Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 51 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253162 - 09/06/13 01:13 PM Veterinary Care  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I posted this in the Philosophy forum due to the percentage of households with birds that do not obtain veterinary care.

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/130915a.aspx#.UiiExbaiGPg.facebook

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#253173 - 09/07/13 05:23 PM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
Dmr1414 Offline
Dmr1414  Offline

FL
I have to say I am partially guilty. She definately gets there when something looks odd. My U2 gets the vet care but I am not consistent with making it yearly. The main reason is because she gets carsick and I have to chase her all over the house to get her in the carrier. I hate to have to towel her but there is no other way. Next month I am going on vacation and she is going to the AV for boarding, so at the same time I will have all her tests and stuff she needs done while she is there. She will not be happy with me and it will cost a small fortune doing it all in one shot, but I would rather do it all than have her throwing up and stressed from the whole ordeal.

#253174 - 09/07/13 05:49 PM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: Dmr1414]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Off topic but important. Carsickness can be overcome by taking short rides in the carrier periodically. It also gets them to looking forward to the carrier if they are going somewhere, besides the vet. It took three years here but we have very little carsickness and she hops in her carrier. smile

#253175 - 09/07/13 09:54 PM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cassie used to stress in the car also. I started taking her out in the carrier to places she found fun like Lowes and the town common concerts. She now can go for rides to my sisters an hour and a half away without issues.
I get quite a few calls from people looking for a bird sitter that have never taken their birds to a vet. Some of them become upset that I won't board without a health certificate. Most of them do take their birds to the vet for a well bird visit once they realize that no one will board without it.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#253188 - 09/10/13 02:09 AM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
Dmr1414 Offline
Dmr1414  Offline

FL
Normally I am never "pet less" so this is the first time it has ever been an issue. I normally would have someone come in and spend a few hours a day with Sebastian, and the dog always comes with me. I always had a sitter stay at the house with both if I could not take the dog. This trip is a gift from my sister and we are going to the Bahamas for four days so I figure the safest place for the her is at the AV and the dog will be boarded as well. I have emergency contacts lined up too. I think I have everything covered.

She doesn't do well outside at public places. She has always been very skid-dish around new people. I can take her out on the screened porch and around the house, but that is about as far as I go. I'm afraid she will spook hurt herself.

Charlie I WISH she would go in her carrier without a hassle and just hop right in. She won't have any part of it. She runs away from the AV too. They always laugh at her behavior. What you said though about taking her on short rides makes sense though. I have been thinking about getting a second cage to have at my mom's when I go and visit.. Maybe I should do that and get her more acclimated to the car.

#253191 - 09/10/13 05:32 PM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Another thought would be to get her a different carrier, one that you use only for fun. When I first got Cassie her Pak-O-Bird I used it only for fun trips and kept the other carrier for the vet. If Sebastian likes your Mom you could play it up when going to visit. Tell her she's going to Grandmas and be sure to make a big deal of it when you get there. Cassie is very shy of new people and is terrified of children. Taking her to Lowes has improved her ability to cope with new people. Taking her to the concerts on the common has been a huge boost for her. The concerts are always crowded with lots of children. She loves music so enjoys the trip. I always ask people to keep their children back at least 5-6 feet from her and explain why. Most folks are very understanding. And once she starts saying hi the kids are too. Cassie also goes to visit my sister and her family. She gets very excited now when I tell her we are going to Auntie Jane's house. The more positive you make it the easier it is on the birds.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#253199 - 09/12/13 06:22 PM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
Dmr1414 Offline
Dmr1414  Offline

FL
I will have to check that out (pak-o-bird). Ideally I would love to take her when I go visit my family for the weekend because the dog always goes and I have a friend look in on her and she will read or watch TV and talk to her. She is never really left alone. She knows my mom is Grandma and actually loves when my mom comes out to visit (grandma gives more treats than I do I guess).

She does great when I am walking around in the house on the porch, what she considers "safe" I guess. The second she is in a new area I can feel her grip tense up and I know she is going to bolt. For this reason I guess, I don't take her out in public places. I am too afraid of her getting hurt. (this of course was only reinforced again on Sunday when a bird flew into my car while driving on the interstate).

Can I ask another question? How do you get them to play? I buy all sorts of toys and gadgets. Some are popular and destroyed/shredded, others I think she is waiting to see me play with them, which I do but she doesn't join. I think I am her big toy.

Was the site down for maintenance recently? I have tried to get on so read posts and this is the first day since our last post that I could get on.

#253200 - 09/12/13 09:50 PM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
The site was down for a day.
I never take Cassie out without her being in a carrier. She is fully flighted. As a matter of fact Cassie was fully flighted with a severe clip, just took a bit more effort on her part.
When I first started taking Cassie out she was very nervous too. I constantly told her she was ok. I would walk around the store saying hi to everyone. Now when I take her out she says hi nonstop to everyone and everything. She is still a little nervous at times in unfamiliar places but some reassurance keeps her calm.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#253224 - 09/14/13 03:45 PM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
Dmr1414 Offline
Dmr1414  Offline

FL
I had a chance to go to the Pak-o-bird site. Very cool idea! I can't swing one right now but this is definitely going on my wish list. Maybe by Christmas.. I am leery because I have bought play stands and other expensive things for her in the past only to find she either has no interest or is afraid of it. I end up selling or giving it away. She prefers sitting on top of my china cabinet to the play stand so I have it protected with an old tablecloth. This carrier though would be a lot better than what I am using now, I just have to work it into my budget to be able to get it. I see that they make one specially for U2's. Do you think there is that big of a difference between the ML and the standard medium? My U2 is the escape artist so I would want the best one for her.
Thanks for the idea!

#253593 - 10/13/13 03:31 PM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: Dmr1414]  
Dmr1414 Offline
Dmr1414  Offline

FL
Quick question on this topic. Sebastian is going to be boarded at the AV while I am on vacation next week. I have scheduled her to have a complete work up while she is there (CBC, fecal, etc). I think it will run about $300 plus her boarding. They are supplying the cage for her, but other than bringing her food, (they suggested no toys) is there anything else I may be missing as far as her testing goes? I want to make sure she is getting everything while she is there.

#253595 - 10/13/13 05:40 PM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Depending on when the last time was she had a workup, what about a chemistry panel, disease testing and cultures?

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#253596 - 10/13/13 08:23 PM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
A couple of things to keep in mind is how Sebastian sleeps. Does he use a specific colored cover at night, a special perch or a certain item he has with him. For instance Cassie will not go to sleep if she doesn't have her "brown" sheet over her cage and now she must have her fleece strips. It took me months to find a replacement sheet in the same shade of brown!

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#253598 - 10/14/13 01:04 AM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Dmr1414 Offline
Dmr1414  Offline

FL
Thanks. Both are great suggestions. I will find out more what their complete work up consists of. I will get her checked out.

As for the bringing her cage cover, thanks! I did not think of that. I bought her a cozy cover in navy that she loves. I made a PVC frame that the cover goes over so she cannot chew it.

#254683 - 01/23/14 11:35 PM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
Casey&Casper Offline
Casey&Casper  Offline

Originally Posted By: EchosMom
I posted this in the Philosophy forum due to the percentage of households with birds that do not obtain veterinary care.

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/130915a.aspx#.UiiExbaiGPg.facebook

Availability is a serious problem in my area. The nearest avian vet is 1.5 hours away and she just opened up shop in mid-January. Before that, the nearest was 4.5 hours away (one-way) at a university and one must schedule them far in advance for non-emergencies. In this area when a bird is injured or ill, they end up at the single small-animal vet that will see birds. That vet cannot draw blood, etc. for wellness visits. The best he can do is prescribe antibiotics, splint a wing, etc.

I was shocked at how few veterinarians even see birds, much less are skilled in treating them.

#254685 - 01/24/14 12:32 AM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
JackieBoy Offline
JackieBoy  Offline

University Park PA, Manhattan
If you have a first aid kit great! If not please buy one or get one together by buying all the items. Not having a nearby avian vet is even more reason to have a top of the line, inclusive, first aid kit and a good parrot first aid DVD and book. Even with the best homes and people life can happen.

The Heavens Created Birds, then man created cages, shame on man.

#254688 - 01/24/14 01:44 AM Re: Veterinary Care [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Check this site you may find one closer to you.
http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, Charlie, EchosMom, Janny