Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ezra), 74 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25100 - 03/28/05 03:42 AM 'Too news from down under  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Farmer told he can kill one bird a day
DARRELL GILES political editor
27mar05

A FARMER whose grain crops are being destroyed by thousands of birds has been told he can kill just one a day.

Glen Steinhardt, of Murgon, applied to the State Government for a damage mitigation permit after plague proportions of lorikeets and cockatoos took a fancy to his crops.

The Environmental Protection Agency ruled that the farmer could cull 87 birds over 85 days.

The member for Nanango, Dorothy Pratt, told Parliament this week that drought conditions had led to huge numbers of birds going from seed head to seed head.

"When bird fright and other alternative methods have failed, how can a grower be expected to protect his crop when restricted to one bird per day?" Mrs Pratt said.

The Independent MP asked Environment Minister Desley Boyle if the one-bird-per-day limit was just a token gesture, with "no real desire" by the department to help the grower. Mrs Pratt said the farmer, who asked not to be identified, estimated more than 5000 birds attacked his sorghum and wheat every day.

"Bird fright does not really move them on," she said. "He is allowed to shoot one bird a day . . . it is a bit ironic, when he stands there and watches trucks pass by on the highway and kill 30 to 60 birds in one strike."

Mrs Pratt said the truckies would never be prosecuted, but the grower faced stiff penalties if he exceeded the permit limit.

"He is losing thousands of dollars every day, but the Government is not about to pay him any compensation."

The grower accepted that lorikeets and cockatoos were protected native wildlife, but desperately needed help.

"The EPA is obviously out of touch . . . it just shows the lack of knowledge of the rural industry. Where is the logic?" Mrs Pratt said.

Ms Boyle told Parliament she would investigate the matter.

Mr Steinhardt said killing his quota of 87 at once would take minutes and would not solve the problem.

#25101 - 03/28/05 05:18 AM Re: 'Too news from down under  
kimforster Offline
kimforster  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
People really do need to understand the plague proportions these birds are in here in Australia. It's very bad....

#25102 - 03/30/05 05:08 PM Re: 'Too news from down under  
MyGino Offline
MyGino  Offline

Atlanta
How are TOOS Native to Australia ?

#25103 - 03/30/05 05:15 PM Re: 'Too news from down under  
wildirish Offline
Lives Here
wildirish  Offline
Lives Here

NC
As far as I have read most Toos are native to Aust. and New Zealand, I am sure there are more places where they are "originally" from, but can't think of any right now.

I know on another board there are a few people from Aussie and have posted pix of 100's of RB2 and U2, And also SC2 just all over thier yards, it's an amazing site for those of us in the USA where they are not wild, but can imagine the destruction. Some have had to put wire and stuff on the houses to stop the chewing.

#25104 - 03/30/05 06:17 PM Re: 'Too news from down under  
Julz Offline
Lives Here
Julz  Offline
Lives Here

From what I have read the Mollucan Cockatoos are from the Indoniesian Islands of Molluccan (I believe the Umbrellas are from there also!) These Islands are located NORTH of Australia towards Asia. My brother while in the Army (his job was to photograph pictures of remains of American soldiers found ALL OVER from WW2 and Vietnam). He was in the Indoniesian Islands and remembers HUGE flocks of pink birds (Molluccan) and also the Umbrella's. He say he remembers the sounds to be almost deafening!

#25105 - 03/31/05 04:34 AM Re: 'Too news from down under  
kimforster Offline
kimforster  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
Yes too's are native to Australia & are extremely destructive. Once they've finished on your crop they'll start on your yard & house. They rip apart every tree you have also. Thye're out of hand in some places but they can't do anything about it because they're not aloud to. I know you people probably think they beautiful creatures & how could we want to destroy them but just try & think of a pest you have that destroys things, everything! Too's are no different here...& yes farmers have them as pets too. They don't just come & eat what they need. They destroy everything in there path because that's their nature.

#25106 - 03/31/05 08:02 AM Re: 'Too news from down under  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Here is a site that will tell where the major cockatoos come from:

http://www.tasweb.com.au/bapa/s-cock.htm

#25107 - 04/01/05 08:52 AM Re: 'Too news from down under  
Tora Offline
Tora  Offline

Australia
I was passing through Dubbo a few years back and was frustrated to see packs of Galahs flying accross the road. They were everywhere, and kept getting hit by trucks- nothing you could do. We pulled over where there were three dead ones, but one was alive. Took him to Dubbo Zoo but they had to put the little one down (internal damage). frown
There wern't plagues of toos here before Oz was settled by the Europeans. Since it was settled more water and food was provided via cattle watering points and crops, and bingo: population explosion. Sad frown

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny