Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 13 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254663 - 01/23/14 04:41 PM Best Toy Ever  
kevinmc2013 Offline
kevinmc2013  Offline

The bird store where I buy all my supplies from has a rewards program, so after 6 months so purchases, I received a $50.00 in store credit, I had plenty of food, treats, toys. So I searched their site for a toy that I thought would stimulate my U2 & M2. This is what I found.

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/hollyandmagoo/media/Birds/Toys/Birdtoy_zpseaecc586.jpg.html

Now to snaze it up even more, I hung a 24" bungee rope to the middle hanger & sneaker foot toys to the four hangers on the bottom of the cups. I filled the cups with their favorite nuts & hide a nutria-berry in each of the sneakers. I hung it in their cages & naturally they both looked at it like it was a alien from another planet. Well after about 15 minutes of examining it, they played with that thing for 2 hours. Always makes me happy to know that they keep themselves busy when I'm not home.

Here is another good one, both mastered getting the treats out rather quickly, but I was surprised they played with it after the treats were out, twisting the knobs & moving the cups up & down.

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/hollyandmagoo/media/Birds/Toys/Toy2_zps6a703d77.jpg.html

#256393 - 08/22/14 11:50 PM Re: Best Toy Ever [Re: kevinmc2013]  
sunshine77 Offline
sunshine77  Offline

Where do you buy your bird supplies from?

#256394 - 08/23/14 12:00 AM Re: Best Toy Ever [Re: kevinmc2013]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Online stores are normally cheaper or directly from the manufacturer. Even sites like Amazon.com has good deals on food and toys. Toys and perches can be found on sites like this one.
http://www.birdsafestore.com/

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#256426 - 08/24/14 10:49 PM Re: Best Toy Ever [Re: kevinmc2013]  
bajarascal Offline
bajarascal  Offline

We buy our supplies treats, food and toys from www.mysafebirdstore.com not sure if that is the same store that BE2Cassie mentioned. The shipping is superfast and products fresh. Only having our M2 for 4 months though I've discovered that blocks of wood with bird safe dyes and cotton ribbons are her favorite things to entertain herself. I go to the yardage store and look for the strongest cotton ribbon. I use about a foot of ribbon, knot 3 or 4 tight knots in each end then triple knot the middle of the ribbon to a bar of her cage (that way the ribbon stays on the cage) then I tie a bow. She loves to try to undo those end knots. I check the knots regularly (I worry about her eating threads) so I knot them over and make several bows all over her cage and she loves pulling out the bows and rubbing the ribbon through her beak. I trim the ends if I see any threads hanging. When the ribbon starts looking tattered I just cut the whole thing off and start anew. I'll be experimenting on dyeing them with beets, blackberries, parsley and carrot for some bright safe colors.

#256503 - 08/27/14 07:36 PM Re: Best Toy Ever [Re: kevinmc2013]  
blackcapmom Offline
blackcapmom  Offline

New York, NY USA
Kevinmc,

I love the foraging aspect of your new toy! I had something made out of pc pipe and lucite for the Umbrella at the garden I volunteered at (her name was Chloe) that was similar in look, but all she could do is chew on it (not very satisfying) and bang it around (loved making that noise)! For foraging, I had to use other stuff (made quite a few things) and I found what I think is a really great toy place that made some very special things Chloe loved (toys to destroy and toys to preen). They kept her in a cage that was disturbingly small for her and I made sure she had things to occupy her between my visits. The dolls (especially the button doll!), the swags, the Chloe Fleece Preener, She loved these things. I didn't mind the cost in the least. I would have spent anything to make sure her days/nights were better. In case you wanted to check it out - I haven't bought from her since they closed the garden, but I think the woman who owns it is named Kathy and I think many of her toys are different from the usual: http://www.auniqueidea.com/

Shayne and Maya's mom - Julie
#257653 - 12/30/14 12:28 PM Re: Best Toy Ever [Re: kevinmc2013]  
hellococky Offline
hellococky  Offline

Victoria, Australia
I thought it looked familiar! I was checking out the bird toys at the parrot rescue centre on line store (in Australia) & saw your toy! I'm going to order it for my GSC2, since it's only $40, & since you gave it such a rave review, hope Sam likes it, more importantly hope it lasts!

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem
Cheers,
Tracy-Ann & Sam
#258471 - 05/27/15 02:04 AM Re: Best Toy Ever [Re: kevinmc2013]  
Chii_Nyx Offline
Chii_Nyx  Offline

We bought this toy last week at! I remembered your post and had to grab it smile. I haven't put it in my U2's cage yet since I purchased several things & am saving some for later. One of the other things I got was a foraging wheel. It looks like an enclosed ferris wheel that they have to rotate. I starting putting her pellets in that. So far I've noticed less pellets are thrown out and she's now eating the morsels that she used to leave behind.

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 05/27/15 01:00 PM. Reason: Please do not post names or links to stores that sell/breed

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny