Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 82 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#247717 - 08/28/12 07:44 PM Help with my goffin cockatoo  
cassandra Offline
cassandra  Offline

I have got a 6 year old g2 from my parents about a year ago. I am looking for advice to get him to calm down. I have tried alot of things and they seem to help for awhile and then he goes back to his ways from before. He doesnt want to stay by me and i dont know why. He was such a loving bird before. How to i get him to tame down. I tried to by holding him by his wings wheree he wont fly but it doesnt help. PLEASE HElp

#247719 - 08/28/12 08:11 PM Re: Help with my goffin cockatoo [Re: cassandra]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
G2's are extremly high strung, active Toos. They need lots and lots of things to do. I find that giving them things to destroy like paperback books, boxes, shredable toys helps.

Do you have any other birds in your household??

Last edited by Elliott; 08/29/12 12:55 AM.
#247724 - 08/29/12 12:43 AM Re: Help with my goffin cockatoo [Re: Elliott]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
If you could take the time to read "bird and the bank account" it's a topic made sticky in this forum it will help allot. Goffin cockatoos are very high energy and don't stay in one place long.They seem to be the higher energy of the cockatoos in my home anyway so chances of it staying beside you just hanging out are slim unless it's sick.Holdong it's wings so it can't fly is recipe for a bite and be thankful you haven't gotten a bad one yet that needed some stitches because it will happen if you continue.

My goffies favorite thing is to chase a rolling ball on the floor and throw it and chase it for hours. They need activities like this because they are just that high strung.

Please read the article mentioned above and any other topics made sticky in the tops of the different forums but mostly the behavior one.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#247745 - 08/29/12 03:09 PM Re: Help with my goffin cockatoo [Re: cassandra]  
cassandra Offline
cassandra  Offline

Elliot,
I dont have any other birds in the house.He is my only bird. He always has toys to play with. He is full of energy.

Jenny thank you for the ideas and i will be sure to read the article. I love my bird alot and just want him to be happy.

I do have 2 young kids. I wonder if he gets a attitude when they are around. He absolutely hates kids and men. I got him from a Breeder where is owner was selling him because his mate died by getting a string stuck in her throat. They never really socialized him at all. He was always in his cage and never let out. I am wondering if that has something to do with him no being that tame.

#247773 - 08/31/12 05:54 AM Re: Help with my goffin cockatoo [Re: cassandra]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Originally Posted By: cassandra
Elliot,
I got him from a Breeder where is owner was selling him because his mate died by getting a string stuck in her throat. They never really socialized him at all. He was always in his cage and never let out. I am wondering if that has something to do with him no being that tame.

There is the problem, right there. Or problems, plural. He lost his mate. He lost his home. Even though he wasn't socialized, or treated very well, it was familiar to him. He's in a new place, without his mate, without anybody familiar, and with strange people (including children and a man) and he's terrified what might happen; he suspects it might get worse, even!

He himself may not be geared to be quiet, but he probably needs his surroundings to be quiet, restful, dependably routine, for a while. When the children aren't home, sit by the cage and talk or read to him. Offer treats through the cage bars, and notice which kinds he likes best. Allow him to make choices about whether he wants to interact, and withdraw if he diesn't, but stay "available". If you can relax and not feel pressured to "perform" by getting him all calmed down, it will calm him wonderfully. At least, that's how it has worked with our birds. Granted, they aren't toos, but they still respond to my feeling pressured with screams, bites, wild flight, and other silliness that could result in injuries, either to me or to them.

Jody

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny