Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 32 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254016 - 11/28/13 04:19 AM Newbie with a 'too!  
Gus's mommy Offline
Gus's mommy  Offline

I'm a newbie at being u2 mommy. After having a cockatiel for 20 plus years. I just adopted a U2 4 days ago. His name is Gus. He has adjust well so far. I am able to handle him very well. However he has bit my husband twice the last time very hard. Gus has been clicking his beak and hides his head in the blankets and up against me. I thought he just liked me. Is that a sexual behavior. How can I help him to like my husband. Gus is 25 years old. He is under weight but is eating very well. The lady who had him was feeding him pizza and seeds. I feed him fruit Veg. And zupreem veg. Blend what would help him to gain weight. Also his feet are dry. Any info will be greatly appritated.

#254017 - 11/28/13 04:47 AM Re: Newbie with a 'too! [Re: Gus's mommy]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

I moved this into its own thread and in a different forum in hopes that you will receive better advice since it's just for you!

Please read a lot here, and search if you have questions -- there is so much great information that you can find!

I have a couple of thoughts:

1. 4 days is absolutely nothing. It takes months/years for them to really adjust. You need to slow way, way down. I know it's exciting when we add a new bird to the house, and we want them to love us and know we're good people, but think about it from Gus's perspective. He's 25, so odds are he's had at least 5 homes in his life. Possibly more. It's also very probably that he's been physically abused and neglected at some point. Why should he trust just any human? You and your husband are going to have to work at learning his body language and gaining his trust. You have found a great resource at mytoos, and if you stick around, read, and ask questions, we can help you to form a great relationship with him.

2. You definitely don't want him hanging out in blankets. You don't want to send him signals that you might be interested in mating with him. You're not a cockatoo and you can't meet his needs in that area, so the best bet is to avoid stimulating breeding behaviors/overbonding. This link may help: http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=184611#Post184611

3. As for how to help him like your husband -- it's a process, but you can definitely make progress! It's really important to learn his body language and to not put him in the position where he can bite. Your husband needs to be the bearer of good things -- is there a particular treat that he loves? (Be on the lookout for this -- what does he eat first? In my house, it's cashews.) We can answer better if we have more detail from you.

What was your husband doing when he got bit? Did Gus's behavior change at all?

As for the feet, did his avian vet say this? You don't want to put anything on their feet without being told to by your avian vet. Remember that this is what they use to eat, so you can end up poisoning him if you were to put lotion or something else on them. Why do you think his feet are dry?

Welcome to the world of cockatoos -- vastly different from that of tiels, but I'm happy that you found mytoos so early in your too relationship!

#254028 - 11/30/13 04:35 AM Re: Newbie with a 'too! [Re: Gus's mommy]  
birdladyofbarton Offline
birdladyofbarton  Offline

winston salem nc
read read read EVERYTHING here! Some is HARD to take......BUT even when you "think" not MY bird, he/she's different! you will be rushing back to read what did they say about THIS???? I have been in rescue for over 10 yrs, and a certified aviculturist NOTHING can prepare you for a life with TOO better than here, yes REALLY!

#254029 - 11/30/13 04:46 AM Re: Newbie with a 'too! [Re: Gus's mommy]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Being under-weight is from the poor diet he was on. Feeding a better diet of pellets, veggies, some fruits, will help. As for his dry feet...add a humidifier or a daily misting will help.

#254030 - 11/30/13 10:47 PM Re: Newbie with a 'too! [Re: Elliott]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
As a human, you already know things that will help add weight. Healthy, high calorie things. Sweet potatoes, cooked. Bananas. Naturally sweet juice such as apricot. Just think nutrient and calorie dense. Nuts in moderation only, please. God only knows what condition his liver is in after eating all those fatty seeds. Peanut butter (if at all) should only be from a large, well known company because they test for mold more extensively than small companies can afford to do. Peanut alfatoxins (mold toxins) can kill birds. Well cooked egg yolk. You may need to avoid too much protein, so I didn't say the egg whites, also. Ask your vet for suggestions. They may forbid any of the items I have mentioned. Corn is relatively high calorie, but not very nutrient dense.

I hope your cockatiel is well. Be sure to give her extra love. It is hard on a little birdie when a new, flashy bird takes your attention. No broken cockatiel hearts, please.

P.S. Eeek! I forgot to mention, NO Avocado or chocolate! They are toxic to birds.

Last edited by Birdfriend; 12/01/13 01:00 AM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#254031 - 12/01/13 05:26 AM Re: Newbie with a 'too! [Re: Gus's mommy]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
Welcome to the perch. smile

If you already have an avian veterinarian great if not please get one and make an appointment for your cockatoo and any cockatiel(s) you have.

An exam is not painful to any parrot and is just that, an examination. The vet will weigh the parrot, look at the eyes, nares (nostrils), ears, listen to the heart with a stethoscope, look at the vent, feet, legs, have the parrot grip onto fingers or perch on arm to determine strength, look at feathers and then review, do a history of the bird's current diet, care, caging and address any concerns you may have with the parrot's health. Ask the vet about the dry feet, the prior diet and the behavior.

Collaboration with a qualified, experienced avian veterinarian is the most important relationship you can have for the health of your parrot. It's very tough to provide online suggestions over suspected health concerns. Generalizatons are great and sometimes true but not always correct. Dry feet can be a reaction to dry heated indoor air in winter or the symptom of an interal med. issue, only a vet can tell.

Suspected emaciation alone is reason for a trip to the vet. Parrots can have diabetes and other metabolic issues also not just humans. Only a vet can give you solid answers. All we can do is give you general answers as pertains to care.

Since you are a newbie at being u2 mommy what you think is dry feet could be or not, what you think is underweight could be but the cause could not be from the prior diet, or could be, only a qualified, experienced avian veterinarian can determine all of this.

The dry skin could be from low humidity in your home or from a thyroid issue or both or dozens of other potential causes. The weight could be from being underfed or poorly fed before you or parasites from poor hygiene in a home prior to you, or both, as an age 25 cockatoo could have had many homes before you.

Please have your Too and any Tiel(s) examined by a vet. and let us know how it goes. smile

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#254047 - 12/03/13 06:16 AM Re: Newbie with a 'too! [Re: Beeps]  
Gus's mommy Offline
Gus's mommy  Offline

Thank-you for everyone's advice you have been so helpful. Gus is doing good. He is eating every well . I've moved his cage to a less active area. He seem to be happy with it he has more light and it is my favored room of our home. We had company yesterday he walked over to my friend and put his head on her arm. He is growing new feathers which are coming in very healthy. I have a new cage ordered for him the one he has is too small from what I have been reading. As for my cockatiel some one mentioned. His name was Sparky and he pass away from old age.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny