Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#248541 - 10/12/12 07:29 PM Adopting a Moluccan?  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Its been a while; I hope all is well with forum members. Buddi and I are doing well.

I ran across an ad for a Moluccan for adpotion through a local rescue. I was not looking; it happen to be in my local paper along with dogs and cats.

I filled out an applcaiton and met him/her (never sexed) yesterday for the first time. The only information they have is that he/she is about 20 years old and they don't know how many homes he/she had been in. He/she has been in the foster home for a year and a half. He/she was adopted out once and brought back as the owner turned out to be allergic to the dust.

I know what you are thinking; probably brought back for behavioural issues. But I dont know. He/she is fully feathered so no plucking going on. Did not appear any more vocal (nearing sunset) than normal and was not vocalizing for attention when ignored.I know this as the foster mom has other birds and I spent an hour visiting withthem all and other fosters were screaming for my attention, but not the Moluccan.

And he/she seemed to like me...I fed him/her nuts by hand and he/she seemed genuinely interested in me. Not inhibited and not threatening.

I don't get it. How could such a well adjusted bird be in a foster home this long?

I assume that if 20 maybe he/she was wild caught and not a hand fed/imprinted bird? How else can we explain could how he/she could go through multiple homes and remain well adjusted and not a plucker?

Going back tomorrow and goal is to pet him/her.

Thoughts/comments?

Last edited by GregM; 10/12/12 07:31 PM.
#248542 - 10/12/12 09:44 PM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
A bird plucks for various reason (health related and psychological) some will,some won't. I have a wild caught that does have FDB and I have a captive raised that's been through hell and back that does not have a misplaced or chewed feather on his body. It depends on the bird and its threshold for stress. It doesn't even necessarily mean it has seen abuse in its life. Some birds have had the best caregiver and the best captive life it could have had and it may start to pluck,we have seen it here before. It depends on the individual.

Because its over 20 does not mean its wild caught. People have been breeding birds since before I was born and I'm not all that young.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#248549 - 10/13/12 02:57 AM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: Janny]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
I guess I should not assume all M2s have behavioral issues but its easy to do.

I tried to find some information online about their "normal" behavioral characteristics and found article after article outlining their known problems...as you know they are especially noisy and prone to pluck and self mutilate.

But what are their personalities like?

Is it correct to assume that an M2 that was surrendered, has been with fosters for 1.5 years, was adopted out and brought back, and does not appear to have behavioral issues like FDB, is a well adjusted bird? (a high threshold for stress?)

Last edited by GregM; 10/13/12 03:08 AM.
#248550 - 10/13/12 03:47 AM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Let me tell you a few facts that you probably already know deep in your heart, Greg.
  • Quote:
    I guess I should not assume all M2s have behavioral issue

Never assume anything with any cockatoo!
  • Quote:
    I tried to find some information online about their "normal" behavioral characteristics

There is no "normal" behavioral characteristics for any cockatoo. Their behavioral characteristics will, however, be dependent on your own.
  • Quote:
    as you know they are especially noisy and prone to pluck and self mutilate.

Absolutely, that's why this site exists, because so many do!
  • Quote:
    But what are their personalities like?

A crystal ball or pair of dice will be as effective as all the stories you will read.
  • Quote:
    Is it correct to assume that an M2 that was surrendered, has been with fosters for 1.5 years, was adopted out and brought back, and does not appear to have behavioral issues like FDB, is a well adjusted bird? (a high threshold for stress?)

No. A Moluccan's threshold for stress is as individual as our own. What will destroy one will make another thrive and vice versa.

Do not try to rationalize bringing a Moluccan cockatoo into your life. Either you can do it right or don't do it at all. Above all, do not blame a particular cockatoo or what happens to it on the bird. They do not do well in captivity.

Obviously you know all about Ophelia and the changes in his life. This is the result of having a more natural life with less expectations and allowing him to be a bird. If you can't do this once, can you now?

#248551 - 10/13/12 03:55 AM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
"But what are their personlities like?"

As Janny stated above, for some of the other Moluccan related issues, I too would have to say it all depends upon the particular bird. I can only share the experince with ours as I haven't been around another Moluccan.

Ours is independant but occassionally needy. Has never met someone she didn't like, and I'm guessing she has been handled by 150 people since we have had her. But I would bet money she would freek if she ever saw the crooks again that broke into our house a few years back. Curious at times but could care less what you might be doing other times. Ear piercing loud but somedays you wouldn't know she was here. Gets off her cage and tries to taste everythng in sight to not getting off her cage for weeks at a time. Very loving to not wanting to be touched. Capable showing empathy to needing empathy. At least for me, it is pretty easy to read her moods but not always. Doesn't interact with our other two birds, but seems to tolerate both even when the cockatiel recently landed on her head. (Something startled the tiel and even though he is trimmed, he managed to make it all the way across the living room before landing.)

There are a few one sided things though. She hates a bath and vegetables are for floor decorating. What she eats today may not even get looked at tomorrow.

One thing is for sure though, all the items I mentioned could potentially elicit a bite if one didn't understand the "sharing" times versus the "non-sharing" times.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#248556 - 10/13/12 12:17 PM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Greg go back to the home page for Mytoos and play the screaming. And do what it says turn it up full volume and place your ear on the speaker. When doing this what you will experience is what an M2 sounds like when they are in a different room from you with a door closed. If you have ever gone to a heavy metal concert and sat too close to the speakers you get that uncomfortable ringing in your ears that last for a bit of time after the concert, well you can expect to get that twofold when the M2 lets loose with their incredible screams while in the same room. If you are unlucky enough to be holding them on your arm or talking with them from a foot away you will be running to a mirror to see if your ears are bleeding.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#248557 - 10/13/12 04:08 PM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: Charlie]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: Charlie
Obviously you know all about Ophelia and the changes in his life. This is the result of having a more natural life with less expectations and allowing him to be a bird. If you can't do this once, can you now?

I don't know what that means; except for the shot at me, that I understand, as it happens everytime I post here, almost always from you, and its the reason I seldom visit.

For the record: I reluctantly took O into my home to be a short term foster for a few months. I say reluctantly because I met with him several times before taking him in and each time he liked me less. But he had not where to go and when I heard he was going to go back to the home in which he pulled all his feathers I decided I could do no worse, so I took him in while his owner got her act together.

Well, she never did get her act together and I hung in for a year, trying unsuccesfuuly to employ techniques to modify his behaviour so we could cohabit. When it got to the point that he not only resisted but became openly hostile to me it made life unbearable. With the help of members here I was able to place him at BF. I beat myself up for a long time about failing and not being able to make it work.

But in reality, there was nothing more that I could have done and I helped in the transition for O to find a perfect, forever home. Before you critisize me you should talk to JJ at BF and she will tell you she has never met a bird that acts like O and that he is really not suitable for cohabiting in a home. BF is not attempting to change his behavior or adopt him out. They are allowing him to be him; but that does not work in a home environment...not mine anyway.

Sorry for the long winded lament, but anytime I post here it invariably ends up with O thrown in my face. I am proud of what I did for O and I still send him care packages two (2) years later. I am a guardian angel at BF and recently adopted 6 cats through a BF email alert who reside at my office. (cats are a trip smile )

I saw a bird in the paper that needs a home...excuse me for thinking that I might have something to offer. I will play it by ear. (pun intended)

#248558 - 10/13/12 05:00 PM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I'm not criticizing anything to do with O. You did absolutely the right thing but reading your past posts makes me wonder if you will really, ever understand these birds. It is OUR behavior more than theirs that will determine the outcomes in a captive situation. I know your heart is in the right place but your mind must be as well. Sorry if I offended.

#248559 - 10/13/12 05:20 PM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: Charlie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Greg I have to read back on your past posts but you have always wanted and desired a bird that would conform to your lifestyle not you conforming to the birds lifestyle and doing what is needed to change for a bird. You have a routine and you needed the birds to live your routine to an almost obsessive behavior of your own. That is never going to happen in any home with any bird. You said you couldn't handle Ophelia's vocalizing but yet you believe you are ready for a M2.... They are by far the cockatoo that will leave your ears ringing and begging for peace and quiet. I have 3 M2's so I know their noise well and they drown out ANY other of my birds when they do their natural vocalization a few times a day. I have yet to meet one that is quiet. Even when they are content they can be noisy. If they have it set in their mind they don't like someone....they REALLY don't like someone. You also will not be able to stick this bird on a play stand with toys and expect it to stay there and entertain itself. They are very active and the only birds who actually make use of my play stands are my CAG's.

If being honest with you is offending you then you sure don't get the message of this board because we have been nothing but honest with ANY member here. We are not in this for the humans we are in this for the birds and their lives.

Jan

#248561 - 10/13/12 05:55 PM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: Charlie]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I think what the others are trying to say is that there is no way of ever telling how a bird will behave in each individual home. How a bird acts in one home, might be far different than they behave in another. Our Ozzy is very well behaved...for a Too. We spent years learning who he is and how to change our lives to suit him best. He is happy and loving here but that would not necessarily be the case in some other home. Not that we are the perfect home by any means, just that we learned to mold our lives around his and accept him for who he is. We are also always prepared for his ever changing personalities. As we grow and learn and evolve...so do they.

There is No such thing as "normal" behavior. Each one is an individual and any change in their environment can and will make them react differently. I work with folks on a daily basis with their birds to help them be able to keep them and not rehome them. I have had clients who have had a bird for years with no issues and suddenly the bird has become what they deem as aggressive. Honestly what I do isnt at all about changing the bird, but the people who are caring for them.

I fully believe that when adopting a bird, we have to be willing to accept up front that this bird may arrive with a ton of baggage, and we have to love them enough to accept this and not expect the loving lil fluff ball they thought it was going to be. We have to expect the very worst and then be happily surprised if this is not the case. We also have to know that a Too is always a work in progress. Who they are today, may not be who they are today, next week or a year from now....and still be willing to love them no matter what. We can never feel that we are in charge, or that we can make them behave. We can learn who they are and then work with them to make our lives together happy but this takes a willingness on our part to change our mindset and lives to suit theirs.

I dont believe that anyone blames you for O's behavior. O is O and he is who he is and cannot be changed into something he isnt period. Same goes for every other bird. They can change, but it is on their terms...never ours. I am obviously all for adopting birds, I have helped many many find new homes over the past couple of years. However this also includes that I was helping some who were relinquishing their birds and a large majority of them were because they just couldnt accept who their bird was and were not willing or able to make the needed adjustments to help make their birds happy.

All this being said, I would give the same advice I give anyone else who is wanting to adopt a bird and especially an M2. If you can accept all the bad personality traits you have heard and read about, then you might be ready to adopt smile. We adopted a Macaw just over a year ago. She was nothing but sweet and loving in her foster home. It took me almost six months for her to start stepping up for me on a regular basis. She still lunges on occasions and tries to bluff her toughness. I understand her and love her completely though and dont care if this behavior continues forever. She will now step up for me in a heartbeat and I can almost anything for her, but she will lunge at my husband almost every time he is within a couple of feet of her. God love him, he still tries every single day to spend some one on one time with her to help her be less fearful of him. I am fortunate that she did decide to love and trust me, since I am her caregiver but it could have been the other way around and I was willing to accept that if it happened. We had a SC2 that did choose my husband and I was never allowed to touch her or her cage. She and I had a wonderful relationship and learned to coexist but I was never her favorite by far lol. I was ok with that and loved her dearly.

My long winded post here is make sure you are willing to accept them no matter what. Dont expect any certain behavior, because you will NEVER have any guarantees. If you can love them no matter what, then you are ready to adopt smile.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#248562 - 10/13/12 06:29 PM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Hi Greg, long time no type.

I don't have anything to add, just want to reinforce a point already made, which is based on my personal experience with the Noelle and Charlee (M2's), who were in their 20's when I adopted them. It was rare to hear a peep out of Noelle and she never roamed away from her cage, or wherever I placed her. She has evolved into one of the noisiest and mischievous birds in the house. She walks upstairs and will take a hunk out of wood trim or drywall with the best of 'em. And Charlee, who came from BF's is still a very quiet bird, but in the past couple of months, she's started joining her 2 M2's sisters in hoop and hollering sessions. Why? Because she can - lol. And she's just as loud and penetrating as her sisters.

Absolutely do not expect "what you see is what you get". Just as with people, especially children they behave differently with certain people and in different environments/situations.

Take care.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#248572 - 10/14/12 01:26 AM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: EchosMom]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
I try not to become defensive when O comes up; maybe its just me. And I am honest enough to know that O exposed all of my limitations as a caregiver.

But O and this M2 and any other bird are all different, as you have pointed out. I realize that a "special needs" bird like O (BFs term, not mine) is probably not the best fit in my home for a variety of reasons. That is why I asked about "normal" behavior and probably used a poor phrase. I should have asked for typical body language as I am trying to gain insight to understanding the bird for my interactions. I always said that if I ever got another bird it would be through a rescue and it would have to "choose me" so I was hoping to come up with an informed way in which to approach the M2.

I am not a total novice; I know M2s are loud. But a bird that vocalizes "normally" (in the morning, at nite, etc...) is one thing; one that screams for attention whenever left alone is quite another. I am not naive enough to think that I can reform an M2 with behavioral issues in my home. I lack the birdsmanship.

As for my structured life, well, its not too overbearing as Buddi seems to be fine. She has benefited from much of what I have learned (here) from my experience with O. She is incorporated into my routine; is out for breakast and dinner and more on the weekends; is in the gym when I exercise in the am; showers almost daily, etc...

Will I permit her to walk upstairs and take a bite out of wood work or drywall; no way. Its not going to happen.

Anyway this is probably all moot. I met the M2 again today and fed him/her a nut or two and I pet him/her a few time. But I can tell he/she is just feeling me out and can sense my apprehension. I will admit that his/her size intimidates me and I have to get over it and be willing to take a bite. He/she "pinched" me twice today but they were just tests...if this bird wanted to bite me I would have known about it. I became unnerved by it, he/she could tell, and knew he/she owned me from that moment on.

I will be the first to admit that he/she is probably just too much bird for me.

I will probably give it one more attempt and try to be fearless. If I get bit, I get bit.

Last edited by GregM; 10/14/12 01:27 AM.
#248574 - 10/14/12 01:44 AM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I don't "permit" any of mine to take a hunk out of anything except their toys...but sometimes it happens. My alternative would be to leave them locked in their cages until I had the time to sit and do absolutely nothing but stare at every single of them and I don't know about everyone else, but I don't have much free time to sit and do nothing. A quick bite out of something takes only a few seconds - much less time then a quick potty break takes. I guess it's all a matter of choice, and I choose not to keep my birds locked away in their cages just so I have pretty stuff. It is my experience that the M2's and the G2's are the most destructive species.

The M2's do pack a wicked bite but from my experience, they also are the species that will give you the most warning. For the most part they tend to be very slow and deliberate, which makes their body language easier to read, if you're paying attention vs. some of the smaller species that think and act all in the same nano-second. That's my experience anyway - but each individual is different.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#248575 - 10/14/12 01:46 AM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Quote:
He/she "pinched" me twice today but they were just tests...if this bird wanted to bite me I would have known about it.

See here is the thing. You are already setting human ideas into the thinking of this M2. It wasn't a test she probably did more subtle communication that you ignored and pushed forward in order for her to have to pinch you to take your hand away.

I hardly think EM "allowed" her cockatoo to walk up stairs and take a bite out of drywall just like I don't "allow" my cockatoos to take chunks of wood out of the bannister but it happens and they are very fast and sneaky. It's part of the fact that I told you they won't stand in one spot and play with toys. They are curious and on the run.

Jan

#248576 - 10/14/12 03:43 AM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: EchosMom]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: EchosMom
I don't "permit" any of mine to take a hunk out of anything except their toys...but sometimes it happens.

EM, I did not mean to imply that you "permit" it. You are my idol when it comes to birdsmanship, dedication to your avian family and for the support and role you played in helping O find his forever home.

Here is a photo of Zooie.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o93/GregM06/1013021035.jpg

Let me describe what happened and please tell me if you have seen this type of behavior.

I arrived and foster mom was cleaning and making breakfast for the troops. Zooie was on top of the cage and I went over and said hello. I bring nuts for all the birds and hand a few out and then gave Zooie a pine nut, which Zooie loved from the first visit. After a few nuts Zooie climbed down to the floor and approached me. I squatted and allowed Zooie to move at his/her pace. Zooie took another pine nut and held it in his/her beak while checking me out and while I got up the nerve to pet her head and neck. It comforted me that the nut was in his/her beak as I figured he/she could not bite while in his/her mouth. At one point Zooie leaned his/her head against my thigh while I pet his/her head and neck...I thought "this is nice"

Then Zooie did some thing with the nut; kind of like swatted it out of her mouth with her foot. It did not seem like a pleasant jesture. So I stood up, a little confused by the seemingly bipolar behavior.

Zooie then climbed onto the cage and then the top of the door, I figured I would regroup and again approach with a pine nut. EM, just as you said, I held it up to her and instead of taking right away, as previously done, Zooie stared at it for what seemed like a lifetime (slow and deliberate as you said)and then came down around it and pinched by index finger holding the nut. I dropped the nut and withdrew my hand.

I stepped back and was talking to foster mom when Zooie came down on floor again and approached me. I was a little nervous but squatted and several times while on the floor Zooie lifted 1 foot as if wanting me to pick him/her up but I was not certain about that...Zooie seemed to want to get to my hand. I left it there and she came over and begin to place a finger in her beak and squeeze gently...I said "no...make nice" and she began to press a little harder and I removed it and stood up. Zooie walked back and climbed back up the cage and to the top.

Zooie then began to display her crest, lift wings away from the body and march around the perimiter of the top of her cage...not sure what that was all about...picking up toys off the top of cage, shaking them around and dropping them back on top of cage.

At that point I was a bit spooked as I did not know what Zooie was thinking or feeling. It is tough to trust when you cant read the body language and have no idea what they are going to do.

I had decided I had enough for the day and spoke to foster mom for a while and Zooie again came down and was approaching me while we spoke. Not knowing Zooies intentions I was too nervous to try again. I assured foster mom that the issue now is me; not Zooie. I have to be willing to continue to visit and figure out if I have the confidence and ability to establish a relationship with Zooie.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o93/GregM06/1013021035a.jpg

Such a magnificent animal.

I have tried to describe Zooies actions during our interaction without using human constructs. Any idea what Zooie is trying to tell me?

Last edited by GregM; 10/14/12 04:07 AM.
#248582 - 10/15/12 04:46 AM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Greg, your statement troubled me, but I didn't take it personally. It is the unyielding undertone that troubled me -

Quote:
Its not going to happen.
It is an unyielding mindset like this that will accomplish two things - set the bird up for failure and set you up for disappointment. The point I was trying to make is the bigger the bird, the bigger the damage and the louder the yell. You need to be prepared to accept both.

The best source of info into this birds body language is the foster mom because she, after a 1 1/2 yr span, should be intimately aware of the birds mannerisms and what they mean, but I will give it my best shot, based on what the behaviors mean in my birds.

One thing I can say for certain, Zooie didn't want any more pine nuts, thus the swatting it out of the beak. After some scratches s/he retreated to the cage, and you approached the bird again, offering another nut even thought the last one was refused. It's not usual for a 'Too to "accept" something they do not really want, and then discard it. So when you offered another and Zooie stood there staring at it, that was your cue to remove the offer, and when you didn't s/he chose another form of communication - pinching your finger. That you understood - you dropped the nut and withdrew your hand. Ahhh-hah thought Zooie, the new human understood that. Why s/he sought you out again is hard to say. How bonded is Zooie and the foster mom? - you may have been perceived as competition for her affections/attention.

The marching around the top of the cage and slinging toys sounds very territorial to me "This is MY space".

The wisest choice to have made was to end the meeting on the best possible note. When the nut was swatted out of the beak, and you felt that it was not a pleasant gesture (and I agree, it wasn't) Zooie went back to the cage indicating that s/he had had enough interaction, and that is where you should have left it. By re-grouping and going back after the bird had nicely told you "no more", the bird felt forced to communicate with you in a stronger manner - pinching, displaying and *claiming* it's territory.

As you've been reminded before, Buddi is still very young and dealing with a young bird, especially one that has been with you for years is much different than living with a mature bird that has a history. When you have a young bird, you "grow up" together. You know what to expect from one another. Not so, with a mature bird that has dealt with an array of people and has had behaviors reinforced by others for years and years. It takes a lot of time, patience and practice to get to know one another. And as the others have said, much of the way a cockatoo acts and responds is based upon the home and the humans that they are interacting with. Sometimes the lightening bolt strikes (BF's terminology) and it's love at first sight but that is also why most rescues require a period of volunteering and interaction with the birds - to make sure that the connection is a good one.

One thing for sure, is never say never. I have no doubt that your heart is in the right place, Greg. But IMHO, if you cannot become less of a control nut the last thing you need is another 'Too - and this has absolutely nothing to do with O. He is where he needs to be. If you are willing to go into an adoption with no expectations and roll with the punches, then go for it. If not, at the first sign of excessive vocalizations or destruction, both you and the bird are going to be miserable - and that's no kind of life for either of you, especially the bird.

#248608 - 10/16/12 07:49 AM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
zorastro Offline
zorastro  Offline

AZ
Being a rather obsessive/anal "Virgo", I used to have a home that was clean/quiet/everything in it's place. But, also, very unhappy. 20 yrs ago I became involved in dog rescue... For the last 5, I have also been involved with parrots. No longer do I have a "model" home, but I have a happy, NOISY, home. Yes, there has been times this really bothered me, but when I consider the "cons": bites in the woodwork, laptop missing keys, curtains with holes, etc. vs the "pros": happy home, less stress, a "kid" that talks back... there is no comparison. All of these "cons" have happened in a "blink of the eye"... I provide my kids with plenty of stimulation in/out of their cages, but their natural curiosity gets the best of them and me.

In the years since I was first adopted by a cockatiel, I have added two Amazons, a B&G, 3 conures, 1 M2 and a U2 (all rescues). I have a VERY noisy house at times (and usually when you don't want it), but it's a happy home! I work 12 hr shifts, so my kids and I have had to make adjustments (the days off are worth it).

Greg, in reading through your posts, my initial feeling is that you have already shown that you are (by your own admission) intimidated by a larger bird. S/He already owns you and knows it. There's nothing wrong with your reaction, I was very intimidated the first time I met a GreenWing, but I also knew that I needed to find my confidence before dealing with a parrot that size. Until you can be comfortable with the M2 and the uninvited troubles s/he can bring you, I would re-think this adoption. My own opinion...

Z~
#248609 - 10/16/12 05:01 PM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: EchosMom]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Thanks EM and Z...I appreciate the sage advise...

As for my "Not going to happen" comment, what I really meant is that I cant let that happen. I say that for several reasons. Besides my own controlling nature (this Capricorn is nothing if not honest) I know my wife, and if Buddi were to move around the house destroying things the "that bird has to go" chant would begin.

Same with flight. Although I personally prefer Buddi clipped for a variety of reasons, Buddi does demonstrate mild aggression toward my wife, as I am her chosen human, and if she could launch an aerial assault on her, as I have read many a thread on this site and others, she would not be in my home for long. These are the keys to cohabiting in my home and it works for Buddi and I.

A lesson learned from 28 years of marriage: An unhappy man with a happy wife is still happier than a happy man with an unhappy wife.

That segues very nicely into something EM said and I can not believe I did not see it myself. You are so right...Zooie is treating me just as Buddi treats my wife! The foster mom is his (convinced Zooies a male) preferred human and he was just being territorial...my wife cannot understand why Buddi would nip her finger when she is offering a pine nut instead of eating it...duh...exactly what Zooie did to me.

And the marching around on top of the cage displaying is exactly what Buddi does to my wife to run her off our counter top. All for the same reason; establishing his place (and mine beneath his) in the pecking order of the flock.

So, I am going to meet Zooie again and try to show no fear. The bottom line is there does not appear to be any lightening here and I would have to be prepared to focus a lot of time to getting Zooie acclimated to me and a new environment.

I also must admit that I am not certain of my ability to accomplish this objective. What works for Buddi may not work for Zooie. Despite my best efforts the bird may dislike me and we may not be a good fit.

But does that mean I do not try?

The rescue stresses that if it does not work they must get the bird back and, maybe its a defeatist attitude, but that almost gives me comfort...like a safety net if I cannot make it work.

And I will not make the same mistake I made with O, allowing her prior owner, with whom he was "mate bonded" (JJ's quote after watching a video of the 2 together)to visit and reinforce that I was standing between O and her...no visits from foster mom.

Does any of this make sense?

Last edited by GregM; 10/16/12 05:01 PM.
#248610 - 10/16/12 06:35 PM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Gregg I'm sorry but it doesn't make sense to me. At this point in time you know it's not a good fit, so why would you force it? Is this really fair to Zooie? Think about being uprooted and brought into a strange location by someone you fear/dislike, removed from your safety place and those you love. This is not a good way to try to start a positive relationship with an M2. Having already shown yourself the fear you feel being next to Zooie why would you attempt to not show fear? The fear is there, this will rule your actions the first time Zooie attempts to bite regardless of how much you think you will get it under control. Where is your back up plan once you get home? Who is going to help if Zooie does bite you? You really need to do some research on M2 bites. This is not a simple bite, this is a bite that may require stitches or even plastic surgery. Revisit the Bite Page.
Why not visit with other birds in the rescue until you find the right bird that you connect with.

Last edited by Charlie; 10/16/12 08:53 PM. Reason: showed images for clarity!

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#248611 - 10/16/12 08:36 PM Re: Adopting a Moluccan? [Re: GregM]  
My baby Sunshine Offline
My baby Sunshine  Offline

CALIFORNIA
Gregg, you don't see much commenting on this site but I would like to give you another piece of food for thought. You mention your wife "and if Buddi were to move around the house destroying things the "that bird has to go" chant would begin".
Has she been on this site? Is she aware of what the two of you will be getting into if you take on this bird? I have this fear that she will not be happy with this type of bird as they are difficult, big, messy,demanding very loud and given the chance the house is a BIG toy to destroy. Please keep in mind your wife, and Zooie in thought rationally when you make this decision.

Betty & My baby Sunshine & Angel
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny