Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#243776 - 04/01/12 07:19 PM Mytoos Etiquette  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Shocking as it is to the Staff of Mytoos we are noticing some inappropriate posting behavior of the members here at Mytoos.This is not directed at any one person or member it is a problem that is just getting a little out of control.We value the members input and help.It takes allot of stress and expectations off the staff here at Mytoos but some things to keep in mind here...

Mytoos is a Private Owned Message Board.This means we have no sponsors,which was decided a long time ago to reserve our right to say the things we feel needs to be said without concern for other debate.We reserve the right to handle ANY transmission ANY way we feel appropriate with no explanations due to anyone.Also Mytoos is made up of a volunteer staff...there is no one profiting from this board except for YOU and your Cockatoo from the wealth of information it contains and the support you get from this Site and Message Board. This is our commitment to cockatoos.

When an Admin or Moderator has to edit out information please do not repost the information that is being removed.It is being removed for a reason and we do reserve the right to do so.We do not have to give an explanation as to why it is being removed but typically we do give you a reason at the bottom of the post as a courtesy to you if you look at the bottom of your post that has been edited.If a complete post has been removed...then ask yourself if it was appropriate to post it...it would not have been removed if it was appropriate.We are all adults here and lets behave and conduct ourselves as such please.Think before you post.

We have one thing in mind when we reply to members.The birds,their safety and well being.If we see this is being sacrificed we will say so.Understand Mytoos has been around for a very long time and is the largest cockatoo board known for it's truth,good advice,and no fluff.Let's keep it that way.If you want fluff boards there are many out there but one thing for sure is you won't get the same advice/help there that you will here.We should not have to sugar coat the truth for it to be heard.Sometimes the truth hurts but it's better than risking the life of an innocent living being and having some hurt feelings that we should be able to tolerate.

There is also a difference between the classifications and title of someone who is posting to give advice.You need to learn to decipher who you are getting advice from.Anyone is free to give/receive advice on this board.Use your own judgement of who it's coming from and the experience they have.

Moderators and Admin can only do so much when it comes to reading through all the posts and don't forget we have jobs,family,flock and lives away from the computer also.We can not always read every post as they are coming in so the expectations on members is huge,especially the members who have been here for a long time.If you see something posted that is not what we stand for or is not acceptable you can "notify" us of the post which sends an email to the Moderators of the forum and also Admin.This will get our attention right away and we will come in and take care of things when time permits.It is not okay to encourage this to continue or start to participate yourself.We again have one thing in mind...safety!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#244299 - 04/20/12 07:51 PM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Janny]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Bumping because it's needed!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#245872 - 07/07/12 11:54 PM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Janny]  
Nikola Offline
Nikola  Offline

NM
Hello:

I am still fairly new to this site and so happy I found it. But I have a few questions and have no idea how to get them answered. Could you direct me to where to go? I checked FAQ. All I really want to know is how to not use my real name and use my USERID instead.

Thank you,

Nikki

Nikola
#245873 - 07/08/12 12:13 AM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Nikola]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Ask away.

#245880 - 07/08/12 04:03 AM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Janny]  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Nikki,

You can not change your user ID but you can change your display name.

Click on My Stuff and select Edit Profile.

#245887 - 07/08/12 06:20 AM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Michael]  
Nikola Offline
Nikola  Offline

NM
Thank you, Charlie and Michael. I will fix ASAP.

N

Nikola
#245913 - 07/08/12 05:18 PM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Michael]  
Nikola Offline
Nikola  Offline

NM
What is it I change or add? I actually did start there and made some changes, none of which changed what is publicly displayed. The only reason I care is that my name is unusual and my past experience is getting borderline stalked. I am too durn old for that. :-)

Nikola
#245917 - 07/08/12 05:43 PM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Janny]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I don't see an option to change display name either.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#245918 - 07/08/12 06:50 PM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Nikola]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I might be able to help if you give the display name you desire.

#245924 - 07/08/12 11:38 PM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Charlie]  
Nikola Offline
Nikola  Offline

NM
Nikola is what I want to use.

I also want to ask you a few cockatoo questions. I have read some of your posts and I note you to be pretty straightforward. I am new at this and want to give the best care I can.

Thanks

Nikola
#245925 - 07/09/12 12:04 AM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Nikola]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
How's that?

Yes, I am very straightforward and want to keep this site as the founder intended it to be, full of the best information available on the care of cockatoos. We don't take middle ground and compromises. The information we put out will be for "optimum" care. What a member or reader does from there is their own business. We just don't want to burden the site with argument, short cuts and quick fixes. We will end these threads quickly. There is no requirement to "join" Mytoos. It is open for everyone to read, it is free and it is true. We don't want to be like other board forums and that is the main reason we do not let advertisers fund the site, it might stymie our ability to get the truth out.

What we have the most trouble with here is our Agenda, and people not reading it. Once read and understood, there should be no problem. Once again, you do not have to agree with us to use our site because we care about the birds that are in captivity and want the very best for them.

Here is our agenda, please visit our main page, http://www.mytoos.com , and enjoy. Welcome to Mytoos! smile

Quote:
Welcome to The Ultimate Cockatoo Message Board!
Brought to you by mytoos.com

When we opened the mytoos message board 7 years ago, people found us by visiting the mytoos.com website. Most were aware of the mytoos agenda because of this.

As mytoos message board increases it's membership we are seeing more and more members registering who have heard about the message board through other venue's (i.e. word of mouth, direct links to the board on websites, etc). Some of the newer people are completely unaware of our purpose and goals however, because they aren't coming in through the website.

For this reason, we ask all new members to please read the following guidelines to help you better understand what we are all about and adhere to a few suggestions and/or "rules".

1. We have an "agenda" here at mytoos message board. We do NOT believe in breeding, or the buying and selling of parrots through either breeders or pets stores, online classifieds or auctions. If you are a breeder, pet store owner, or you support any of these practices, we do not care to debate the issue with you. Been there, done that....many many times. There are several threads on the board dealing with the issue and if you use our search feature, you can look up the previous discussions to understand our stance better. Any post attempting to debate this issue further will be deleted.
UPDATE
Please do NOT post links, names, addresses or phone numbers to any pet stores, breeders or facilities that sell, breed or advocate selling or breeding of parrots. If you post a link to a pet store or breeders site, the post will be deleted.

2. Mytoos is a privately owned and operated message board. We do not depend on or accept any advertisements or sponsors. If you own/operate a business, do not come to mytoos message board to advertise your business. We do not make money from this board and we do not allow others to use our board for that purpose either. Any posts advertising a business for personal gain will be deleted and membership denied if the posting of personal business links continues.
This includes placing a business link in the profile section.

3. We are not a "fluff" board. This means, that while we welcome your stories, photos etc about your birds, and have a section devoted to those type discussions, do not be put off by our firm and often blunt answers to serious questions. We are here to help you and your bird/s... but BIRDS are our primary concern, and if we are going to help birds, it sometimes means getting-in-your-face a bit and "telling it like it is". If you want the unvarnished, plain truth about Cockatoos and other parrots, you've come to the right place, if you want to be validated for doing something that we may feel is not in the best interest of the BIRDS, you might want to find another bird board. There are a lot of them out there that will be glad to tell you what you want to hear, we aren't one of them. We'll tell you what you NEED to hear, and its not always going to be pretty.

#245954 - 07/10/12 12:30 AM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Charlie]  
Nikola Offline
Nikola  Offline

NM
perfect...you fixed my problem.

I did read the agenda and I do not fit into the categories, nor would I ever want to. My birds are kind of "rescue" birds. The U2 is really my son's bird. She was passed on due to allergies. She was also young enough to retrain. I think as U2 s go, she is kind of easy. However I adopted a displaced, needed a home badly, LSC2 who is 18 and not close to easy.

i have a lot to learn. I want straight answers as I want to do the best by them. So the question is, where on this site should I go to just ask my questions? My preference is not to hear the sweet talk, only the real talk.

Thank you for all your help.

Nikola
#245958 - 07/10/12 01:42 AM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Nikola]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
It depends on the type of question. If it's about diet, go under diet, if it's behavioural, go under behaviour. If it doesn't really "fit" anywhere, go under general. At least, that's how I pose my questions. smile

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#245960 - 07/10/12 01:51 AM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Nikola]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Exactly, if you look through the forums, you will find many topics that will pique your interest. Reading them will allow you to formulate your own specific questions. The search feature is also good for specific items.

#246049 - 07/12/12 11:46 PM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Charlie]  
Nikola Offline
Nikola  Offline

NM
I do not know where else to post this... I read about Bill and the financial problems. Then it ended in 3/12. Where can I go to see if they still need help. I can't do much, but I can do some.

Nikola
#246052 - 07/13/12 01:31 AM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Janny]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Hi Nikola, bless you for wanting to help. The thread you were reading ended on 3/12 because Bill made his flight to Rainbow Bridge late that afternoon. frown

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=243404#Post243404

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#246062 - 07/13/12 03:41 AM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: EchosMom]  
Nikola Offline
Nikola  Offline

NM
Thank you for replying. I did not know Megan or Bill, but as I look back on the threads I can see they were both loved. My heart feels heavy.

Nikki

Nikola
#246493 - 07/28/12 03:03 PM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Janny]  
PeaJ Offline
PeaJ  Offline

S/W Florida
I'm also a new member, trying to learn my way around. Usually there is a place on boards for "introduce yourself". I don't find a place that seems to be for that. Also I have a couple questions and am posting them here since I haven't found an area that seems to be more appropriate. I've noticed at the top of the page it shows who's on line. When I'm logged in, but, like right now, it shows only one registered member and it's not me. It shows guests and spiders, whatever that is. Would it not show me as logged in also? When I try to look at other's profiles, it says I do not have permission. Is that another thing that is disabled on the board for everyone or is there a reason I can't view them?
Another question, I am active with a local sanctuary that I'd like to have you consider adding to your list. Since the PM's are inactive, how, and to whom would I give the information? Last night I read though all the posts about the Troy parrots and their situation. There is one piece of information in that thread that should be corrected and again, don't know who should get the information.*************
If any or all of this should have been posted elsewhere, please let me know. As I say, trying to learn your board. Thanks.

#246500 - 07/28/12 07:14 PM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: PeaJ]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Here's the index page so you can find the proper categories. I am not interested in any updates or CORRECTIONS about the Troy parrots. It is what it is and it's not for Mytoos.

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

#246516 - 07/29/12 01:15 AM Re: Mytoos Etiquette [Re: Janny]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
As for you (and others) showing online, at the top of each page from the menu bar select the "My Stuff" tab and go to "edit preferences". Near the bottom of the page you will see this:

"Hide from Who's Online?" and you have the option of choosing yes or no. If no is selected, your name will not appear in "Who's Online".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny, Michael