Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#243820 - 04/03/12 03:31 AM Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
Please help I don't know what to do. I rescued my Too a month ago and I think she is hormonal and wants to nest. The people that had her never took her out of her cage. Now she don't want to get back in her cage. She is very lovable when we first got her we petted her till we found out this was a no no. I know the zoo will take her and she will have a big cage with another too.My heart is broken and I don't want to sell her>the people I got her from were being evicted and needed some money to move.I paid $450 with cage. I will eat that money rather her go some where I now she is not going to be taken care of. I did not know nothing about Too's when I bought her till I came upon this sight. She just seems to be screaming more than normal at the worst times.If I could control her screaming.My husband says she only starts when I come home Should I give her to a bird rescue or the zoo.I want her to be happy.I want what is best for her. Please help heart broken

#243826 - 04/03/12 05:57 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
If he's really determined not to have her in the house, you will need to get her into some other place. If he's willing to work with her, even for a time, you probably need to start by making certain she gets adequate sleep. That means she has to have "dark time" for at least 12 hours every night, perhaps 13. Your husband may be a little more reasonable if he realizes he helped get her "wound up" with the petting.
The "rescue or zoo" choice leaves us entirely uninformed on what sort of zoo is near you, and which rescue. More info?

Last edited by jm47; 04/03/12 05:58 AM.

Jody
#243832 - 04/03/12 06:26 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
You did not rescue your bird, you purchased her, so first off, let's forget about the money that you paid...it's not important now.

Have you stopped and asked yourself why the bird is screaming when you come home? Are you properly greeting her when you come home and spending some quality time with her, or are you off busy tending to other responsibilities?

I agree with JM, everyone in the household must be onboard with sharing their lives with a 'Too - they are loud and destructive. But if the screaming is isolated, there is a reason for it and it is being reinforced. We need more information to help guide you.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#243836 - 04/03/12 09:20 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
stevejones75 Offline
stevejones75  Offline

I agree with Echosmom, forget about the money its gone you paid for her thats done!

How much is she screaming? and what times of the day does she scream!
How much sleep is she getting?
Whats her diet?
Does she have a regular supply of toys, wood and cardboard to totally destroy?
Do you have any other birds?

#243841 - 04/04/12 04:05 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
Ok my husband said she starts to scream when I get home, which is about 5:30 or 6:00. My vet made me put her on zupream she was on a all seed diet and all she ate was the sun flower seeds. She get 12 hours of sleep.. I feel I did rescue her they never took her out of her cage and was stuck in a corner with no window very little inter action. I felt so sorry for her.. When I got her to my house we let her out of her cage and she got on top of cage . Now she hardly gets in her cage. When I do put her in her cage she screams till I can't stand it any more and I let her out. She has plenty of toys. She does not like the zupream she puts it in her water. My husband started giving her pecans and she loves them. She is a total seed eater. I have tried to give her fruits and vegetables that have went bad from her not eating them.. I do go her room and talk to her when I get home. It's when I leave she starts to scream. She will get on my hand and I hold her close to me and I rub her head.... I would like to build a out side aviary but I have a lot of cats and I also have 4 little
dogs that stay inside.. We have a beautiful zoo in Alexandria Louisiana. It would be a natural habitat huge cage.... I don't want to give her up I have gotten attached to her but I want to do what is right I know it will take time a patience... It is just me and my husband and dogs

#243846 - 04/04/12 05:33 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
How many hours of out of cage time does she have every day? How long are you usually gone for and how long do you spend with her when you get home? Can you relocate her cage to the mainstream of the house vs. her being in a room by herself?

When a behavior increases in frequency or is maintained it is being reinforced. All behavior has function. Now read what you wrote below. Why is she screaming? Let's see if you come up with the right answer, then we can talk about things you can do to reduce the behavior. smile

Originally Posted By: tinsleyducote
When I do put her in her cage she screams till I can't stand it any more and I let her out.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#243849 - 04/04/12 05:47 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
JessicasZoo Offline
JessicasZoo  Offline

does she sleep in her cage? She needs to!

do NOT let her out of the the cage for screaming, just like a child... You are teaching her that if she throws a temper tantrum, she will get her way. That's a no-no.

nuts Are NOT proper diet. Its like feeding your toddler cheetos. They are treats only. MAny toos put their food in the water to soften it {mine does} I wouldn't assume she isn't eating it. Do not allow food to spoil. Offer fresh foods. Let her see you eat those foods. If she does not respond, remove the food before it spoils. Toos are very impressionable ans will like to do as you do. That includes eating habits.

how often is she out of the cage? What kind of schedule is she on? Does she go to bed at the same time every night? Good need consistency otherwise they get very cranky. Where is the cage? Is she in an area where she can see you? Maybe she is lonely. She waits all day for you at home . ( like A puppy in the window )

how big is her cage? What kind of things are in her cage to keep her busy during the day? Cockatoos become very prone to separation anxiety, so you have to provide them with enough stimulation when you aren't Available so they can be productive not destructive.

having a too is like a child, everyone in the the house ends up being a caretaker. Never yell at or punish your bird either. Pretty much every waking moment you are home...should be time spend with/around your too. . Its a HUGE responsibility to be owned by a too. They are worth every moment of it.

your too is acting out for a reason. She won't just scream incessantly for no reason. Offer her consistency, a good diet, a spacious but intriguing environment, and a bit of discipline... Or should I say "training".

your husband and you both need to do a bit of research on the basics of diet etc. Find a avian vet in the area in case of emergency, and work at providing your too with what she needs. It is Not easy. I hope you hang in there and she doesn't end up bouncing to another home. Give her a chance, she deserves it.

the people here can be such a great resource, so ask questions ... But be prepared for the answers,we all love our birds, and want the best for them, so we tend to be a little rough around the edges. If you truly want to rescue this bird, its gonna be work!

what's her name ?

good luck
Jessica
Aristotle 6 yr old U2
Wolly 3 yr old IRN

#243869 - 04/05/12 02:29 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
stevejones75 Offline
stevejones75  Offline

I dont own a too but have looked after many over the years that are very complex and really need a schedule to keep to!

When you get up in the morning what do you do? If your at work till 5 to 6pm is she out all that time alone? Apart from her cage does she have any other area. I no with my Macaws they have stands java tree perches outside the cage kids toys and parrot toys paper cardboard untreated wood just anything i can find that they can destroy and keeps there minds active. She needs regular toy changes and lots of variety of foods.
i also feed my birds zupreem natural pellets but thats 20% of there diet i would say, they have fresh fruits and veg, soaked seeds nuts in shells cooked foods everyday and i mix it up so its not the same time everyday!
I work also a full time job i have converted a bedroom as the birds room so they are out playing in there different areas all day.
I have a day light light and radio on all day! and i make sure there cages are in a corner and in a part of the house they get 12 hours min sleep un interrupted every night!

Also do you have a flight or is your birds harness trained or clipped for outside time! the fresh air does wonders for all birdies x

You have to treat her fairly and you can not allow her to push the boundries if she screams and you let her out she knows if she screams your there to let her out!
Do you no if your husband shouts when she scream if your not there!
She may be getting mixed messages but it all is a reaction and screaming = attention!

Sorry babbled on for ages there

Good luck

#243873 - 04/05/12 04:48 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
All good info. But you need to examine exactly what Echo's Mom posted. Read, think, respond. Please, for the bird's sake.

Jody
#243876 - 04/05/12 05:44 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: EchosMom

When a behavior increases in frequency or is maintained it is being reinforced. All behavior has function. Now read what you wrote below. Why is she screaming? Let's see if you come up with the right answer, then we can talk about things you can do to reduce the behavior. smile

Originally Posted By: tinsleyducote
When I do put her in her cage she screams till I can't stand it any more and I let her out.

If you need help with this let me know and we'll work through it together. I wanted to give you some food for thought and see if you could step away from the situation just a bit and work through it yourself. Being able to identify what reinforces a behavior is a skill (among others) that you will need to help your bird become a successful companion.

#243877 - 04/05/12 06:20 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
Thanks guys your giving me good advice.I'm really worried about her diet. I don't think she is eating the zupream I think she is putting it in her water. I have tried to give her vegetable and she won't touch it. How many times a day should I feed her and do I remove her bowl when she does not eat it? I have converted my bed room to her a bird room so she has free rain. I give her lots of popsicle sticks to chew but need some ideas.I do know when she sees someone walking in the front yard like a cat or my son she starts to scream. Should I move her away from the window? I spend time with her in the morning before I go to work when I get home I spend time with her. She is starting to get possessive with the room. I keep the door clouded when she sees my dog walk by she climbs down from her cage runs to the bottom of the door and sticks her beck out trying to get my dog. I have a perch on the out side of her cage that she sits on. I have grid to put it back in her cage thinking that is why she won't go in her cage but again she voiced her disapproval. No my husband does not scream at her he has more patience with her than me He just lets me know he is losing his patience. He just goes to the door and stands there with a broom or something and she stops. He talks to her real calm and she listens. I'm learning more about her personally everyday. My husband is home through out the day he is a roofing contractor and is always on the phone that is another reason he wants me to get rid of her because when he gets on the phone she starts up. Echosmom please help. I know you can pull me through this..

#243879 - 04/05/12 05:30 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Hello again - glad you came back! What is your bird's name?

One very important tool for you to keep in your tool box is a scale that weighs in grams so you can monitor her weight. Gradual and continual weight loss is the first observable sign that we can see indicating illness and since you are concerned if she is eating enough, weighing her daily will also keep tabs on that for you. Also remember, healthy birds do not starve themselves.

First I want to stress that sanctuary (zoo) environments are not always best for every bird. A bird that is human-bonded may, or may not do well...depends mostly on the bird. Making this kind of decision should not be done lightly and you cannot always presume that it is what is ultimately best for the bird.

Please visit the cages, aviaries and toys forum to get some ideas in providing enrichment for her. 'Toos are very intelligent and she needs things other than popsicle sticks to stimulate her...a boredom leads to behavior problems. A couple of my birds absolutely love just plain chucks of untreated pine cut in about 3" pieces. I put them in their SS buckets and they love to make toothpicks out of them. Foraging toys are also very stimulating for them. You will have to expert to see what kind of toys she prefers.

If seeing out the window is upsetting her you can try moving her. I also recommmend moving her to the mainstream of the house...she's isolated in a room all day, alone with little to do. I'd be screaming too. Why does your husband stand at the door with a broom (or something) - sounds like he's visually threatening her and that is NOT GOOD! You need to use positive reinforcement always - introducing an adverse stimuli is negative reinforcement.

Did you give any thought to the question I asked you about why she is screaming (other than the above?). You said that when she screams you let her out because you can't stand it anymore. She has learned that when she screams, you let her out of her cage. If you allow her to scream for awhile then let her out, you have taught her that she has to scream louder, and longer to get what she wants. I am NOT suggesting that you ignore the screaming - what I am suggesting is that you go to her BEFORE she starts screaming.

It sounds to me as if your bird is living a very boring life of mostly solitude, and that goes against the very nature of the birds. She needs to be made a part of your family and treated as such. It's fine to keep her in a birdroom when you are at work and when you husband is busy at home...providing she has things to do but she also needs lots of time out in the mainstream of your home. You can buy, or perhaps your husband can build stands for her so she can be out and about in the mainstream of family life like she deserves to be. Let her engage in family mealtime, play games with her (fetch and tug-o-war, etc) - she is a family member...not just a bird.

Is there any reason why your husband can't have her out of the room some during the day?? I suspect that making this change alone will begin to reduce the screaming...she's bored and lonely.

#243903 - 04/06/12 04:01 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
I have four small dogs 2 old ones that are 14. I used to let her out in the living room but she would charge the dogs. I was scared she would bite them so I quit letting her in the living room. She is out of her cage all day. She has freedom of the whole room. Today I came home to a disaster. My husband was trying to do his taxes and he said as soon as the phone rings she started screaming and would not stop. When I got home she was screaming till I went in there with her. Please tell me what to do. I own a catholic gift store and this is my busiest time of year. I come home exhausted. I would like to take her to my store and keep her with me. I could get her a tree stand but I don't know how she will do. I dont want her to start screaming in the store and run my customers off. I'm willing to do any thing....

#243913 - 04/06/12 05:37 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
The advice given to you already is what you need to do if you can not accommodate her you will not see changes in her behavior.It sounds to me like she is lonely,while she has freedom from her cage she is still alone and these birds are flock beings.They need to feel part of the family and her flock is now you!I get that you are exhausted at the end of the day.I work in Nursing in a very large Psychiatric Facility.We work 12 hour days and do 3 in a row...I come home from that and work for 3 hours trying to spend some time with my flock and clean and feed them before collapsing in bed...your preaching to the choir but those of us who have to work still have a commitment to our flock and do what needs to be done.Like I said I work 12 hour days but on those days I have to get up at 4:30am to get myself ready for work and feed the birds by 6:00am be at work for 7:00 am and not get home until 7:30 pm...my day does not end until 10:00 pm usually.

I have 4 small dogs and they get a room of their own for periods of the day so I can interact with the birds in the main part of the house.There is nothing wrong with this.If they are not in another room they can be outside for a while weather permitting.I have worked this out because it wasn't the birds choice to come live with me it was MINE and I made that commitment.

I want you to think of something here...you put yourself in a room with few things to do.You have a magazine,some cereal,and water.The door is shut and you are left in this room and are not allowed out except for brief periods.You can hear everyone enjoying their day in the rest of the house but your not allowed to join them.Then you hear your favorite person come home.You are still not allowed to go see them you have to stay in your room.After some time of this...days and weeks...how do you feel and what will you do?

Last edited by Janny; 04/07/12 12:45 AM.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#243936 - 04/07/12 08:06 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
The poor bird has been with you for a month, did you say? That is not long enough for her to know you, or you to know her. A year isn't long enough, However, if you want to distract her from your prolonged (from her point of view) desertions, take her, in a cage or carrier, to your store when it's closed. Put the cage or carrier on a table or shelf, and sit next to it, and feed her treats through the bars. If you do books or restocking after hours, she can watch ("supervise") and talk to you, and you can sing or talk to her. After at least twenty minutes, take her home, allow her to come out and talk to you for a short time, and then begin a "bedtime routine". This is going to mean she sleeps in the next day, to get her full 12 hours' sleep.
This accomplishes several things at once: she has time with you alone, she learns where you go, she sees you in unfamiliar surroundings, and then returns home, and she finds out that a trip in the carrier can be pleasant. If you can do this maybe two or three times a week, she will get to hope for it, and yet not actualy get into a habit of demanding it. See how she does in the store, in a cage. I personally wouldn't allow her out of the cage in the store for at least a year or two. She needs to feel safe, but feel not that she owns the place and is entitled to chase customers. That is lawsuit territory!
The question is, can you make room for a cage big enough that she can be in it, with playthings and activities to amuse her, for the number of hours you work? If not, don't take her. A screaming bird is NOT attractive shop furniture!!!! A friendly, active, talking bird can be a twofold blessing: some folks will be intrigued enough to bring their friends, and also you can explain the difficulties involved in keeping a large bird, which may keep someone out of the trap into which you have fallen! (that of buying a bird you didn't really understand) Of course, a LOT depends on what sort of store you run. A parrot in a pet-supplies store is one thing; a parrot in a bridal gown dealership, however. . . .^^!

Jody
#243937 - 04/07/12 10:16 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
No one can "pull you through this" except yourself and your family members that share the home with your bird. Teaching is not doing. We are here to offer suggestions, guidance and support but it's up to you how effectively you follow and implement them. There is no magic wand or silver bullet. 'Toos are ALOT of work. It's really a shame for the bird that you didn't do your research before buying her...she has went from one bad situation to another and risks the loss of her "home" yet again.

#243940 - 04/08/12 01:45 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
LSCmom Offline
LSCmom  Offline

Baltimore, MD
A couple of issues here, none that will be quickly solved. I would encourage you to look at the whole picture and adopt a realistic plan that will result in a liveable solution for your family. First, you only adopted the bird a month ago & it is likely that the bird had some issues that she brought with her. Second, the abundance of attention & the absolute freedom when she came into your home may have heighten those issues. Now, how to find a way out of the situation. When I got my second hand too about 12 years ago, I wanted to give her tons to time & attention. The best advice I received was, whatever you do on a daily basis (attention) be prepared to do daily forever & ever. You can not give a bird lots of attention (petting) and give it freedom then not expect to have issues with behavior & screaming when they don't get their way. You need to be prepared for this situation to take months to resolve, there isn't a quick fix. You need to scale back the over abundance of attention, out-time from the cage, special foods, etc., and get your bird on a routine that you can live with long term. During the transition be prepared for more acting out, don't give in, it will resolve. The solution isn't necessarily handing her off to home #3. Please think this through & see if you can handle the transition, this is similar to a spoiled two-year old having a very loud temper tantrum. Keep a routine, regular food, sleep time, a certain amount of attention time that you can live with, etc. I would tell my bird 'no' & cover her cage when she was acting out. Now, I can tell you that she truly rarely screams and it is specific to a desire (popcorn, pizza, etc.) and she stops when I tell her 'no', although my son calls her the cockatoo-mafia for popcorn. She has adjusted quite nicely.

#243942 - 04/08/12 02:55 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: LSCmom]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
Oh, boy. It is always hard to take privileges away from a parrot. Being "at liberty" is a big privilege. Don't worry. She will get used to the changes that must be made. Be compassionate. This is not about covering her and telling her she is a bad bird until she figures out how to get it right. You must actively reward substituted behaviors. This site is full of ideas on how to offer acceptable substitute behaviors. She has to LEARN how to keep herself busy. You have to REWARD the behaviors you want. Special foods are just fine. Routines are good. Attention is good. Just try to reward the GOOD behavior as much as possible. "Ambient attention" is very important. This is how the bird learns to be comfortable. Good luck.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#243944 - 04/08/12 05:16 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: Birdfriend]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Originally Posted By: jm47
The poor bird has been with you for a month, did you say? That is not long enough for her to know you, or you to know her. A year isn't long enough, However, if you want to distract her from your prolonged (from her point of view) desertions, take her, in a cage or carrier, to your store when it's closed. Put the cage or carrier on a table or shelf, and sit next to it, and feed her treats through the bars. If you do books or restocking after hours, she can watch ("supervise") and talk to you, and you can sing or talk to her. After at least twenty minutes, take her home, allow her to come out and talk to you for a short time, and then begin a "bedtime routine". This is going to mean she sleeps in the next day, to get her full 12 hours' sleep.

I have to disagree...I am all for if you have to vet a bird getting it into a carrier and doing the necessary but this bird has not had any time to trust anyone and to start putting it into a carrier which even in a very trusting bird can be hard...I see too many withdrawals from the trust account.I don't believe in toweling unless it is absolutely necessary and I don't think this warrants that and I also do not believe this cockatoo will go in without bites or going without toweling yet.

Like mentioned in another post by Charlie...

Originally Posted By: Charlie
You can solve a lot of problems by putting your birds down in a dark and quiet place just after sunset. This is the natural way for them and they will adapt to it. If you are having "dance parties", letting birds lay eggs in your lap and holding them at all hours of the night then you are risking their health and ensuring problems in the future, both for yourself and your bird. If you put them down late so they will "sleep in" then you are just abusing your bird for your own comfort and you shouldn't have a cockatoo or any other parrot, for that matter. This site is here to help you solve problems and ensure a healthy bird so let's not even entertain goofy late night parties.

Jan

#243945 - 04/08/12 05:27 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
I counsel patience and what the others have said are right on. My Lucy still screams when I come in the house and I alway tell her I will be right there and go as soon as phyically possible. She is a truly amazing bird and definitely not for everyone, but we all adjusted our schedules and live our lives around the feathered ones. My husband has come a long way and is very helpful in most all ways. He has now learned to talk to her and will attempt my morning ritual - pretty funny - as it involves singing and dancing and lots of noise!! when I'm not at home. He often will call me and let me listen while I giggle and then break into full-fledged laughter when Lucy just can't understand this man who is tone deaf and can't dance....makes me tear up every time.

Now that said, when I am here, he will carefully scritch Lucy's crown, but he refuses to handle her whether I am here or not. Once bitten, twice shy 100%.

However, this still works for us. In an emergency we learned how to towel her so that isn't an issue if she needs rushed to the vet.

After the first month or two I thought we might need to rehome Lucy because my hisband was pretty adamant we would not be able to handle her. I credit this board to our upcoming 5th anniversary! (Wow - went fast)

He sure is a love with the flock, though and helps wioth feeding and some cage cleaning (make that a little)!!! Get your husband involved in the solution in a way he can handle. *fingers crossed*

Also, fruits and veggies are a must in the diet and ours all love them! I wish you all the best, whatever decision you make.

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#243966 - 04/09/12 03:06 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Sorry. I was thinking more about taking the bird to work after she had been with the family long enough to learn some trust; a year or more, probably. Didn't make that clear, and I apologize.
"Slow" is the word of the year, perhaps of the decade!

Jody
#243968 - 04/09/12 04:26 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: jm47]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
All I ask is when members post to anyone they make sure they specify and think about what they are posting to NOT give the wrong impression.We don't know one another and a lurker reading this or even this member being so new to mytoos and cockatoos also may have done something drastic...we really have to think and post from all angles here.

Jan

#243969 - 04/09/12 07:25 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
Update: I have so much to tell you. Well for starters I took your advice. When i get home I would take Nicole in the bed room are where ever my dogs were not shut the door fold cloths or just be in a different room. Well Easter I thought would be a disaster with all the kids coming over. Well my son who lives next door to me about 50 feet away took Nicole out side made a make shift perch put her on it and she was the life of the party. She entertained us just about all day. She is such a ham. Of course she fussed when I put her back in her cage but she stopped after awhile. My family know including my husband that this is a family affair and we all have to work with her. We are trying. My son which Nicole loves said he would take her next door somtimes to give us a break but now my husband says if can stay if she keeps the screaming down lol. I think he is getting attached to my Too. I wish I could post a video or a picture but dont know how. Now for the eating. I just order some organic food pellets which is suposed to be 100% money back if she does not eat them.I'm spending a fortune in food she will not touch. If I could just get the eating down I will feel better. I have tried every kind of fruit and veg she wil not touch it. But now that she is going outside and getting sun shine and freash air which she has never done before maybe her appetite wil pick up. I am documenting every thing with video,What I thought was a curse has become a blessing. My husband and my son sharing a bird they have come to love....

#243970 - 04/09/12 07:43 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I really hope that YOU understand she can still fly even if she is clipped.We have had many members take their clipped birds outside and they have flown away and some never get returned home.This is a huge risk.You need to have her outside in a cage,carrier or harness!

Jan

#243971 - 04/09/12 09:35 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
Thanks Janny we plan on building a out door aviary. I'm going to buy her a cage carrier.... Thanks for the info. I would die if that happened..

#243974 - 04/10/12 02:43 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
I'm so glad things took a turn for the better. You should know that screaming is about as normal as it gets for a parrot locked in a room alone. In the wild, a parrot by itself will soon be a dead parrot. Parrots scream to find the flock and return to it when the flock mates scream back. A lone parrot is a dead parrot. She is certainly going to scream when she knows the flock (you & the family) is nearby. She knows she should be with you. It is also a great idea to greet the parrot when you get home as quickly as is reasonable. It is like it would be with a child. They say, "Hi, mommy!" jumping up and down all excited that you are home. If you ignore them they will just keep trying to get your attention (and probably drive you nuts). If you stop and acknowledge them with a little attention, things calm down.

As far as eating is concerned, the bird probably doesn't even know all that expensive stuff is supposed to be eaten. It's sad, but she probably doesn't even recognize it as food. You are going to have to eat (or pretend to eat) the stuff in front of her. The more happy and excited you can act about the stuff, the better. They say children have to be exposed to a new food 10 times before they will eat it. Certainly we can give our birdies the benefit of that research. Keep trying. Don't forget that birds eat together when the whole flock eats. Use that to your advantage in introducing those new foods.

Tell your husband "Thanks!" from me for being willing to work with the birdie!

Last edited by Birdfriend; 04/10/12 02:44 AM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#243977 - 04/10/12 04:40 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
GOOD to hear!
When I brought home our most recent rescue, he had a filthy dish with filthy seeds in it. I washed out the dish, after throwing away the seeds, and put in pellets, which is what we had. They were Zupreem Natural ones. He acted as if he hadn't seen them before, and I picked up one and ate it (thay aren't all that bad; better than some "people food" stuff I've tasted) and he tried one, and still (6 years later) thinks they are treats! That tactic didn't work quite as well with broccoli; he will eat that when I am eating it, sometimes. Vegetables and fruit are a "one day he likes this, and another day he likes something different" deal. I find that I don't want to eat the same stuff each day; why should he? Probably your too is similarly inclined.
You are getting to know her. Relax and take your time. This is a long, long journey. . .

Jody
#244010 - 04/11/12 10:03 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
jenlusbri Offline
jenlusbri  Offline

Sounds like things are really looking up for you! Congradulations and I hope all keeps going well for you! I am by no means an expert. I do have the "luxury" I guess of having a large back room to our home where I keep Sig and Bonnie so the screaming is not an issue. I hear him with his normal morning and night calls but it's not to a level as if it were in the same room. So, he can do his natural yelling and chatting and calling and it's not an issue at all. When I get home I do hear the screaming and I always say, "Yes I hear you Siggy!" and when I "decompress" for a few I go in and have our chit chats and snuggles and such. Although, this is not every single day. I have found that NOT having an exact routine has worked for Siggy well. Each day may be a little different then before, as far as when and how long he is out of the cage, how much one on one time, etc. This just works for us, I'm sure not for all. But on our occasional weekend visits to family, if we can't bring him, having a friend come over to feed/water/check up on him has not bothered him or his "routine"...

#244063 - 04/14/12 03:47 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
Now that my son has been bringing Nicole outside. It seems she is losing some feathers. Is that normal? I do see her eating her zupreem natural. I ordered some pellets 100% guarantee or money back if she don't eat them.. We are getting used to her screams in the morning and the evening. This is a family affair. Next week we are going to start building an outside aviary. I love seeing her in a natural habitat or just enjoying the sunshine. She is going in her cage more and when she does I let the dogs go in there and play and ruff house. When I let her out her cage and she comes in the living room the first thing she does is tries to bite my old dog who can't walk. I told her no very firm and put her in her cage and she knew she did something wrong.It has been an adventure that is for sure. I just wish she wouldn't attack my dogs and we could live happily ever after....lol

#244079 - 04/14/12 08:38 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Did you take my advice as far as taking her outside?Are you using a carrier,cage or harness something similar for protection from flying away or being a meal for another animal?

Also punishment does not work with cockatoos Please read in the behavior forum all the sticky topics at the top of the forum.They will be of much help to you!

The feather issue...no one here will know.If you have worries she is sick or something is not right place a call and make an appointment with your Avian Vet please.It could be regular molting it might mean she got too drafty,could mean allot of things what information you give is not enough...

Jan

#244178 - 04/16/12 11:57 PM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
tinsleyducote Offline
tinsleyducote  Offline

Louisana
We are building an outdoor aviary this week. Thanks I think she is molting

#244180 - 04/17/12 02:37 AM Re: Help! my husband wants me to get rid my too [Re: tinsleyducote]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Has she seen an avian vet yet? Its important for her to get seen by an avian vet and get checked out and its good to get that relationship started. as far as the food goes, you might try using the pellets and veggies in birdie bread you can do a search here and find all kinds of reciepies. my birds want anything im eating so try letting her see you enjoying the veg mixture and be sure to make the yummy noises, like you would with a child. i know jan has said this a couple of times but be careful outside, get her used to a harness, not only can your girl take flight, there are all kinds of owls and hawks you may not see just waiting for a easy meal and what a heart break that would be. glad things are going better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny