Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 70 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#242089 - 02/06/12 10:30 PM THANKS!  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
For some time now, I have had an alarming feeling about this message board. It seemed, at least to me, that most all questions and concerns were being answered by the Moderators. I am certainly not complaining about the Moderators! I am very proud of each and every one of them, they are very knowledgeable. I won't get into all their backgrounds but it is impressive. The lack of general membership participation is what was most concerning to me. One does not have to be an expert to share their knowledge of bird keeping.

If you have had birds for many years and have found things that work, do not be afraid to share! If you have learned things here at Mytoos, do not be afraid to point new members in the right direction. You do not have to wait for a Moderator. If you screw up, it will probably be pointed out, as it should be, but there is no GOOD reason for you not to share and help others.

The last week I have noticed others chiming in and to those members, the whole staff wants to thank you. This whole board is about helping others and there is no reason why everyone cannot participate. This is your board, be proud to be a member and don't "hide your light under a bushel"!

#242100 - 02/07/12 03:39 AM Re: THANKS! [Re: Charlie]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
I'm trying, Charlie!
And about "hiding one's light under a bushel" some years ago, my "picture mind" or imagination took hold of the visual image of putting a lamp fueled by oil, with a wick, under a basket, and watched the result, which was NOT a pretty "mental video". . .don't try this at home!

Jody
#242162 - 02/09/12 10:52 PM Re: THANKS! [Re: Charlie]  
Volk Offline
Volk  Offline

Wisconsin
This little light of mine.. I'm gonna let it shine! hehe

Honestly the best part about the education mytoos can provide is being able to ensure the best possible care for the masters of our homes. Followed closely on that list by being able to network and spread information to people who are still in the dark.

I would also like to mention that I discovered MyToos via the avian rescue I adopted Aussi from. The wouldn't even let me fill out an application until I visited MyToos.com. And then, after I filled out the adoption application they made me take a quiz to prove I retained the knowledge absorbed, or at least a good chunk of it. Before coming to this site I was thinking.. a quiz? Seriously?? After reading just the home page here, the reason for the quiz became instantly obvious.

A BIG Thank You right back Charlie!

-Dani&Fi

#242187 - 02/11/12 12:40 AM Re: THANKS! [Re: Volk]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Originally Posted By: Volk

I would also like to mention that I discovered MyToos via the avian rescue I adopted Aussi from. The wouldn't even let me fill out an application until I visited MyToos.com. And then, after I filled out the adoption application they made me take a quiz to prove I retained the knowledge absorbed, or at least a good chunk of it. Before coming to this site I was thinking.. a quiz? Seriously?? After reading just the home page here, the reason for the quiz became instantly obvious.

A BIG Thank You right back Charlie!

Dani&Fi

This is great news! What a good thing to hear!

Jody
#242548 - 02/23/12 05:45 PM Re: THANKS! [Re: Charlie]  
PJsMom Offline
Lives Here
PJsMom  Offline
Lives Here

California
And I thought because I was a new member that I was commenting too much. I cant seem to help it. I love this site. Im learning so much. The recipes and toy ideas are fantastic, the diet and advice on emotional and physical health is without par! Thank you. All of you!

PJ owns 2 adults, 1 Grandma and everybody else is his playtoys.
#242551 - 02/23/12 08:14 PM Re: THANKS! [Re: PJsMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
The popularity and strength of this website is a direct reflection of the members, members just like YOU!

#250712 - 02/15/13 07:18 PM Re: THANKS! [Re: Charlie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I just wanted to bring this to the top again...I've noticed allot of members coming here just to have a question answered. I don't mind helping and I know all of our staff are here to help and assist in any way we can but it would be wonderful if our members came here to "pay it forward" also.

Mytoos isn't about the moderators and Admin. It's about ALL of you! We need your help helping feathered friends everywhere. If you have a couple minutes to spare and come here to read...why not share what you have learned here. It's not hard. Every one of the staff here were members at one time and searched,asked and answered many questions before we were asked to be moderators or admin. As admin and moderators our purpose is actually to keep people playing by the rules and keeping people on track. I find many sit back and wait for us to answer and sometimes ( we all have lives and flocks) we don't have the time to come here except to do a quick check up but not enough time to give a good helping hand in response to people needing help....be mindful of this please and participate as much as you can. WE ALL appreciate it more than you know and it's wonderful to see our members helping each other!

I've noticed members fade away and come to update they are making great progress. I'm happy for you and your flocks but maybe....you could share your experiences and help other new people get there. wink

Thank you so much to those who do!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#250723 - 02/16/13 04:50 AM Re: THANKS! [Re: Charlie]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
You are right Janny. Im probably guilty 90 percent of the time. I always think I dont have good advice to share, because you guys are so much more experienced, but I guess I should share more often, because what I have realized is every cockatoo is different and maybe my crazy cockatoo might be like someone elses and they could benefit from what works for me, even if its different than what everyone else does. Will try to be more active in discussion in the future. Thanks though, for being there for all of us

#250729 - 02/16/13 03:55 PM Re: THANKS! [Re: Charlie]  
Dmr1414 Offline
Dmr1414  Offline

FL
I have been reading the posts and only answering a few things. I did not want to over step and someone else's idea would be better, but i guess thats why we are all here. I am not sure how long everyone has had their birds but it shows that there is a lot of experience which is why I stick around. I have mine since she was 3 and she will turn 17 next month. I feel like I am still learning new things.

#250733 - 02/16/13 06:17 PM Re: THANKS! [Re: Dmr1414]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I understand its intimidating to post a reply and possibly have something critiqued and we do try not too unless its something that's really going to set someone up badly with their cockatoo or the cockatoo is going to be put at risk. We may have to come in and give some helpful suggestions in place at times but...none of us are experts. All of us (including me I can admit it) learn every single day from everyone here. None of us know it all but we all have experiences that can help each other out. That's the best part of this group. It's not text book it's real life experiences that we have lived through and found ways to live with our flocks. That's the best part of the advice here!

Jan

#250740 - 02/16/13 11:24 PM Re: THANKS! [Re: Charlie]  
Dmr1414 Offline
Dmr1414  Offline

FL
I am enjoying the reading and other people's experiences. The longer I have my bird it seems like she is doing new things or changing, so this board has been pretty helpful. Textbooks are really of very little help compared to the real life experiences. (My AV says that my birds personality is crazy and very little textbook. His description of her is "entertaining.")

#250784 - 02/18/13 11:59 PM Re: THANKS! [Re: Dmr1414]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
It's soooo nice to see the participation increase! Thank you all!!!! Your an amazing group!

Jan

#250810 - 02/20/13 12:10 AM Re: THANKS! [Re: Charlie]  
Stephaniet Offline
Stephaniet  Offline

France
I enjoy reading this interesting forum and i'm very pleased to share and learn.

#250873 - 02/23/13 05:15 AM Re: THANKS! [Re: Charlie]  
Fluff'sMom Offline
Fluff'sMom  Offline

Tampa, FL
I am grateful for this thread. It's encouraging to me as a rookie member/U2 parent, that we all have value on the board. I will be honest, it was, is INTIMIDATING reading posts as a new person. I afraid of getting blasted for my rookie mistakes. I know I'll make them, and I need to know, but its scary. It's also nice to read that birds are not textbook, but that's a different forum page about my Fluff. Lol.

I want to be a good parent, that is my only motivation. A hapoy and healthy Too. There is so much good advice and I love that I found this virtual place to hang out. Now, feeling a little more welcome to join in on the discussion.
Thanks to all moderators and members.

*Parrot Love*
-L. J.

L. J. My flock; Val (wife), Pruey (AG), Fluff (U2), Kiana (U2), Skippy (Persian), & Kadie (Tortico)
#250875 - 02/23/13 01:56 PM Re: THANKS! [Re: Charlie]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
You will never be blasted for mistakes as long as you are willing to least to advice.

I believe we are ALL rookies here concerning our Toos. At least the ones that realize you never stop learning about cockatoos.

Everyone here is really great in their knowledge and willingness to help. Both with Toos and where to find info.

I've been here many years and never stop being amazed at what I can learn from everyone.

I wonder how many books it would take to contain all the knowledge here. I bet a dollar to a donut that it would be bigger than the Encyclopedia Britannica.

#250914 - 02/25/13 09:50 PM Re: THANKS! [Re: Charlie]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Can I get in this bet, too? Just the articles kept me very busy for a few days, and I read pretty fast. Then I started reading the POSTS! That was 8 or 9 years ago. . .

Jody

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny, Michael