Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 38 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#24784 - 10/02/04 07:17 PM 'Too ownership avoided  
Ringosmom Offline
Ringosmom  Offline

There is an online classified ad section of azfamily.com, and one post was from a young lady about to turn 16, who decided she wanted either a cockatoo, or an african grey for her birthday. (Oh no..) I posted that anyone considering a cockatoo should visit mytoos.com. Apparently she did, because her following posts said she was looking for an african grey. I believe she is too young for a grey as well, but didn't know of a grey site that would let her know the facts about the commitment she thinks she wants to make. Also, she is posting that she is selling her snakes, which she has had for two years. I wonder if she made a similar "commitment" to them when she got them. Thanks mytoos for providing information.... it is so important to get the facts before you get a bird.
Carole

#24785 - 10/02/04 07:59 PM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been searching for the ad placement from this 16 yr old on the website that you mentioned so that I can also advise her of the challenges/requirements, etc that AG require. Any parrot, especially the large species, can end up just like the toos. Can not locate. Please PM me with some directions to the actual post. THanks much,

Tamara

#24786 - 10/02/04 09:34 PM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

BRAVO TO BOTH OF YOU. This is the exactly kind of cognizant response to our agenda we hope for.

YOU SEE OUR MESSAGE IS GETTING OUT THERE.

Thank you.

#24787 - 10/02/04 10:28 PM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
DonnaM Offline
DonnaM  Offline

Arizona
The ad is below. I've been in contact with her, didn't know about the snake until I saw the post here. I had asked several questions which included other pets from the past and pets she has now and not one mention of the snake.

Sad thing is that if she's willing to lie, she's not likely to listen to advise. But you can only try and hope for the best.

That site has a horrible history when it comes to birds. Knew this gal who advertised on there for months looking for 'free' birds to live in her 'sanctuary' and it wasn't even a year later that she sold all of the birds given to her (and it was a LOT) and every now and then she still lists the aviary for sale.

Anyway, here's the original ad. It was three days later when she posted wanting a grey. She was offered a Meyers on day one but it must not have been good enough.

WANTED parrot
09/27/2004
Phone Edited
Email:Edited
WANTED parrot for reasonable price. my sweet 16 bday is coming up. i would like a life long companion. i will be paying for most of my parrot so please consider my age and loan me a good price. thank you so so much trisha feel free to call anytime

#24788 - 10/03/04 06:14 AM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I took the liberty of doing a google search for ms. trisha's email addy and it seems she's been a busy girl this summer! She has placed ads in a few different places with different stories.

One (as stated above) is for a too and/or a grey.

Yet another: "Quaker-cockatiels-small Parets - Sanctuary for small parrots. Give you unwanted bird to a loving family will not sell or trade will make permenet home. experienced owner family help. all my money goes to bird food and vets so please cannot pay much, only a good home."

And another posted on May 10 2004 on a lost & found board:
"Please help me find my cockatoo!!! he is all white and is very friendly. i paid much for him and loved him dearly. he will climb onto your hand and he asl;o nibbles a bit. i miss him so much. ...... i am also missing my lovebird. i let my brother watch him for me and his window was open:(. she is green with blue tale and peach face. thnx!!! so much!!!"

On yet another classifieds dated June 8, 2004:
"Subject: WANTED!!!!! - birds that you are trying to sell or get rid of. i am a experienced bird owner and i will take your unwanted bird. if you want your feathered baby to find a good home well here it is. i have little money to spend on bying the bird because i spend all my money on food toys and cages for my babies. cages dont have to come with or they can. please dont place your bird in a bad home or a home for a greedy person to sell your baby. contact me at anytime you want. i prefer not to ship the ships because of stress on birds. but will make a deal. thank you and good luck!!"

One more: "African Grey Hand Held Baby - WANTED african grey baby, my sweet 16 b-day is coming up & would like a life long friend. i know there value from searching for months for 1 please help me find a reasonable price. i love birds and would love to own my very own grey. PLEASE HELP FAST thank you so much trisha"

confused Is it just ME, or does she sort of sound like a collector (at such a young age, too)? It seems awfully irresponsible for her to be putting her personal info. out on the Internet, as well as the fact that she's an underage girl. Do you suppose she'll be more responsible when caring for a parrot?

Lynne & the Flock

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#24789 - 10/03/04 06:16 AM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
There is something very fishy about miss phena_shorty.

This is from: http://www.birdhotline.com/viewlost.htm

which is one of many hits that comes up when you "Google" her e-mail address.

Phoenix, Arizona . . . Cockatoo

05/10/2004

Please help me find my cockatoo!!! he is all white and is very friendly. i paid much for him and loved him dearly. he will climb onto your hand and he asl;o nibbles a bit. i miss him so much. ...... i am also missing my lovebird. i let my brother watch him for me and his window was open:(. she is green with blue tale and peach face. thnx!!! so much!!!

LH, as this is a minor, I removed the phone # and e-mail....Ron

#24790 - 10/03/04 04:59 PM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
Ringosmom Offline
Ringosmom  Offline

Wow thanks so much for contacting her and trying to talk some sense into her. And I may have spoken too soon... she's still asking for either a grey or a 'too. I didn't know she'd been posting all these messages regarding "lost" birds as well. How terribly sad...
Carole

#24791 - 10/03/04 05:37 PM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
Katy Offline
Lives Here
Katy  Offline
Lives Here

MA
Oh boy! Yes, she does sound like a collector. Awful. frown

Katy

#24792 - 10/03/04 07:48 PM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
joemadness Offline
joemadness  Offline

South Florida
I have noted that many younger folk visiting various bird boards exploring bird ownership and seeking advice. I am always shocked over the number of people that actually promote this and make posts advising them to buy the birds that they are exploring. I have even been attacked on different boards for offering the reality of long-term bird ownership, especially with a big bird. I am glad that they are seeking advice; however many of them have their minds made up already. I really hope that she is not a collector at such a young age or someone posing as a teenages to get more birds for their collection.

#24793 - 10/04/04 06:28 PM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
KD2 Offline
KD2  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Just a thought could this possibly be an adult exploiting the internet to aquire birds for sale or trade?She seems a little too busy working every angle to be only 16 or she is going to end up being the next Enron executive!
If it is a 16 yr. old shame on her parents for allowing her to entertain the purchase of a pet parrot as a gift for turning 16 . There has to be far more commitment on their part and an understanding that at 16 kids change their minds as often as they change their clothes and that this is a life, not a disc player.When the novelty wears off what becomes of the parrot! I just got a call from a young lady 21 that wants to find a new home for her parrot of 7 yrs. because her life is just taking off and she no longer has time for her grey?Now this bird is losing the only home it has ever known where were her parents when she wanted the bird?We have become such an instant gratification society... what ever we want we have to have right now with no thought into the consequences of our actions tomorrow. frown

#24794 - 10/04/04 07:35 PM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

angry If I would have known that her email addy matched up to all of that... my email to her would have taken a different tone. I feel foolish because I took the approach of educating her on responsibility, results of neglect, costs involved, effects of re-homing (like us loosing a mom or child...same to birds), etc...

Awful!

#24795 - 10/05/04 03:42 AM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
smile Stryker, you did the right thing, no doubt! There's no foolishness in trying to educate someone who appeared to need it. It was simply by chance that the email addy had been temporarily posted on here and I decided to google it and see where else it showed up. Some things happen for a reason, don't they?

Lynne & the Flock

#24796 - 10/14/04 06:56 PM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
Sunny-Baby Offline
Sunny-Baby  Offline

Canada
I'm not sticking up for this girl, as she should have done her research before even thinking about getting any sort of bird. mad But I got my first G2 when I was 17, I'm now 19 and have 2 Goffins. I did some research and looking back, Getting both of them is the best decision I've ever made. smile You all sound like your knocking younger bird owners. I just thought I'd add my opinion. My birds are both very healthy and happy. They are very loved. I just wanted you all to know that not all young bird owners are like this girl. frown

#24797 - 10/14/04 10:45 PM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
PaRehabber Offline
PaRehabber  Offline

Pennsylvania
I have to agree with KD2 in the idea that this may not be a child but an adult posing as a 16 yaer old. That was my first thought when I read hellobaby's post of all the different ads. Happens all the time on the internet. I wonder if this person is gathering birds cheap with her sob story and reselling them (or worse.)

Peggy

#24798 - 10/15/04 04:41 AM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Hi Sunny-Baby smile

I don't think it's a matter of knocking younger bird owners. Being young yourself you probably realize the potential for big changes in people's lives who are your age. Some teens are more mature than others. I believe they're the exception rather than the rule though. It's simply being honest in warning young people about the fact that these birds live a long time and young people face a lot of changes. There are many who will want to 'sew their wild oats' rather than be responsible at that age. While some will realize the huge responsibility of sharing a lifetime with a parrot, others may only think as far as how cool it would be to have a parrot. I hope we can agree that not all young people should have parrots. (For that matter, many non-teens shouldn't have parrots...) For those who can read our warnings and still choose to have one (or more) I think that shows the determination that they may have toward providing the right kind of home for them.

Lynne

#24799 - 10/15/04 06:12 AM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
Sunny-Baby, it's not a matter of "knocking younger bird owners." Many of us had birds in our lives at a very young age (5, 6, 7 years old). The issue is that young people have very little control of their own lives. If you are living with parents or adult guardians, you have to abide by their rules and wishes. And if the adults don't have the same level of care and commitment that you do, you're pretty much screwed unless you've got your own money and wheels, have friends with cars, or are rebellious enough to defy the adults and risk the consequences.

#24800 - 10/15/04 06:55 AM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
zoe luvr Offline
Lives Here
zoe luvr  Offline
Lives Here

California
I agree with the others that say, getting birds young is a bad idea. Well big birds anyways. I am also 19 and got Zoe(G2) and Felix(TAG) when I was 17 and all was well untill I had a baby. I still have my birds and plan on keeping them but their lives changed just as dramatically as mine.
It went from sharing a room, and being out and playing with me all day, to having their own room and being out all day but less time with me, to sharing a room with my sister sometimes getting out all day some times getting out a few hours, some times just an hour and a considerable amout of less time with me because of my baby.
Is it fair? No, but that is what life brought to us and luckily they have each other and are two very well adjusted birds. Things might be a bit trying for us now but they will get better.

My point I guess is, that I love my birds and I am glad I have them but it would have been much better for us all had I waited untill I had my own house, GREAT paying job, and older kids.

About the supposed 16yr old...maybe she should get a plant.

#24801 - 10/15/04 08:13 AM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
Jeepers42 Offline
Jeepers42  Offline

I have to jump in on this one. I was also 17 when I purchased my M2. We've made it 5 years...but it certainly has been rough. I think most teen's would rehome the bird in a heartbeat when life starting catching up with them.

In one respect, it's good to adopt young, because that's a *better* chance that your bird will have only one home (without the human dying first).

In another respect, young people don't realize just exactly WHAT they've gotten themselves into, and they rehome the bird the second they get a boyfriend who doesn't like birds, have a baby, or move into an apartment.

I think the matter of age, really depends on the person's maturity level and the amount of responsiblity the person has. I've encountered 10 year olds with more responsiblity than 30 year old persons. :rolleyes: I think we all have.

#24802 - 10/15/04 09:49 AM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
Quote:
About the supposed 16yr old...maybe she should get a plant.
ROTFL Zoe luvr! However, as someone who practically has a mini-rainforest in my home (you'd be surprised at how "fussy" some plants are in their requirements), I think we need to qualify your suggestion: A cactus, perhaps, which some people say "thrive on neglect." But I'd humbly suggest one of those disgusting plastic plants. Or maybe a pet rock. Hmmm...I guess you're too young to remember the pet rock craze. Sigh....

#24803 - 10/15/04 03:19 PM Re: 'Too ownership avoided  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

A chia pet!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny