Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 9 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253019 - 08/25/13 04:00 AM Mirror Obsession and Q  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Last week, I spent a couple days in Vancouver. I brought Monty with me and left the rest of my furry, feathered, and finned friends at home with a sitter. I came back, and Zeus was behaving positively bizarre. He was clinging to the side of his cage, between his feeder cups, and wouldn't move. When I offered him my hand, he hissed, lunged, and beat his wings! This is something he has NEVER done before. I thought it was maybe the beginnings of cage aggression, or hormones, or both, so I let him be and put him to bed. The next morning, he was in the exact same spot and reacted the exact same way! This time, I somewhat forcefully took him out of his cage and put him on his stand. He seemed to snap out of it for a bit, but after awhile he kept hopping back to his cage to sit at the exact same spot, this time on the outside. I was really quite baffled. He appeared to be in perfectly good health: bright eyes, clean nares, neat feathers, and he was still eating as heartily as ever!

Today, a couple days after this behaviour began, I sat down on the couch and observed him. He appeared to be looking at something, and was mumbling. I came a bit closer, and suddenly it hit me: his feeder cups are metal! He was sitting with his "buddy!" Usually he has the TV or Radio on at all times, and is frequently visited by members of the household. While we were gone, he must have clung to his reflection to keep him company. After removing his cups and covering the outer surfaces with opaque tape, Zeus was immediately back to being Mama's little boy, and was once again more than happy to receive scritches and venture away from his cage.

I'm glad I was able to deduce the cause of the problem, but I do have a question: would it be beneficial to get him a companion (of the same sex), or should I leave that alone?

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#253037 - 08/26/13 12:44 AM Re: Mirror Obsession and Q [Re: AJMontyBird]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Along with Chucki, we have a Cockatiel. I should say my wife has a cockatiel even though I'm the one that brought him home. Now he would just as soon take my finger off.

Anyway, my daughter often brings her Cockatiel to the lake house when she comes to visit for a weekend. Our bully won't leave her's alone. If ours is out of his cage, he is usually trying to get into the other Tiels cage.

My vote is too leave it alone as you have no way of knowing how a relationship is going to go. Give him plenty of things to do, play with him a bit every day, and you should be good.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#253038 - 08/26/13 12:50 AM Re: Mirror Obsession and Q [Re: AJMontyBird]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Along with Chucki, we have a Cockatiel. I should say my wife has a cockatiel even though I'm the one that brought him home. Now he would just as soon take my finger off.

Anyway, my daughter often brings her Cockatiel to the lake house when she comes to visit for a weekend. Our bully won't leave her's alone. If ours is out of his cage, he is usually trying to get into the other Tiels cage.

My vote is too leave it alone as you have no way of knowing how a relationship is going to go. Give him plenty of things to do, play with him a bit every day, and you should be good.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#253040 - 08/26/13 05:20 AM Re: Mirror Obsession and Q [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Thanks Mark - I'm just awful worried about my boy. He took me leaving for a few days pretty hard, and still isn't very happy with me. Looks like I might be investing in a little travel cage for him!

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny