Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#249371 - 11/20/12 09:59 PM All about Feathers  
Mister Ed Offline
Mister Ed  Offline

British Columbia,Canada
Good afternoon, My G2, Wanda seemed to bemissing a feather above her right eye under the crest but showing a gap.

I checked her head and found the pin feathers to be quite abnormal, stiff and short. Then I noticed at the base of her crest a larger patch the same as above the eye.

When I first noticed the missing feather, I thought it was a fallen feather. Wanda allows me to rub her crest but sometimes jerks away as if it hurts.

I've started putting coconut oil on the patches. Wanda has no problems with this and appears to like it.

I thought I would contact the forum is case it'snotserious and is naturally occuring in G2's.

I will take Wanda to the vet if it is deemed necessary. She's a great part of my home and life.

She is 7 years old and went through a very cranky time last year but is now her loveable self.

Mister Ed Birds, Love'em.
#249374 - 11/21/12 12:20 AM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Mister Ed]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cassie has the same thing happen with some of her crest feathers when they are first coming in they are very still. They get softer as they grow out. She did go through a couple of very difficult molts where the feather shafts were too strong and were bothering her. The vet put her on meds to help make her more comfortable. I don't know that I would be using oil on her skin though with the exception of her feet.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#249375 - 11/21/12 04:50 AM Re: All about Feathers [Re: Mister Ed]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
You might want to check with an avian vet. One of those "can't hurt; might help" things. At very least, the vet could tell you if the coconut oil is safe. I use aloe gel in the bath water for my birds sometimes, but not oils or soaps. A tiny amount of vinegar seems to be okay, as well.

Jody
#249387 - 11/21/12 09:08 PM Re: All about Feathers [Re: jm47]  
Mister Ed Offline
Mister Ed  Offline

British Columbia,Canada
Thanks for the input. I have an appt with our Vet tomorrow. Wanda will be checked then a nail-do to make her happy.

I also have a beautiful Alexandrine, Joey, who was in Greyhaven for a while. He's been with us for 2 years and is
quite the gentleman. When he bites it is so gentle yet from the size of him you'd expect a major wound. Big beak small bite.

My Wanda had a shower this morning priortoher visit to the vet tomorrow and while trying to get her off the bed, she leaped on my shoulder and BIT my ear very hard, drawing blood and leaving a 3/8s of an inch slice. In a nanosecond, she was on my hand and showed no anger from the previous moment, Birds, love them, never leave them.

I'll check on the oil, I use unprocessed, extra virgin coconut oil.

Mister Ed Birds, Love'em.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny