Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 76 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#249942 - 12/27/12 01:39 AM beware reynolds oven bags!!!  
cocoluvbug Offline
cocoluvbug  Offline

wyoming
so i had the absolute worst christmas ever. my cockatoo, sun conure and parakeet all died yesterday due to my using a reynolds oven bag.there are no warnings or an ingredient list saying that these bags can be toxic to birds. needless to say i used one for christmas dinner and all of my birds(none of which were in the kitchen)died. we noticed our beloved cockatoo fighting for breath and did everything we could think of to help her, not knowing what was wrong. she died in my husbands arms. then my sun conure started doing the same thing and that is when we thought it had to be the oven bag. i took him outside to get him fresh air and again there was nothing i could do. within minutes he died in my arms. we decided to check on my sons parakeet who is in his room on the other side of the house and the poor little thing was dead.I have a little finch that has somehow survived. he was in my room with the door closed. we call him lucky.my husband and i were devastated and in pain. it will take a long time to get over this huge loss.i am posting this as a warning to all bird lovers. and please spread the word!!! i would hate for something like this to happen to another family. our birds are our life and we love them as much as our children. we have emailed reynolds company to let them know what happened and hopefully get some kind of warning label or even an ingredient list that says they contain teflon.

#249943 - 12/27/12 01:49 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I am very, very sorry for your loss.

I would highly suggest a necropsy be performed to determine the actual cause of death. As far as I am aware, cooking bags are made from heat resistant nylon, not Teflon? And Teflon is only lethal when it is over heated. Let us know what Reynold says please.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#249945 - 12/27/12 02:06 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I'm so very sorry.

#249946 - 12/27/12 02:37 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: Elliott]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
Awww. cry

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#249947 - 12/27/12 02:49 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
cocoluvbug Offline
cocoluvbug  Offline

wyoming
echosmom. we wanted to take the bird and get a necropsy but the closest place is a good two hours away. unfortunately we are unable to do that. we only know it was the bags becouse it is the only thing i did different and after they died we started doing research and found that these bags have been linked to the deaths of lots of family birds.

#249948 - 12/27/12 03:45 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
angelsmama Offline
angelsmama  Offline

memphis,tn
I also looked up the oven bags and the reynolds company says they are 98.5% aluminum. I work in pharmacy and I can't think of any ingrediant in the bags that would have caused your birds death. Not to say there might be somrthing we don't know of. However, it's a shame you can't get a necropsy on your birds . Are there any universary's near that have an avian vet department? Most times they'll do a necropsy for free. My worst nightmare would be for something to happen to Angel, my U2. I would loose it!! I'm so sorry for your loss. May God comfort you & your husband during this horrible time.

#249951 - 12/27/12 06:13 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
Sunflower Offline
Sunflower  Offline

I am so terribly sorry to hear this frown We don't use oven bags in my house, period. Never have. And after reading this I'm really glad that we don't. I don't think that I would ever be able to forgive myself if something like this ever happened to Krystal frown If this has happened to a lot of people who use Reynold's Oven bags, I'm surprised that someone hasn't sued them for not at least having a warning label on the packaging. A lot of people treat their pets like they're their children and I will be the first one to admit that our U2 is absolutely spoiled. I'm so sorry for you and your family frown

#249952 - 12/27/12 06:13 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: angelsmama]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I am so very sorry for your loss! It's absolutely heart breaking.

I am however worried there could be something else happening in your home though...could there be a carbon problem or something from your heat source or something. I worry for your own safety is why I ask. In case there is something that is still toxic in your home. I searched and found a couple responses to people who claimed to have concerns about the Reynolds cooking bags.

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding ReynoldsŪ Oven
Bags and ReynoldsŪ Hot BagsŪ Foil Bags.

Heat-resistant nylon resin is used in the manufacture
of Reynolds Oven Bags and ties. This resin is in
compliance with U.S. Food and Drug Administration
regulations, which govern the use of plastics in
oven cooking. Regulations permitting such use have
been in existence since the product was first
introduced over 30 years ago. We are aware of some
reports that products containing Teflon (PTFE) or
related fluorochemicals when heated may release
chemicals that are toxic to birds. Our oven bags do
not contain PTFE or related fluorochemicals.

Reynolds Hot Bags foil bags are 98.5% aluminum. The
balance is primarily iron and silicon. These are
added to give the strength and puncture resistance
obtained only in the alloy used in Reynolds household
foil. Reynolds Hot Bags foil bags contain no recycled
material and comply with U.S. Food and Drug
Administration requirements for direct contact with
food.

We know of no hazards to birds or other animals that
would occur during normal use of Reynolds Hot Bags
foil bags or Reynolds Oven Bags.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Mary Kathryn, Reynolds Consumer Response

I hope this helps...but please if you can have a necropsy done in case this is the reason or there could be another reason and you could be at risk your self and don't know yet.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#249954 - 12/27/12 06:51 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
A little reverse thinking.

What about the oven??
Had it not been used in awhile??
Is the oven self-cleaning?? And a long shot....was there a lot of cooking going on??

If you have a vent-a-hood, does it exhaust to the outside or just re-circulates the air from above the stove back into the kitchen?? I think doing a lot of cooking will raise the CO level somewhat in the house.

I was talking with a vent-free gas stove engineer and he suggest opening a window a bit the bring in some fresh air while using the stove.

#249955 - 12/27/12 07:12 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
angelsmama Offline
angelsmama  Offline

memphis,tn
Janny is right, and so is Elliot. It sounds like something else could be going on. PLEASE have your oven & home checked for CO levels ASAP!! It looks like others viewed the same website I did on reynolds cooking bags. I still have a feeling it has something to do w/either the bags or your stove. Please let us know if you find out anything. Once again, I'm so very sorry for your loss. This post will stay w/me for a long time. My husband & I don't have any kids, so Angel is our child & we treat her as such. God bless you & your family during this tragic time.

#249958 - 12/27/12 07:22 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
(((HUGS)))) I can just imagine, having lost one bird suddenly like this (not the cooking bag, but just finding her dead) what it must be like. Praying for you!

Jody
#249987 - 12/28/12 06:16 PM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
cocoluvbug Offline
cocoluvbug  Offline

wyoming
i use my oven all the time and it is not a self cleaning oven. i have also used the same pan multiple times and had no problems. i have no floor heater or electric heaters. i have a finch who was in my bedroom with the door closed who survived the whole thing. i also have carbon monoxide monitors in my home. the oven bag melted in my oven. my birds are dead. i wish i didnt live in podunk nowhere and i could get a necropsy done on my birds but i cant. all i know is after doing some research and talking to people i am not the first person this has happened to after using these bags.there is another incident on ****** website under health that mentions someone almost losing a bird to these bags. my cousins mom lost 2 birds when using the bag to make a turkey.and i used an oven bag not a foil bag.

Last edited by Janny; 12/29/12 12:32 AM. Reason: Removed link it had much reference to breeding birds.
#249990 - 12/28/12 08:37 PM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
angelsmama Offline
angelsmama  Offline

memphis,tn
After more research I found out these bags ARE DANGEROUS!! Too many birds have died from the fumes these bags emit. Once again, I'm so sorry for your loss.((HUGS))!!

#249998 - 12/29/12 12:37 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: angelsmama]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Well unfortunately the Reynolds company will have to have solid proof that it was the bags (reason for urging the necropsy)and they won't put warnings on the packaging until then frown . I understand not living close to an Avian Vet. I live two hours one way trip to our vets. They do often accept currier and some other shipping methods but I'm not sure how it's done. Chances are its too late now anyway.

Yes I am very sorry for your loss.

Jan

#250000 - 12/29/12 03:12 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
cocoluvbug Offline
cocoluvbug  Offline

wyoming
we still have not gotten a response back from the reynolds company. i am not expecting them to really do anything becouse i know they are going to want proof of some sort. they are not going to take the initiative and do tests on their bags. all i really want is to get the word out. tell everyone how unsafe these bags can be. maybe i used it wrong or maybe i got a bad batch but i just want everyone to know that they can be harmfull to your feathered children. i pray no one has to go through what i did on christmas morning. holding my babies and watching them take their last breath. i still have nightmares.

#250003 - 12/29/12 09:32 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I can't imagine the helpless feeling you felt and the pain. It's a tragic experience for sure. Make sure to take your time to grieve and heal your heart. You can't blame yourself. You didn't know. It's sad it ended this way. It has to be terribly painful.

Jan

#250005 - 12/29/12 05:03 PM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: Janny]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
I am just sick for you. I think all of us put ourselves in your place and think how we would feel. But, how could you have known. By your posting, all of us know now. Although it seems like the bags could be the only cause there is still a possibility it could be something else. I know one time I saw a warning in toaster ovens if anything touches the burning elements in the oven, it could cause very high temperatures to escalate out of control. Could the bags have touched any of the heating elements in your oven? It could also be what you were cooking reacting with the silicone or other elements in the bag. Nonetheless, my heart hurts for you.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#250008 - 12/29/12 09:47 PM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: RB2sMom]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
I found this chart, for everyone who swears teflon is reasonably safe:

http://www.ewg.org/files/infographic_thermometer.pdf

(The chart is from the Environmental Working Group files, ewg.org)

It mentions that lightbulbs coated with teflon are dangerous. I can't help but think of all the things besides the oven bag that could have been the source of this disaster. I believe the heat-shrink film that people use to insulate windows is dangerous (that stuff you install with a hair dryer). Perhaps the hair dryer was the real culprit in the story, but did anyone put up any window film? Any scented candles? "Glade" products? Fabreeze "fabric freshener" has killed birds. Any new appliances at all? Water cooler, toaster, kid's toy that heats in any way? E-Z Bake oven? Lots of things "out-gas" when used the first time. Paints or markers that you could smell? The little "tree" air fresheners in cars have killed birds. Irons and ironing board covers. The "crisping" cardboard for use in microwave convenience foods. Food warming lamps or "bathroom" infrared heat lamps?

I try to contact any manufacturer or catalog seller that puts a bird warning on their products to thank them.

I've found a curious little "baggie" that you use in a toaster to make "grilled-cheese" sandwiches or warm things like fries. Deadly little teflon coated sacks. There is a tiny warning on the back of the package. It is a generic, "It is well known that birds have sensitive respiratory systems and should not be kept in the kitchen." No product liability is implied. Kind of misses the mark, but I will praise them for the effort. "Gee, thanks. Perhaps you could make the warning bigger?"

Last edited by Birdfriend; 12/30/12 01:21 AM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#250010 - 12/30/12 06:33 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
angelinasmom Offline
Lives Here
angelinasmom  Offline
Lives Here

michigan
Oh God. the pain I know you are feeling right now is nothing like anything you have ever known. When I lost Charlie last year unexpectedly the pain was more than I thought I could bare. I cant even imagine losing more than one bird. My deepest sympathies go out to you and if i can do anything to help you, please have one of the mods contact you with my email. Once again I am so very sorry for your loss

#250012 - 12/30/12 07:12 AM Re: beware reynolds oven bags!!! [Re: cocoluvbug]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
I am so sorry! (((Hugs))) I cannot imagine the pain you must feel. Please do not blame your self. This was not your fault in any way.
Allow your heart to heal and I am sure there are other precious babies who could use a forever home.

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny