Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 43 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253893 - 11/16/13 09:18 AM Tiel's and Too's  
glstine Offline
glstine  Offline

Spring, TX
Since there is a subforum for tiels here, I am assuming many members have tiels and toos. I have both myself with a U2 (Pearl) being the newest addition. My tiels have really been stressed since Pearl has come to live with us. Pearl doesn't seem to scream that much, but everytime she does the tiels panic. Unless they are on someone's shoulder (or head or hand).

Plus, they aren't eating as much, which is the primary concern. I weigh them frequently to make sure they aren't losing weight.

I guess my question is do those of you that have both have you had the same problem? If so did it get better with time? I have noticed that, as long as it's not a really loud or high pitched scream, they aren't reacting as much.

And they are in separate rooms. Also, the tiel's are very spoiled and spend more time out of their cages than in them.

#253907 - 11/17/13 05:14 AM Re: Tiel's and Too's [Re: glstine]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
I've lived with and cared for tiels since 1988 and have always had a small flock of tiels. I only purchased my first tiel with all others taken in from people not wanting them anymore.

I've only fostered or bird sat cockatoos about twenty times for between 2 weeks and a few months since 1988 so I am by no means experienced in blending toos and tiels long term in the same home.

My tiels were terrified of the toos. I don't know if your tiels at some point will not be afraid of the Too.

I kept the guest too in a spare bedroom, and did allow the too out each day often twice a day, most even would take a hop skp flight down the hall and into the living area to a jungle jym suspened from the celing in my living area where I keep all my tiels. I spent many additional times each day in the room with the too out of cage but not out of room. My tiels while being frightened didn't become anorexic as I kept distance between them and the Too guest. My guess which I'll never know is that over time my tiels wouldn't be frighted with the Too guest at a distance and then I'd bring the Too closer and closer over time and the tiels would be fine, but this is just a guess on my part.

The tiels must be caged for sure and also the Too cannot land on a cage of tiels as they will amputate a tiels foot if they can get on the cage as they will try to reach through the bars and chomp at the tiel.

I only fostered a few toos over the years for rescue organizations when they had a crises overflow and they always gave me the 'best toos' with the least issues. I only bird sat for other true parrot people if they had a funeral to go to out of state or needed a break due to having a surgery.

Sorry I can't be of any real help to you but I do know most tiels are terrified of larger parrots in their home. I don't know if you can acclimate your too as non threatening to your tiels over time.

Since you are weighing your tiels does this mean they are not eating at all or eating less since the Too arrived? Survival eating is common in any frightened tiel. It's the fist thing that happens in my experience with tiels when they are frightened for any length of time - anorexia or barely eating - survival eating. Can you consult an experienced avian veterinarian about this?

You can keep the too caged and at a distance for a couple months and never permit the Too to be near the tiel cages. Maybe this will help the tiels to come out of 'I'm afraid' mode. I'd say keep as much distance between them as possible and let it this way for months to give the tiels a chance to acclimate to a very loud, very large parrot.

Also make sure when the tiels are out they don't have access to landing on the Toos cage. Amputations have happend when little birds land on any large birds cage.

Sorry I can't help you more. Good Luck.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny