Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 42 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#245618 - 06/26/12 04:38 PM New member from Indianapolis needs advice  
GrayWolf Offline
GrayWolf  Offline

Hey all,

I hate joining a forum just to ask for help but I know it happens all the time.

My mother has hand raised a Goffin for seven years. She was recently admitted to the hospital with terminal cancer. We all expected to have her around for the next 30 years. Obviously the bird is now going to outlive her which raises a few questions.

I understand that these birds bond with their owner. How difficult will it be for her to bond with a new person?

My mother has built a large outdoor habitat where she can fly around without worrying about predators. I have five dogs. That also raises a few concerns for me. Should I try to find someone who also has birds that fly outdoors or coop her up in my house. Seems rather cruel for a bird used to that type of freedom.

Anyone know of a rescue group in my area who can help?

Any advice welcome,
GW

#245620 - 06/26/12 06:47 PM Re: New member from Indianapolis needs advice [Re: GrayWolf]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
First of all, my condolences. My family has a terrible history with cancer, and I can most certainly sympathize.

When it comes to bonding, it really depends on the bird. It only took my girl, Monty, a month to take a shine to me after I brought her home, while with others it can take a great deal of time. Bottom-line, most birds are able to re-bond.

These guys are highly adaptable, so I wouldn't worry too much about the outdoor/indoor thing, cruel as that might seem. The question is: are YOU comfortable homing the 'too?

After a brief Google search, there are a number of rescues not too far away from you, though I can't vouch for their credibility. It's really too bad that we aren't closer; I'd be more than willing to house a 'too in need.

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#245621 - 06/26/12 08:40 PM Re: New member from Indianapolis needs advice [Re: GrayWolf]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
The best thing for you to do now would be to read as much as possible on here to get an idea of the trials and tribulations of sharing your home with a too. The dogs would be a little scary for me but quite a few members here live with a both and have a happy household. It really depends on the temperments of your dogs, size of your home and the ability to keep them seperate if need be. Some of the important things for you to evaluate are do you have the extra time to spend with her daily, finacial ability to support her, noise and the impact on your family and neighbors, how much are you willing to change your lifestyle to accomadate her. If you think about what it would be like to bring a 3 year old child into your home that's the change you will be looking at in lifestyle. Please take the time to read through the forum threads, use the search feature at the top of the page and ask questions!
Here are a couple of helpful links to help you should you decide to go the rescue route.
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=154272#Post154272
Best of luck with your decision and prayers and positive thoughts for your mom.
Welcome to Mytoos.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#245662 - 06/28/12 06:51 AM Re: New member from Indianapolis needs advice [Re: GrayWolf]  
PJsMom Offline
Lives Here
PJsMom  Offline
Lives Here

California
Sorry to hear about your Mom. It will be a difficult transition for family and Bird family. Cockatoos do grieve and quite hard sometimes. Pay close attention to the advice given by the moderators, they know Toos and really will help you figure this out!

PJ owns 2 adults, 1 Grandma and everybody else is his playtoys.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny