Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253670 - 10/23/13 07:12 PM Switching Pellets Soon  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
My local Dry Goods for Animals is soon going out of business after almost two generations, a great mom and pops store never having sold any live animals but selling everything needed to care for them. I really don't want to do mail order as I have to be at home to sign and always end up missing the UPS man if all I do is go to the lobby for my mail.

I started in the late 80's with Lafeber pellets as they were here, I didn't have to mail order, the store sold a ton so always fresh, and my tiels took to them even the seed only tiels I took in soon enough ate them. So now I have to figure out which pellet or extruded diet to slowly over months get them on. The only other shop not selling any live animals at all which is close enough has Kaytee exact which I won't buy Kaytee due to their breeding parrots, Pretty Bird both original and Natural Gold which has no artificial dye or fragrance, Pretty Bird species specific cockatiel which intrigues me, Tropican in all formulas which I think is made by Hagan and that's it. They sell very much of all they sell and it's always fresh in off the truck.

So, out of what I can buy locally which one of them would be easier to get my flock of tiels onto? I'm doing this over much time of course and bought alot of the Lafeber's pellets which they have known for years. They all eat either the cockatiel size or the budgie size pellets equally fine. None of what I can buy locally is a pellet, all being little round disks or balls but I have a flock effect of 'monkey see, monkey do'.

I never kept up with pellets and extruded diet over the years as I just always bought what was local and fresh and sticked to what the birds ate and did so well on. Without needing a reason to change all these years never bothered to look into all the other pellets.

I just want the most smooth transition to the new pellet and would rather buy locally than mail order as half the time I end up missing UPS and it gets shipped back after two tries but if what I have available would be too rough a transition I'll just have to learn to wait on the UPS man.

My small flock of tiels eats daily 1/3 pellet, 1/3 organic seed mix, 1/3 fresh and cooked food.

Thank you.

#253671 - 10/23/13 08:27 PM Re: Switching Pellets Soon [Re: JackieBoy]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Two avian vets in our area, New Orleans, carry a selection of bird diets. We use Harrisons. You might want to check with vets if you have any close enough.

I think you have to tell UPS but they drop stuff at our house. If no one is home they leave it by the front door. I think at one time we had to sign up for that option. Something you might want to check on.

Good luck, I sure hate to hear of good stores shutting down. frown

#253738 - 10/29/13 01:27 PM Re: Switching Pellets Soon [Re: JackieBoy]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
My vet unfortunately doesn't sell diets and doesn't seem to want to direct to any specific pellet stating all the commercial pellets are good.

UPS has told me many times in regards to leaving a package without signature it's up to the driver's discretion. Both my home in PA and NY are in high foot traffic areas and none leave packages outside the door as the risk of theft is too great. It's always Murphy's law that the minute I step out for one minute I miss my package and get a try you again tomorrow slip.

I just found a mail order place offering USPS shipping to a P.O. BOX, many will not, so I'm good now as I can buy them their pellets and go to my post office to pick them up and don't have to switch them now.

I also hate to hear of good stores closing as they cannot compete with big box stores and mail order. I really miss the days of going to the butcher for my meats, going to the produce market for all my produce and going to a mom and pops store for my bird food, cages and toys. This family knew me by name, knew my birds, knew my purchasing habits and for over 20 years were kinda, sorta, like a family when it came to my birds. I'm going to miss the personal touch. It's like losing family. The community is decorating their store and throwing them a party before they close with cake, ice cream, sandwiches and letting them know we appreciate their years of service to the community.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#253739 - 10/29/13 05:24 PM Re: Switching Pellets Soon [Re: JackieBoy]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I'm glad you are finding a solution. We use mainly Harrisons for a base but offer other type of pellets as well, just for variety.

I have also noticed, over time, that mail order prices are increasing at hefty rates as the small stores are eliminated. It's a sad time for small business.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny