Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 45 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#248513 - 10/10/12 08:41 PM Jacko---Unwanted Contact Call  
CrimsonBeak Offline
CrimsonBeak  Offline

Quebec, Canada
Hi guys,

So I'm *pretty* good at reinforcing things I want and ignoring calls I don't. My TAG does sometimes get bratty and attempt to use a noise she knows is inappropriate, but I ignore her and turn my back/walk out until she offers a good noise and then I respond and let her out /come back in the room so her tantrums don't last more than a minute or two.

One noise I'd love to get rid of is what seems to be a contact call (sort of?). Its a loud whoop followed by a smoke alarm screech. She seems to use it as either a contact call or a general alarm/excitement noise (if someone new opens the door and comes in she makes the noise, we also trigger it when we leave).

The problem is I can't use the standard approach of not coming back into the room until she quiets/remodelling it with something else because it generally looks something like this.

Antecedent: I leave the room/the door opens and unfamiliar people/things/animals appear
Behaviour: She sometimes fluffs/bobs/dances and then screeches 1-2 times but is quiet--doesn't repetitively call
Consequence:??

Goal: As we'll be moving into an apartment soon I'd like to replace the noise entirely with something else.
I'd also in general like to get her to reduce the volume on her whistling etc.

#248522 - 10/11/12 06:25 AM Re: Jacko---Unwanted Contact Call [Re: CrimsonBeak]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
We need to chop this down a bit and work on one functional analysis (ABC) at a time.

I see:

3 A's;

• you leave the room
  • the door opens
  • unfamiliar "things" enter

4 B's (with "sometimes" noted)

• fluffs
  • bops
  • dances
  • screeches

C's - (with a ? mark). You have to be the eyes here.

The first thing you must do is establish (target) the behavior that you want to change, which is the screeching? But ask yourself this...is the vocalization excessive/incessant? Normal vocalizations should be encouraged.

Behavior has function, but it is important to remember that one behavior can have more than one function. So screeching can serve one purpose in one situation, and a serve as a totally different purpose in another. I think this is where the waters are becoming muddy. So, with that said, let's work one at a time. It's also important to provide a background of the environment - so I'll take a stab and say that Jacko is sitting on top of her cage;

A = Crimson leaves the room
    B = Jacko screeches
    C = ??? (what happens) and honestly if she only screeches one or two times, you're lucky - lol!)

The next one would go like this:

Backround - Jacko is alone in the room

A = The door opens - the door doesn't open by itself so I don't think this is an antecedent at all? ______ opens the door and ________.

B = ???

C = ???

Follow what I'm saying. You are taking 1 behavior and trying to use a broad brush to paint the A and the C. Think about it, chop it up and as I said, remember that the same behavior does not always have the same consequence. It seems that she screams to get you to come back to the room and screams to get unfamiliar things to leave the room so the same behavior produces the desired, but different consequences.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#248791 - 10/25/12 05:53 AM Re: Jacko---Unwanted Contact Call [Re: CrimsonBeak]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
I am telling you, this stuff is deep! Love reading it though! Hope you and your TAG can make this work for you! smile

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny