Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 53 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254203 - 12/11/13 02:48 AM Species Specific diets for cockatiels ?  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
Anyone feed Pretty Bird species specific cockatiel? I've fed Lafeber's for years but am thinking of getting some of this as I'm fascinated by the 'species specific'. Good, not so good, didn't like it, pros, cons? Bother, don't bother? I've never fed this brand before. Thanks.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#254205 - 12/11/13 02:15 PM Re: Species Specific diets for cockatiels ? [Re: JackieBoy]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I tried it for about a year and saw no change is their overall health.

I used to feed Pretty Bird. A few years I got my usual load in. I would buy about 100 lbs. every 6 to 8 weeks because at that time I had almost 30 birds. I opened the first bag and it had a funny smell. It was a rancid smell. Open the 2nd bag same thing. Called the company I got it from and they told me to throw all bags out and they would send me another shipment. This time it smelled ok but the colors were not as bright as usual. The pellets I got were the large but all the pellets looked like they were broken. All I had were pieces. Called Pretty Bird and found that they had gotten new machinery and it wasn't producing the pellets properly. I recently looked at a bag and was surprised the pellets still didn't look right.

I switched to Zupreem Natural and all the birds dived right in. I added the Veggie and Nut pellets earlier this year and the birds like those too. I have been feeding Zupreem now for about 8 years and I am really pleased with it.

#254207 - 12/11/13 07:05 PM Re: Species Specific diets for cockatiels ? [Re: JackieBoy]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I didn't use the cockatiel mix but just want to add that I was buying the Pretty Bird mix for cockatoos and macaws. Initially when it first came out it looked really good. It did have sunflower seed but not over loaded and Cassie doesn't eat them anyway. After about a year of buying it they switched to loading it with sunflower and peanuts. The peanuts looked like they had mold so I stopped buying it and haven't gone back.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#254208 - 12/11/13 07:10 PM Re: Species Specific diets for cockatiels ? [Re: JackieBoy]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

I was referring to the species specific cockatiel pellets not the seed mixes, my fault. http://www.thatpetplace.com/species-specific-food-cockatiels-20lb

I'm trying to learn why the manufacturer states 'Formulated specifically for cockatiels'.

#254209 - 12/11/13 09:15 PM Re: Species Specific diets for cockatiels ? [Re: JackieBoy]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Yes I understood that. I was just stating that I had also run into a quality control problem as Elliot had. Because of it I will no longer buy any of their products.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#254216 - 12/12/13 09:31 AM Re: Species Specific diets for cockatiels ? [Re: JackieBoy]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

This is what I needed to find out and this flock here tells what they know. Thank you. I'm not going to go with PB. I'm going to go with Zupreem. I just don't want my small flock of tiels to have to abruptly change pelles if the Lafeber of many years dries up in my area in local shops -which it is starting to - and I'm going to 'sneak' in a second pellet over time and try to get them eating a mixture of two pellets so if the Lafeber becomes unavailable to me they already know and eat another one. Zupreem and PB are strong and have no sign of lack of sales in my area and the 'species specific' caught my eye, it's good marketing for sure though. Zupreem is everywhere and sells great so I'm going with it as I've heard no bad.

#254217 - 12/12/13 12:38 PM Re: Species Specific diets for cockatiels ? [Re: JackieBoy]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Cockatiels do need some seed in their diet IMHO. Giving them some millet sprays and add a little safflower based seed mix will make them happy.

When I had cockatiels they loved chopped hard-boiled egg, corn-on-the-cob, chopped leafy greens. They would fight me to get at the bowl when I gave it to them.

#254219 - 12/12/13 05:41 PM Re: Species Specific diets for cockatiels ? [Re: JackieBoy]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

I couldn't agree with you more. Cockatiels and little birds need seed. My tiels daily intake is 1/3 pellet, 1/3 seed mix and 1/3 fresh and cooked foods.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny