Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253041 - 08/26/13 08:21 AM Here We Go Again...  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
I came across a family looking to re-home a special needs cockatiel, and I can't get the little fella out of my head. He's missing part of his left wing and has only one toe, injuries inflicted while he was still in the nest. Due to his high maintenance nature, even if any local shelters had room they probably wouldn't take him. After a chat with his Mom, the reason that they're looking for a new home is because another rescue 'tiel - an older girl that's mostly blind - is causing him some serious stress.

What do I do? frown

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#253043 - 08/26/13 06:20 PM Re: Here We Go Again... [Re: AJMontyBird]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
That's a tough one. Do you know anyone that would be able to take him in and give him a good home? They are such sweet little guys.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#253044 - 08/26/13 08:56 PM Re: Here We Go Again... [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Not anyone that I can think of off the top of my head, no... but I'll ask around and see if anyone can take him in. I'm pretty much at capacity, here, and I don't want to rock the boat too much!

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#253045 - 08/27/13 02:53 AM Re: Here We Go Again... [Re: AJMontyBird]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
If the wing is injured, it probably means the end of flight and the toe should not be a terrible impediment. Many birds live normal lives without a number of toes. Although considered a "special needs" bird, I would bet that he would be a great companion for many people. The fact that he may not be able to fly should make many more homes available because it is easier for the human!

I agree, these little guys are absolutely great companions and I hope he finds a home because he could live a very long time and it would be great if he had a "flock", even if it's one!

#253046 - 08/27/13 03:00 AM Re: Here We Go Again... [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
You misunderstand, Charlie - he only HAS one toe! The other seven were bitten off when he was a chick, and he pretty much just has stumps for legs. He can't perch and requires platforms to sit on. And since he could really hurt himself if he got too high and fell down onto a lower level, he needs a low cage with a single layer of perches, or something to that effect.

I'll think on it for a bit. I'm sure I could find the room and time for him if it comes to that, even if it may not be a permanent home.

#253047 - 08/27/13 12:19 PM Re: Here We Go Again... [Re: AJMontyBird]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
If he is getting around on his own, then the cage setup is the only hurdle IMHO. A low cage like hamster cage would be good.

While at the zoo, we had a macaw that lost both feet I believe and she went on fine with breeding and life. What we did was use 2 by 4's set wide side up and covered them with cotton batting and covered that with "Vet Wrap". If you are unfamiliar with Vet Wrap, it's that stretchy bandage that is used on horses or animals. It clings to itself. I use on perches and the birds tend to leave it alone. I found it at farm supply stores. Lot cheaper than getting it from the local drug store.

Good luck on your decision and this little guy.

#253073 - 08/31/13 01:39 AM Re: Here We Go Again... [Re: AJMontyBird]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Poor little guy. Sometimes these birds do just fine with the right setup and since he has been like this for life its his "normal" if you know what I mean. Given the means these little guys adapt fairly well. Good luck.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny