Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 62 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#252010 - 05/16/13 12:05 PM India set to become as bad as the US  
Psittacologist Offline
Psittacologist  Offline

Bangalore
http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/fQ7lv1wAemiudmfbb9ppiI/Going-cuckoo-over-cockatoos.html

Mass Parrot breeding for profit is spreading like a virus in India. Hope the authorities act in time.

#252015 - 05/16/13 03:58 PM Re: India set to become as bad as the US [Re: Psittacologist]  
oliscot Offline
oliscot  Offline

Queensland, Australia
Gawd how depressing. Getting exotics as status symbols - how sickening!! WHat can you do though?? I rekon properly regulating the sale and keeping of animals take to much effort and money for the authorities to make a serious attempt at trying to control the problem frown

The only hope for those poor aniomals that I can see at the moment is education. Lets hope there are people out there speaking out and informing everyone they can about the difficulties of keeeping exotic pets and the amount of suffering that occurs when someone gets an animal they have no clue about. Its not enough, but its a start I suppose.

#252016 - 05/16/13 05:14 PM Re: India set to become as bad as the US [Re: oliscot]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
It was inevitable and we still have China and Korea which are sure to follow suite. It is a symptom of developing countries, a desire to flaunt the new prosperity that is in early development. Breeding and selling will be increasing exponentially until they wake up like us in the United States. So very sad for all these long lived, intelligent animals that will exist, not live, in the most hideous conditions. It makes me sick to think about.

#252035 - 05/17/13 05:13 PM Re: India set to become as bad as the US [Re: Charlie]  
Psittacologist Offline
Psittacologist  Offline

Bangalore
Originally Posted By: Charlie
It was inevitable and we still have China and Korea which are sure to follow suite. It is a symptom of developing countries, a desire to flaunt the new prosperity that is in early development. Breeding and selling will be increasing exponentially until they wake up like us in the United States. So very sad for all these long lived, intelligent animals that will exist, not live, in the most hideous conditions. It makes me sick to think about.

I think China has leaped ahead of India long ago and may have even crossed the US. I remember an interesting article where I read that after realizing the disastrous effect of the wild bird trade on the Fisher's lovebird wild populations in Tanzania, they declared a moratorium for a certain period- probably 5 or 10 years after which they had planned to start a sustainable trade for supporting the local economy. But within a few years China was already mass breeding these birds at a much cheaper rate than Tanzania could afford to export.

I neither endorse the wild bird trade nor captive breeding, but this made interesting reading. A large portion of captive bred birds in countries like Malaysia come from Chinese imports.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny