Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253585 - 10/11/13 12:28 AM More Progress!  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Zeus is finally utilizing the entirety of his cage! Ever since I've brought him home he's been reluctant to play with toys or explore, preferring to sit on only one or two of his perches (one of the ropes and a cactus wood piece). Over the last couple days, I've caught him swinging on his swing, cuddling in his cuddly corner (which is on a corner platform), sitting on top of his cozy tent, AND playing with the toys inside of his cage! He's also been unusually affectionate, and has been talking up a storm.

It's great to see him so content, but it seems that whenever he happens to be happy, something's going on with Monty, hahah! Hormones are hitting hard this year.

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#253586 - 10/11/13 11:33 PM Re: More Progress! [Re: AJMontyBird]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Great update!
We've got hormones here as well, groan frown

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#253587 - 10/12/13 12:13 AM Re: More Progress! [Re: AJMontyBird]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
He is swinging on his swing! Great! I've only ever had three tiels, two males and one hen swinging on swings. I've tried the standard plastic, rope swings both round ones and U shaped, sisal swings, natural perch swings and many others. I've place them over the years near perches, from the top of cage, just everywhere. The tiels that do swing love it. The others won't even perch on the swing and may be missing out.

What kind of swing and where is it placed in the cage for Zeus? This may help me with getting my tiels swinging. Sounds like a content tiel for sure. smile

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#253588 - 10/12/13 04:09 AM Re: More Progress! [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
His swing is a manzanita stick suspended by a pair of soft cotton ropes. It looks a bit like a triangle, and I have it placed dead centre in his cage. It's surrounded by several levels of rope perches, and when he wants to go on his swing he hooks one end with his beak, pulls it toward him, and then steps on. It took him months to even go near it, let alone on it!

Search "Pink Parrot Manzanita Swing" under Google Images. It'll be the first pic - I'd post a link, but it's not necessarily agenda-friendly (A friend bought it for me) smile

Last edited by AJMontyBird; 10/12/13 04:13 AM.

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#253589 - 10/12/13 12:35 PM Re: More Progress! [Re: AJMontyBird]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
I'm going to try several levels of rope perches around the swing. Gotta give em a chance to see if they want to swing! Thanks.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#253643 - 10/19/13 04:23 AM Re: More Progress! [Re: AJMontyBird]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Very cute! My caiques both love their swings, and even though I see it nearly every day, for some reason it just melts my heart. So glad you got to experience it!

#253686 - 10/25/13 09:54 PM Re: More Progress! [Re: AJMontyBird]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Every budgie I've ever had loved the swing, and one got so he would get it swinging hard, then turn somersaults.. (okay, I did reinforce that with frequent bribes.). When my room-mate got one, my bird taught hers how to do that. It was fun to watch the older bird move v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y, demonstrating how to do the somersault, hanging onto the nearest bars with his beak at first, then teaching him to transfer the skill from a stationary perch to a swing.
I've made a dozen or so swings for Bill & Phred, and neither of them want anything to do with them, unless there's a "find-stuff" toy involved. Even then, they get the goodies and hop off that swing eagerly. For some reason, it's okay for a tree branch to move a bit (all our "playtrees" are branches) but not a piece of stick supported by ropes. . .unless it is over 4 feet long. Gotta have standards, you know.

Last edited by jm47; 10/25/13 10:00 PM.

Jody

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny