel hens and is nothing to worry about.

This hen now though has never had lupron, ever. All I can think of is the Nekton or maybe her hormones are just out of wack or something and I'll be taking her in to the AV tomorrow, weather permitting we are expecting 7 - 9 accumulation for tomorrow AM.

She just has this metalic odor to her. Has anyone ever had this in any bird, hen or male, tiel, Too, any parrot or softbill?

All I can think of it that it's either from the Nekton MSA or her hormones are out of whack or I I have no idea.

I've been doing internet searches to try to find out if calcium supplementation can cause an odor in parrots as the Nekton has calcium in addition to other things.

She was on Mibolerone drops for a few weeks last year when she laid 9 eggs despite her few years of not laying more than 3 -4 twice a year. The Mibolerone works great in a pinch to stop it but my current AV doesn't have the DEA certificate to prescribe it anymore and she is lupron resistant having laid deformed eggs on lupron from her former owner as lupron does wear off over time in some hens.

Has anyone here had any hen of any parrot or softbill on Mibolerone? I met one person at the vet school hospital and he had a U2 hen on it and said it gave her a weird odor on and off for months after it was stopped. I lost touch with him.

A metallic odor I know from having been through it can also be from renal failure or other things as I've had rescues with AV diagnosed renal failure having a metallic odor.

I'm in for a ride tomorrow and I'm praying the snow and wintery mix isn't bad. I just have a zillion scenarios going through my mind based on one tiel that had this same metallic odor a few years ago and chem panel showed renal failure. But I'm jumping ahead.

When I got this hen her first bloodwork had very highly elevated creatine and BUN but after only two months with me it was normal. Her prior owner who gave up on her when she went egg bound pumped her full of calcium year round and we all know that ongoing high dose calcium supps. can cause renal damage and renal failure. I only give supps when they need it to prevent renal damage with the calcium as directed by the AV.

They only thing I can find online about the Mibolerone is here http://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Controlling-Unwanted-Egg-Laying-in-Birds.pdf and I'm not using 'Dr.Google' as she will, road condition permitting, be at the AV tomorrow. I'm just brainstorming as I am getting worried. My AV consulted with Dr. Sakas by phone in the past over this tiel and one other and I'm just trying to find anything about this mess she may be in again after doing so well for a few years.

Something is wrong and I'm just panicked as she won't go to the AV tomorrow if the roads are bad. They already cancelled schools for tomorrow.

I really hate bird breeders right now. I wish they could live with what I live with that they produced.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#254768 - 02/05/14 03:47 PM Re: Metallic odor in tiel with past medical treatments [Re: JackieBoy]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I haven't noticed anything like that. Keep us posted. Thoughts for the little one!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#254770 - 02/06/14 04:11 AM Re: Metallic odor in tiel with past medical treatments [Re: JackieBoy]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
Her chem panel was so very bad with such high elevations of every single thing, even her electrolytes were off the charts, her kidneys were shot and the AV said she didn't even know how a tiel this sick could be eating some still and have a basic level of activity. Her blood glucose was so high off the charts and her vision starting to suffer this AM which the vet said was from the high glucose. She had urine in her blood very bad the vet said. I've been down this road before more than a couple of times and all this hen had to look forwarrd to was misery and pain, so, together, the AV and I felt the best thing was to let her go now before she started having the acute full blown symptoms of multi organ failure. She was euthanized with me right beside her. She had some nice bites of plain cheerios which she loves as a treat and lots of cuddles and loves by me and the AV and then she without any anxiety or trauma fell asleep in a clear box and never woke up.

Her chem panel was so bad the AV said that without the great care and diet and home she had, she wouldn't have lived this long to have such messed up chem panel. She told me it only told her just what kind of care, diet, home she had to make it this far which in some tiny way made me feel better of the situation. She was 8 and this is kinda old for a tiel hen with her history of chronic egg laying and binding before she came to me. A tiny parrot can only take so much on and off treatment. The body is just too tiny to endure a decade of on and off meds. She had almost 5 years of great life with me. She shined all over and was very active and silly and goofy and sweet. The biggest thing she loved was FLYING all over my apt. each day. At least she had this with me. And she loved just being able to be a bird as best can be in captivity.

She was flying just 48 hours ago, short flights and was preening and eating fine but then this odor of metal, a metallic odor permeated her all over she still had no real symptoms of renal and hepatic failure but did have a slight zombie demeanor - I've had this before in tiel hens with a history of years of being on and off medically treated for chronic laying, this zombie washover demeanor and each time the hen's chem panel was off the charts all over the place and I did supportive care at home when she would crash in a few days , then after a day or two of supportive care to include gavage feedings I had to take her in for euthanization. So we just had to put her down as it was the only kind and loving thing to do.

So, this time, I had to chock back the tears,suck it up, and be brave for this little tiel hen having done so well for going on almost 5 years now and simply set her free before she crashed in a few days. The AV and I spared her the agony laid out before her, she ate her happy food, she was loved, she fell asleeep with us right beside her and never woke up. I could have taken her home with the rubber gavage tubes, formula, liquid pain meds and the rest as I've done before but why put her through this as she hadn't yet crashed so why let her crash. I value all life in all forms and take euthanasia very seriously.

Another 'pet' parrot success story I'd love to shove down the throats of all breeding and selling any parrot be it a tiel or a too or a macaw or whatever. The only thing this tiel was guilty of was being a bird in captivity and nothing else for her crime of being a bird in captivity she was abandoned at the AV almost 5 years ago by her 'owner' who couldn't deal with an eggbound tiel, didn't care to treat her and didn't want to learn ways to prevent or reduce further laying and I got that dreaded call on my caller ID..... my AV wanting to know if I'd adopt another girl..... and I did just because I do.

The breeder made money, the pet shops made money, the tiel had a life of on an off medical treatment which was only because she was wanting to do a very natural thing in a very unnatural place called captivity. I got the worry, stress, bills, of what the breeder produced, the shops sold and nobody gives a damn about the long term of all this breeding and selling of parrots only the fast cash.... The ultimate victim is the parrot though. I don't give a damn about me just the parrots.

My baby girl. You had almost 5 great years with me. You flew high in my apt., knew the companionship and company of your own kind, loved to forage feed and made HUGE messes for daddy to clean up, and did so well but now you're really free my baby girl. Fly high forever. I'm so sorry I had to do this but someday when we meet again we will both know why it happened how it did and you and I can both be free together for all of eternity.

I could just wad up those chem panel repots and shove them right down the throats of anyone breeding and selling parrots as they were the cause of all this not me or the AV.

To the ones here who know me face to face or on the phone I already know you love me and care but just don't call me until next week. I love you too. I'm angry and messed up right now and I just need a few 'down time days'.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#254771 - 02/06/14 04:41 AM Re: Metallic odor in tiel with past medical treatments [Re: JackieBoy]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I'm sorry for your loss! Fly free little one!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#254772 - 02/06/14 05:40 AM Re: Metallic odor in tiel with past medical treatments [Re: JackieBoy]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear little friend.

We'll see you when you're ready, hugs...

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#254773 - 02/06/14 07:32 PM Re: Metallic odor in tiel with past medical treatments [Re: JackieBoy]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'm so very sorry to hear of your little girls passing. It's obvious she was well loved for her final 5 years.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#254774 - 02/06/14 08:18 PM Re: Metallic odor in tiel with past medical treatments [Re: JackieBoy]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I'm so sorry for your loss. That decision is the hardest anyone ever has to make. I'm sitting here crying like a baby. I hate having to make this type of call any time.

I think the metallic odor is a sign of diabetes. I believe its one of the symptoms of a pancreas having problems.

Last edited by Elliott; 02/06/14 08:20 PM.
#254788 - 02/09/14 07:15 AM Re: Metallic odor in tiel with past medical treatments [Re: JackieBoy]  
Ladystas Offline
Ladystas  Offline

I am so very sorry for your loss.

#254814 - 02/12/14 01:07 PM Re: Metallic odor in tiel with past medical treatments [Re: JackieBoy]  
Dmr1414 Offline
Dmr1414  Offline

FL
So sorry for your loss.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny